Mission Designer Resource

EvilBivol-1

Please use this thread to collect real life data that you feel may be useful in creating realistic mission scenarios in DCS. For example, detailed high resolution maps that can help the mission designer identify landmarks and borders or OOB records that can help create realistic force concentrations, etc. Also, air, ground and naval tactical guides might be helpful to mission designers in composing and positioning units on the map in a realistic fashion. Other resources welcome.

Edited by EvilBivol-1

- EB

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nothing is easy. Everything takes much longer.

The Parable of Jane's A-10

Forum Rules

• 1 month later...

Mission Designer Resource

For mission building I spend quite a bit of time researching the order of battles. But as a lately discovered, all the time I had this great ressource right under my nose:

US Army Field Manual 100-60: Armor- and Mechanized-Based Opposing Force: Organization Guide

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/policy/army/fm/100-60/fm100-60.pdf

The organisation discussed is of a fictional OPFOR but quite obviously it is modeled after the soviet army.

Now please excuse me, I am off to learn how many Shilkas a SP AA gun platoon of an air defense battery from a BTR equipped, divisional mechanized infantry regiment has...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Unit Hidden/Visible Function Mod:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=45861

Wow, this is a great modification!

Very nice. :thumbup:

Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H | i7 4470k @ 4.5 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @ 2.133 Ghz | GTX 1080 | LG 55" @ 4K | Cougar 1000 W | Creative X-Fi Ti | TIR5 | CH HOTAS (with BU0836X-12 Bit) + Crosswind Pedals | Win10 64 HP | X-Keys Pro 20 & Pro 54 | 2x TM MFD

I think a simple method can be used to create SAM or typical units templates :

Use a mission with groups already positionned on the map. The user loads the mission, read a simple description of the template and even a screenshot, select the group and then create his template with it giving him the name he wants.

I made an example mission with FARP units but it's french. I will try to translate it as soon as possible to test it ;)

EDIT : I made my little translation (sorry for my poor english )

If you want to try this method, load this file : T_FARP_units

Put the mission file in your mission directory.

Use the mission menu to open the file : look at the picture and read the mission description to create this little unit template.

It's just an example ... to see if it's a good way to create unit templates.

It can be usefull to create a mission including many templates with dedicated screenshots and descriptions.

The possibility to make units templates including building and different types of units could really be very usefull :(

Edited by PB0_CEF

[/url]All known Dynamic Campaign Engine Campaigns

Last DCE news : Crisis in PG - Blue version

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Detailed publicaton of the armed conflict between Russia and Georgia on August 8-12, 2008.

Content:

- Timeline of the georgian-russian hostilities in August 2008

- Russian air losses in the five day war against Georgia

http://www.cast.ru/files/The_Tanks_of_August_sm_eng.pdf

Map:

- Disposition of the georgian troops as of the beginning August, 2008

- Operation of the georgian troops on 8. August, 2008

http://www.cast.ru/files/The_Tanks_of_August_map_sm.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
For goodness sakes, if you want the definitive guide to CAS tactics, you won't find better than this. Declassified NATO document.

Actually, you might find better -- I've been reading a book about CAS in Afghanistan, and the CAS "pros" have a label above the shredder in their office/area:

"DOCTRINE"

I haven't read the document you linked to -- and I'm sure much of it is relevant -- but apparently the ability to improvise, create, and think of one's toes, along with knowing seemingly everyone else's job (pilots/ground commanders), plus being an expert in not only the latest in communications equipment, but also all the other technologies from the 20th century (UHF, VHF, etc.) -- these guys are really something! I'm referring to the TACP's, and since I'm only a quarter into the book, I haven't yet resolved that acronym (actually i'm listening to the audiobook) -- the narrator isn't saying AFAC, or JTAC -- definately TAC - P. Man I'm lazy -- I better just get a link to the book. Here it is:

Danger Close: Tactical Air Controllers in Afghanistan and Iraq by Steve Call

I swear, it seems like every book I come across -- the author's name is always some kind of pun on the topic of the book :doh:

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

NTTR items

Not sure if this is the right place for this... However,

While looking at the NTTR images WAGS posted, I couldn't help but notice all of the new AGE equipment sitting around the Nellis Ramp. My question is will any of this AGE be available for use in user created maps?

Sierra

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

• 3 months later...

For curiosity and for references I have compiled the historical locations of all PVO (Air Defense Force) SAM sites at the end of the Cold War in the DCS Caucasus map area into a template. The majority of SAMs are still SA-2 which are not (yet) in DCS. I have substituted them with SA-3, so area coverage is a bit smaller. Total sites deployed in the region include: 25 SA-2, 12 SA-3 and 2 SA-10. In addition there were two SA-5 groups (each with two collocated Battalions), which I didn't include due to the lack of a suitable substitute.

Source: http://www.ww2.dk

From the same source I have also compiled the combat aviation units stationed in the region in the 1980s:

PVO Air Defense Forces

Krymsk

562 IAP - Yak-28P (-1987), Su-27 (1987-)

Gudauta

529 IAP - Su-15TM (-1987), Su-27 (1987-)

Marneuli

166 GvIAP - Su-15 (-1983), Su-15TM (1989-)

VVS Frontal Aviation

Senaki-Kolkhi

176 IAP - MiG-23M (-1985), MiG-29 (1985-)

Kobuleti

841 GvIAP/GvAPIB - MiG-23M

Kutaisi

143 BAP - Su-24M

Vaziani

982 IAP - MiG-23MLD

313 ORAP - MiG-21R (-1984), Su-17M3R (1984-)

Marneuli

166 GvAPIB - Su-17M3 (1983-1988 )

Maykop

709 UAP - MiG-21

Krasnodar Center

802 UAP - Su-22, Su-24, Su-25, Mi-8

DA Long Range Aviation

Mozdok

182 GvTBAP - Tu-95

Perhaps you can find it useful for mission building or just find it interesting from a historical point of view.

Screen_131226_211950.thumb.jpg.68ae7fccf7744a223cdfc5405f220f91.jpg

PVO_1989_SAM_Template.miz

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

i'd like to find a list of all the objects that can be placed in the game through the mission editor - i think that would be very helpful when designing missionsdoes anybody know where a list of objects in the DCS world can be found?

bonus points if we can separate them out (sort?) into aircraft, vehicles, bldgs, etc..

thx!

• Like 1

i7-4790K | Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkI | 16Gb DDR3 | EVGA GTX 980 | TM Warthog | MFG Crosswind | Panasonic TC-58AX800U

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]