GPS updating PVI800 Position ?

IvanK

As pointed out on another forum the manual states:

manual at page 3-35 (p. 159 in the PDF)

MENU/CONTROL/K-041 sub-mode page The K-041 page is used to check the status of the K-041 navigation and targeting system. When in “WORK” MODE, a countdown timer in seconds is displayed next to the TIME OUT field. This indicates the time until the next INS navigation fix from GNSS. Current aircraft coordinates; heading, track angle, and speed are also displayed here.

Can some one from the development team confirm that GNSS position updating of the PVI Inertial system is modelled and takes place.

As pointed out on another forum the manual states:

manual at page 3-35 (p. 159 in the PDF)

MENU/CONTROL/K-041 sub-mode page The K-041 page is used to check the status of the K-041 navigation and targeting system. When in “WORK” MODE, a countdown timer in seconds is displayed next to the TIME OUT field. This indicates the time until the next INS navigation fix from GNSS. Current aircraft coordinates; heading, track angle, and speed are also displayed here.

Can some one from the development team confirm that GNSS position updating of the PVI Inertial system is modelled and takes place.

EKRAN often enough tells me "Perform NAV POS fix" or something to that effect. So, yeah, the PVI is updated through the GPS, you can fly over the INS fix point (you know when you're over it because of your ABRIS), or you can use the Shkval to update your INS.

Or am I misinterpreting your question? Are you asking if the position is automatically updated?

May I also point out the K-041 is mainly the targeting system, and the PVI is the inertial navigation system (INS). So, maybe the K-041 is updated automatically, but I know for sure the PVI isn't.

-Z

[sigpic][/sigpic]

I aaaaaam ... a banana!

"EKRAN often enough tells me "Perform NAV POS fix" or something to that effect. So, yeah, the PVI is updated through the GPS, you can fly over the INS fix point (you know when you're over it because of your ABRIS), or you can use the Shkval to update your INS."

All that EKRAN message means is you are within 15km (I think) of a pre planned Fix/update point.

I agree with you I dont think the PVI is updated by GNSS.

as i remember, the ABRIS/GNSS system is not very precise on its own - something around +/- 1000 meters/3000ft ? i'm really not sure...

the "perform NAV POS fix" is for updating the INS to a predefined point, and therfore very precise. BUT - there is a problem with this function, because the INU fixpoint is placed wrong on the map and abris!

try it out, create a mission with only one INU fixpoint placed on a building next to the airport or something. start the mission and check abris - the fixpoint is not where it should be, it's always misplaced by one "minute" (don't remember if LAT or LONG).

the workaraound would be to manually set / change the fixpoint with the PVI, but in the manual is nothing about it... there is the information, that "targetpoints or waypoints" can manually be entered, but not fixpoints.

so we need a patch for it, or a workaround form the dev's i assume.

Democracy is choice, not freedom...

If you make the INU update point an identifiable physical point (a bridge, confluence of rivers etc), then update against this object, the INU (waypoints, target points) will be aligned with the "world" even if it doesn't exactly match what you saw in the ME.

Cheers.

inside the ME, the INU update point is on the right spot. but inside the cockpit, this point is on a different position...

i thought, the updating of the INU is done by setting a locked or hovering-over spot to pre-defined coordinates?

so, are the coordinates set correct, but just shown wrong on the ABRIS? that would be nice...

Democracy is choice, not freedom...

Yes it has. All placed objects (units, statics, INU fixes etc) are slightly (some meters) displaced relative to the map in the ME.

Maybe as a work around (though the error is reasonably small.. - for preloaded target points you could think of it as +/- inteligence error margin :-)

If your intention is to use the INU point strictly for navigation in the BS world, set the INU point to an existing physical landmark & update off the landmark in game, not the visible marker in the ABRIS (though the two will be close enough that you will be able to find one from the other) & all will align... If you're particularly interested in a targeting point lining up with placed objects, you could place a static object enroute and fix the INS point over that, then your INS will be lined up with the objects you have placed...

Edited by Weta43

Cheers.

Assume I have the ABRIS totally shut off. I'm not using it at all in the flight.

If I have a fix point for the INU that I pulled the numbers off the ME and I update the PVI-800 using this point (either overfly or Shkval) will my INU be correctly aligned or no?

No, the ABRIS does not update the INS in the real helicopter, either. ED had contemplated implementing it anyway, because it's just too silly not to (which is how the text ended up in the manual), but they did not do so in the end. Not sure if they will in the future.

- EB

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nothing is easy. Everything takes much longer.

The Parable of Jane's A-10

Forum Rules