Problem with laser rangefinder

therion_prime

I know the laser range finder burning out so much is a real life feature but does it still happen in the KA50s of 2009? Does this happen to western laser range finders? Is this the state of the art in Russian laser manufacture or did Kamov buy the lot from a man in the pub for $20?

As regards the Ka-50 and the state of russian tech, from my (possible imperfect) knowledge:

Skhval: no longer produced.

Vikhr: no longer produced.

and so on.

I read a press release about the last production Ka-50's, where the gist of it seemed to be that those Ka-50's that have been built lately are basically built with parts that were already at the factory, so there was no real reason to not complete those airframes.

The Ka-52 and Mi-28 uses different targeting systems and Ataka ATGMs, which are better.

So no, it's not russian state of the art, it's 1980's tech.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 months later...
Ok. Though some issues are present with laser rangefinder, I may also say that:

laser rangefinder has limitations: 5 series with intervals of 30 minutes; 16 cycles of 10 seconds with intervals of 5 seconds in each serie. You may be not following these rules in your flights (and make more range counts than it is possible) and this will result in not working rangefinder. Not a bug but a feature.

Do it right, it was not clear, could you explain?

What better explanation could be there? In simple terms, do not rape your laser rangefinder unnecessarily with constant distance measure commands and it will serve faithfully even in longest (few hours) missions. ^_^

WBR, =FV=BlackDragon.

logo3435.gif[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 months later...
Well guys, whether it'a feature or bug - for me doesn't matter at all anymore.

No matter what I do trying to save the life of the laser, after 2 and a half loads of Vikhrs the laser just goes mad.

So my simple solution to that - I fly once - 12 Vikhrs, come back - rearm - that's another 12. On my second rearming I simply change the heli (RSh+RCtrl+Tab - engines off - parking brakes) and after full startup procedure I go again and with my new laser - blast whatever is left on the field .... Simple, easy - even gives time to go to the toilet and refresh. :thumbup:

Useful - yes

Realistic - why not.....

hi skypirate

when I land back on farc, engines off, parking brake, TAB+Rshft+RCtrl; nothing happens?

what could i be doing wrong?

have options

Permit Crash Recovery ON

Unlimited Fuel OFF

Unlimited Weapons OFF

Immortal OFF

hit escape, "Recover" is blue, game is paused, can only Quit.

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

• 1 month later...
The laser rangefinder operation is limited to five series of uses, with 30 minute intervals between them.

Each series gives you 16 lasings of up to 10 seconds, with 5 second intervals between lasings.

If you use the LRF more than this, you will damage it.

Still not clear.

1. What exactly is "lasing"? Locking a target with laser rangefinder or just turning on the laser rangefinder?

2. Regardless, that means I basically shouldn't have it on for more than 10 seconds at a time? And that also means each series is about 2 and a half minutes?

3. When designating targets for Datalink, I keep it on, lock target, send to Datalink, move on to next target, and repeat for 3 ~ 5 targets at a time. I just cannot do this in 10 seconds. Do I have to turn it off every 10 seconds and wait 5 seconds? I tried locking the target first and then turning on the LRF, this doesn't seem to work.

Lasing is the laser actively emitting radiation. Emission is computer-controlled in the STANDBY position.

Laser is supposed to operate for up to 20 seconds in Kh-25 missile designation mode. The "cycle, series, interval" are all concepts to simplify and organize ground maintenance. You tell the crew chief that you did X lasings, Y series and he marks it down in the records to know when the laser needs servicing based on a schedule. Don't take it too seriously! Heat builds up when the laser is used and needs time to cool... the laser does not have a wristwatch and is not counting to 16.

When you prompt the computer to do a rangefinder the lasing is generally a 3 second duration after pressing the Lock button or target tracking (TA) is achieved. It doesn't stay on continuously. Check manual page 8-15. You don't have to mess with the laser STANDBY/OFF switch. Leave it in STANDBY.

Rangefinding takes a lot of energy. The laser is in high-power mode when doing this. The reason is that only part of the beam hits the target and only part of the reflection is seen by the sensor on the Ka-50. Only a tiny bit of what is emitted is seen in the return energy so the original beam must be very powerful. Lasing many targets back-to-back-to-back means their 3-second durations are going to merge together into a longer continuous duration. Give the laser a break between lasings. You do not have to turn the laser control to OFF, STANDBY is ok all the time. Laser use is triggered by the Lock button so just don't press it as often.

More information here: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=49137