Climb into a MiG-29 [cockpit videos]

nscode

Once you've seen these two videos, you will understand why I think they deserve a sepparate topic. 30 minutes of cockpit sound and video, startup to shutdown. Clicks, clocks, hydraulics, fans... unedited, you hear it all. First one is front view, and second one is back view showing the pilot. View of the instruments and radio sounds would make it perfect, but it's amazing anyway. It's also good for ED reference if at some time they decide to model the 29 :) And I should say it right away - don't try this stuff in LO ;)

I will try to get more info on the flight, but I can tell you that it is an Yugoslav MiG-29, and the time frame is most likely '97-'98.

Without further ado,

http://avijacija.net/video/mig29_yugoslav_air_force.avi

http://avijacija.net/video/mig29_yugoslav_air_force2.avi

:joystick:

• Like 6

Never forget that World War III was not Cold for most of us.

The pilot is Milenko Pavlović, who died 4. May 1999 above Valjevo. He was the commander of 204th.

101.jpg

He littrely pulled out a younger pilot out of the plane who was just about to take off, saying

You're not going to go there and die, I am.

RIP

• Like 1

Very Nice thank you. I was wandering, I only downloaded the first video, and you mention they do the start to finish? I did not see the starting sequence in the first video, was it there?

Also, I found some manual for the MIG-29A, I do not know how accurate they are or if they are for the real jet but I thought it was very cool, also they are in Spanish:

http://www.cruzdesanandres.com/Biblioteca/Manual_de_pilotaje_y_navegacion_del_MiG-29A.pdf

http://www.cruzdesanandres.com/Biblioteca/Manual_de_combate_del_Mig-29.pdf

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Thank again. I downloaded the second part or second video and I did found it more interesting. I do agree with you that instrument view would have been very interesting I did find the pilot view very interesting as well.

--For one I found the ground crew to be next to the cockpit unique, not doing that myself as a aircraft mechanic. I wander if the pilot had some kind of malfunction or if it is normal operation for the ground crew to check the canopy before engine start. It did seem that the pilot had something wrong when first closing the canopy.

--I found it very amazing that the pilot seem to do very little operational checks, if any, before and after engine start and taxi. I know that he did a short flight and seem to be doing and air show/demonstration of some sort, but our pilots (USAF) like to turn equipment on and brake it whether they are using that equipment or not.

--I also found very interesting how much time of the flight he spend looking at the instrument console, seem that way. I wander if he was checking a specific instrument or if it normal to fly heads down so often in the MIG-29.

--Cool to see the aircraft buffeting/shaking during high alpha. Thing that are hard to see during outside videos of the aircraft.

All in all very good video, great find, thank you

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

I downloaded the K-Lite Codec Pack and after installing it, I noticed the Media Player Classic - Homecinema was installed as well. This "media Player Classic" can play these video files.

Thermaltake Kandalf LCS | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | Etasis ET750 (850W Max) | i7-920 OC to 4.0 GHz | Gigabyte HD5850 | OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 2000 | 2 X 30GB OCZ Vertex SSD in RAID 0 | ASUS VW266H 25.5" | LG Blue Ray 10X burner | TIR 5 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Logitech G930 | Saitek Pro flight rudder pedals | Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

For an aircraft that has seals (and other parts) that are expiered 5+ years, it's normal that things need more than one go to fit properly ;)

Someone mentions in the begining that it's the second flight, so that might explain short checks. The HUD might have been inop or obstructed by the cameras, so he had to use gauges for reference.

--For one I found the ground crew to be next to the cockpit unique, not doing that myself as a aircraft mechanic. I wander if the pilot had some kind of malfunction or if it is normal operation for the ground crew to check the canopy before engine start. It did seem that the pilot had something wrong when first closing the canopy.

That's a Fulcrum mate! It has FOD doors so standing near the aircraft or in front of it with engines running means no harm for ground crew nor the plane itself!

Checking the canopy, yeah it's sort of a standard procedure in these parts of the world, pilots here at Croatian airforce who fly MiG-21 bis always close the canopy, open it and close it again just to check it's not stuck in closed position. There's no "cut the pilot out of the plane" F-22 situations so far.

--I found it very amazing that the pilot seem to do very little operational checks, if any, before and after engine start and taxi. I know that he did a short flight and seem to be doing and air show/demonstration of some sort, but our pilots (USAF) like to turn equipment on and brake it whether they are using that equipment or not.
It's Fulcrum again! Made that way, ready to fly in less than 3 minutes! True FEBA bird! I sometimes miss those "old school" mechanical parts where you're able to see your problem in a glance if there is one. Browsing all the MFD menus, looking for a problem to check is just time consuming, isn't it?!

--I also found very interesting how much time of the flight he spend looking at the instrument console, seem that way. I wander if he was checking a specific instrument or if it normal to fly heads down so often in the MIG-29.
The most important gauges of a MiG-29 can be seen in pic below. Their importance is accented by a white lined oblong box. HUD provides less info than what you're used to in USAF but heads down flying means IFR flying!

ScreenShot_037-1.jpg

So during any maneuvering part of the flying, especially during IFR, gauges are observed in this order:

1) PNP-72 aviohorizon (ADI)

2) DA-200 variometer (VVI)

3) PNP-72

4) tachymeter (km/h)

5) PNP-72

6) KУPC РП (compass)

So you can see PNP-72 (ADI) being the most important instrument, most of pilot's attention is payed to it so if you take a look at that pic I posted you'll noticed those intruments are placed in order of importance with PNP-72 centered and ther gauges forming a "T" like shape around it.

Edited by Vekkinho

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Mvsgas. I am the translator of the Mig-29 9-12 Fulcrum, both combat and flight manuals.

Both of them are translated from russian to spanish using REAL russian flight and combat manuals available in the web. With the very kind support of a russian friend, some bablefish and others materials i am very proud to said that the translation is very near to the real thing in russian. I will qualified it near 90% literal.

Is in spanish but i think is much more easier to translate it form spanish to english than from russian to english.

If you want to ask something about procedures explained in this manuals, please ask me.

Edited by Esac_mirmidon
  • Like 1

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

Mvsgas. I am the translator of the Mig-29 9-12 Fulcrum, both combat and flight manuals.

Both of them are translated from russian to spanish using REAL russian flight and combat manuals available in the web. With the very kind support of a russian friend, some bablefish and others materials i am very proud to said that the translation is very near to the real thing in russian. I will qualified it near 90% literal.

Is in spanish but i think is much more easier to translate it form spanish to english than from russian to english.

If you want to ask something about procedures explained in this manuals, please ask me.

First I must say thank you very much for your manual, I found them a long time ago by a google search. I speak Spanish (Yo soy de Puerto Rico) and it was no problem understanding what the manuals say. I hope it is ok by you me posting the link here. Sorry about me questioning the manual credibility, I just did not know anything about you, the author nor the source. I hope you understand and that I have not upset you or disrespect you in any way by posting the link to them here. At any rate thank you for the manuals.

Un millon de gracias por tu trabajo.

Edited by mvsgas

To whom it may concern,

No need to apologize Mvsgas.

When i read your post my reaction was proud and happiness. Is the first time i can see a work of mine in this forum and i am very happy that you mentioned it. Feel free to use, read or mention any document or file in our web.

Thanks for your kind reply.

No me ha parecido mal en absoluto tu post. Solo queria aclarar que el manual se basa en los originales rusos que estan en la web. Gracias por hacerme famoso XDDD.

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4