Scenario: Red Snow - 3 SP and 1 MP Mission

MBot

I am happy to present my second and last product of this winters holidays, the scenario Red Snow, a Russian battalion sized offensive operation against German forces. I call this a scenario, because it actually includes 3 different missions of the same operation, each heavily randomized.

http://cid-f33d8b1019e6f4ac.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Public/RedSnow.zip

Alternate: http://www.virtual-jabog32.de/index.php?section=downloads&subcat=64&file=1004

The basic features are:

-Large scale scenario of roughly battalion vs. company size forces. Might be quite performance intensive on weaker computers.

-Includes 3 different missions of the same scenario, Direct Fire Support, Flank Guard and Rear Area Attack.

-A random selection of one of three different enemy defensive setups, each being a unique approach, almost makes this 9 missions total. Additionally there is plenty of randomization for non mission critical units making each try play different.

-Includes a multiplayer version of the scenario for 6 players.

-Features detailed ground operations including recon units and artillery. Units will often reposition on the battlefield. Defensive tanks will mostly fight from hull down battle positions, making them hard to spot and even harder to kill even for the player.

-Radio calls of ground units (copyright @Gunship!)

attachment.php?attachmentid=23302&stc=1&d=1230990758

Sitrep:

Your squadron of the 45th Helicopter Regiment has been deployed to support the operations of the 14th Tank Regiment, 4th Guards Tank Division. You are currently based at the FARP 10 km behind the forward lines of the regiment. Steadily advancing westwards, we have faced heavy fighting with the 5th German Panzer Division for the last few days. Early this afternoon, the regiment has crossed the Goryachij river and set up positions along phase line (PL) BEAR. The regiment has received orders to take the Kaluzhskaya oil fields to the west.

Battle Plan:

The operation will be executed by the 3rd Tank Battalion, reinforced with elements of the 1st Motorized Rifle Battalion. Primary goal is to take the heights east of Kaluzhskaya (OBJECTIVE ANVIL), from where the oil fields can be controlled. One (1) tank company (callsign IRON 6) will advance on a southern axis and take OBJECTIVE HAMMER. One (1) tank and one (1) motorized rifle company (callsign STONE 6) will advance on a northern axis and assault OBJ ANVIL under overwatch cover of IRON 6. BRDM-2 recon sections will provide flank cover. One 152mm artillery battery (callsign MAUL) and 6 Ka-50 of the 45th Helicopter Regiment have been allocated to support this operation. The operation is expected to last for about 20 minutes. Intel reports about one (1) company strength force of the 5th German Panzer Division operating in our sector.

Mission - Rear Area Attack:

You are tasked to lead a flight of 2 Ka-50 to attack enemy support units between PL HOUND and PL WOLF in direct support of our offensive operations. Rob the enemy of indirect fire support by destroying C3 and artillery units. German HQ platoons (M113, HMMWV and Leopard-2) are essential to control and coordinate fire missions. As secondary targets you are to destroy supply and service units. Do not leave the sector of the regiment. Expect Stinger MANPAD, Gepard AAA, Roland SAM and Hawk SAM in our sector.

Mission - Direct Fire Support

You are tasked to lead a flight of 2 Ka-50 to provide direct fire support to IRON 6 and STONE 6. Attack any hostile unit between PL BEAR, PL HOUND and north of PL DEER. Support the assaults of OBJ HAMMER and OBJ ANVIL and minimize losses to our forces. Expect Stinger MANPAD, Gepard AA, Roland SAM and Hawk SAM in our sector.

Mission - Flank Guard

You are tasked to lead a flight of 2 Ka-50 to act as a flank guard south of PL DEER, between PL BEAR and PL HOUND. Your primary goal as flank guard are:

-Recon approaches into the flank of our main force.

-Destroy hostile recon units and prevent them from commanding indirect fire support.

-Prevent enemy advances into the flank of our main force.

Be advised that friendly BRDM-2 units are active south of PL DEER to act as additional ground based flank guard. Do not cross the phase lines of the regiment. Expect Stinger MANPAD, Gepard AAA, Roland SAM and Hawk SAM in our sector.

Suggestions, critics and comments are as always welcome. Enjoy :)

RedSnowBriefing.jpg.1d2c8babac4e9136766173ac019fc512.jpg

Edited by MBot
  • Like 7

Got em. Can't wait to try them. I will port them over to MP play for our group also. Thank you and keep them coming. I am getting comfortable enough that I might start "publishing" my missions I have been making also.

Edited by Dusty Rhodes

Dusty Rhodes

Play HARD, Play FAIR, Play TO WIN

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit / Intel i7 4790 Devils Canyon, 4.0 GIG /ASUS Maximus VII Formula Motherboard/ ASUS GTX 1080 8 GB/ 32 Gigs of RAM / Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog / TrackIR 5 / 2 Cougar MFD's / Saitek Combat Pedals/ DSD Button Box FLT-1

I click download, nothing happens, and the screen says done at the bottom. I would love to try there out. Any ideas?

Can you just put it here? It would be so much easier and sounds like a cool mission. Where you have the thumbnail is where I have seen most missions posted.

Edited by Sunjah

Remember, on Nov. 4th, vote for Black Shark for President!!!

Very odd, but I was able to download your single Flank Guard mission, and from there I used the scroll on the right of the screen to get to Red Snow. Then, it did download, but couldn't do it from original link.

From what I've read about them, they look great. THANKS!!! (I especially liked that "part of the bigger picture" statement, they sound like fun missions).

I am still learning how to fly, hover, take off calmly, using ABRIS, etc. As soon as I get up to weapons ability, these will be the first ones I try!

Remember, on Nov. 4th, vote for Black Shark for President!!!

MBot, you SB PRO player ;)

Actually I am not :) The price tag of SB PRO has always been a hurdle for me, as I am not that much into tanks as I am into aircraft (would spend that money on a DCS module easily). But considering my recent interest in tank warfare, I guess I realy should get SBP, eh?

Little bit off topic, but what are these fold-out shields on the front of the turret of the Leopards? (sorry, if that was allready answered everywhere on this forum)

I wondered about that too. Could be to detonate HEAT rounds before they reach the main armor, but that would only work against fire from +/- 45° of the turret front. And they actualy increase the visible profile from the front. I didn't realy find a site where this kind of armor is described.

Great missions MBot. You just overlooked one thing. It's nothing big and won't change anything in a scenerio (maybe number of satelites). If you set winter season you should also change a day count in briefing (just after HH/MM/SS) for proper moon phase and time of day (i think i read somewhere it's been modelled). 1st July is a 0 day. From 1st December to 1st March it's 184 to 263. As I said it's not a big deal but we love the details here and it's nice to see a mission zipped up to perfection ;). Thanks again for sharing and already awaiting next from you.

Here you got a table with average temperatures and rainfall for Tbilisi:

http://www.studentsoftheworld.info/pageinfo_pays.php3?Pays=GEO&Opt=climate

Edited by Poko24

• 2 months later...

Hi!

First of all, awesome mission!

Second, I think I've found a little bug. I've just checked mp version:

ONCE (SPOTREP Iron B 2) -> play "spotrep_tanks_iron6.wav" but this wav doesen't exist. (I' changed for Spotrep_Armor_Iron6.wav I supposed that was your intention)

AMD Ryzen 1400 // 16 GB DDR4 2933Mhz // Nvidia 1060 6GB // W10 64bit // Microsoft Sidewinder Precision 2

Little bit off topic, but what are these fold-out shields on the front of the turret of the Leopards? (sorry, if that was allready answered everywhere on this forum)

I wondered about that too. Could be to detonate HEAT rounds before they reach the main armor, but that would only work against fire from +/- 45° of the turret front. And they actualy increase the visible profile from the front. I didn't realy find a site where this kind of armor is described.

This is a mistake of Leopard modelers. ED promise to fix it in the first patch. In real life this 'ears' unfold only when turret turns 90° and engine compartment roof panel removes during engine maintenance or replacement.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=615814&postcount=159 — some photos.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I hope the author will not suit me for translating the description and briefing for a Russian language community of this forum? :smilewink:

Definitely not, the more that play it the better :)

• 7 months later...

I love this missions but I can't play them since patching up to 1.0.1c. BS freezes as soon as the ground units start moving (for example, on Flank Guard, just after passing WP2, when the message says the units started to move) and I have to Ctrl+Alt+Del to terminate it. Any ideas?????

:(

Edited by The Punisher

The Punisher

I just tried the direct support mission and it locked up when iron 6 and stone 6 were triggered to leave at the start.It might be a 101 patch problem.Ill try the others and let you know if they work.

Doesn't look good, same lockup in mission flank guard. It might be stuffed.

Edited by fangav