Don't get manuals at Fedex Kinko's

Evader

Ok, so I have some service manual PDF's for work I wanted printed up and spiral bound. I'll just take the PDF's for the 3 BS manuals down to Fedex Kinko's and get them done in Color too. :thumbup:

I stop by the next day, how much? $700+ the lady says. I can't remember the exact figure as I had a massive heart attack. After CPR (Kidding)I said "Your joking, right?"

"No, and that's with the discount"

Now my three work service manuals measure almost 2" thick for all three. The three BS manuals measure about 1.5" thick. I said for that, you can keep em. The store manager came and I said I was not told it was 59 cents per color copy, so she works up a deal for about $135 for my work stuff (expensed, so I did not care) and about $125 for the BS stuff (looking back I would have skipped the quick start manual).

But my plan was to hide the BS books in my expense report for my work manuals, but I did not :(

Expensive...VERY, but also it is so nice having a full color manual on good paper in a spiral bound book.

Bottom line....I would not expect the printed version from ED to be cheap, this thing is over 300 pages and it is really expensive at Kinko's, so wait for the ED version.

Jeez what a rip-off. even fifty bucks sounds steep.

yeah when i was younger, I went down to the copy shop with a bunch of my favorite album covers, and had them blown up in full color high quality posters. I was thinking how smart i was that I was going to have the coolest posters for dirt cheap. I remember when they were all done they told me how much it would cost, and I didnt even have enough money. I just took off. Then I went to another place and just did smaller lower quality black and whites. Im a bad person. Oh well though I was poor and just wanted something to put on my wall.

700.00 bucks though, i dont see how they can justify that at all. I mean how many of the pages even HAVE color.

sorry ED but the most I will pay for the manual is about 20.00 bucks plus shipping, I hope you guys dont get them published at kinkos. lol.

Edited by deadsmell

Dont let the smell get to ya...............

Don't forget that if you take something to a run-of-the-mill copy shop it's going to cost a fortune...

You send it to a professional printers and get it done in bulk it becomes a lot more cost effective.

It will probably be cheaper to buy the printed manual than to do it yourself, unless of course you can print it off at work...

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Wait...Kinkos let you copy it? That's far more amazing than the price tag IMO. What authorization from Eagle Dynamics did they ask for? When I wanted to print the F4AF manual, I had to contact Lead-Pursuit and get written permission from them to have Kinkos even print it for me.

I will say that the price was about $70 for printing and binding, and this is for a 750 page manual.

LOL. Staples wanted a dollar a page to print and bind the manuals. So instead, I printed all the manuals with my printer in highest settings and brought it to Staples so they can bind it for me. It will cost me 4 bucks for the 2 inch thick manual. Quite a savings eh?

LOL. Staples wanted a dollar a page to print and bind the manuals. So instead' date=' I printed all the manuals with my printer in highest settings and brought it to Staples so they can bind it for me. It will cost me 4 bucks for the 2 inch thick manual. Quite a savings eh?[/quote']

But....they're willing to print it out, no questions asked? They didn't care about the copywrite stuff?

If not, that is strange.

I always thought Kinko's was know for their strict stance on copywrite and copying non-original material. I can remember them even giving a friend of mine some guff for copying pages of his text book in college. They were very clear about copying the F4AF manual, no go unless the Lead-Pursuit gave the ok. I didn't actually go through with it though. Lead-Pursuit said to ask what exactly Kinko's required, but I never followed-up.

that seems a bit expensive..

i submitted it online just to see how much it was and for

Black and white double sided w/ color front page and bound manual was only going to be 38$

As far as the copyright material goes, is there a chance DCS could print on the Front Page some sort of Copy Disclaimer (like it is OK to make 1 copy for personal use)

I didn't see a copyright notice in the BS documents (at least not in the usual place inside the cover) and the PDF files allow copying text and pictures as needed ... so I'd say that most copy businesses would have little problem with printing personal copies.

IIRC, the Falcon 4:AF manual had a copyright notice on the inside cover. It would simplify things a lot if game developers/publishers would place a notice in their documents stating that printing for personal use was permitted. That should give them the IP protection they need while permitting users to make working copies.

BTW, a ++ to ED for allowing copy & paste with the documents ... sure makes checklists easier to put together.

WH_Blaster (Larry) :beer:

US Air Force (Retired, 1961-1981)

Join us for fun with the DCS series and other games at the War Hawks Squad website ... we are a mature gaming group that enjoys realism and having fun! http://war-hawks.net

System: i7=950 @ 3.3 GHz, GA-X58-UDR3 MB, 6GB RAM, GTX770, 256GB system SSD, 128GB gaming SSD, TIR5, TM HOTAS WH, HannsG 28-in, Acer 23-in touch screen.

Color is VERY expensive when you're going through a print service like Kinko's. I always upload my .pdf's through their online service and for fun I'll select the various print options and COLOR by far is the most expensive option. I will definately wait for the separate ED copy available for sale :P

But....they're willing to print it out, no questions asked? They didn't care about the copywrite stuff?

If not, that is strange.

They didn't care but you have an interesting point. I don't think those guys who work in the copying area are bright enough to think of such logistics.

Ok think about the printer they have at Kinkos is it a $150 HP scan-fax-print machine or is it a $10k plus dedicated color printer with all the bells and whistles. You may be able to print at home for $40 in paper & a new 4 color ink cartride but your manual probaly will be 393 single sided sheets. But when you need to change 4 color cartridges at $300+ per set every month and staff the machine 24-7 I think 59 cents a page is reasonable.

Anyway I used the paper cutter at Kinkos for free to cut the pages of my manual that I printed @ work. No employees hasseled me even though paying customers waited for me to finish using the machine. Not to mention all the other freebies they have laying around :D So while Kinkos counter services may suck if you can DIY they are reasonable.

Rig Specs: AMD FX-60 @ 2.6ghz - DFI Lanparty SLI UT - 4gb Mushkin Redline Ram - WD Raptor 300gb HDD - EVGA 260GTX 940mb - SoundBlaster something Live:P - Samsung 20.1" Syncmaster 204B (Camera) and Shuttle 17" xp17 (Abris & Shkval)

Flight Controls: Franken Force CH 568/Logitech Wingman Force 3D Hybrid - CH Pro Throttle - Logitech Momo Wheel Conversion to FFB pedals - Belkin N52

that seems a bit expensive..

i submitted it online just to see how much it was and for

Black and white double sided w/ color front page and bound manual was only going to be 38$

As far as the copyright material goes, is there a chance DCS could print on the Front Page some sort of Copy Disclaimer (like it is OK to make 1 copy for personal use)

Those specifications are exactly what I did and with tax came out to about $42. I got a copy done so I can begin reading through this quick and dirty manual while waiting for the one ED will sell us. No surprises for me, I actually checked price before I ordered the product.;)

First of all I wouldn't compare color LASER printing to color INKJET printing any day of the week. They are night and day. However for $700 I could buy a HP Color LaserJet 3600n.

I also wouldn't accept the BS about front/back printing. Even with a printer that doesn't do it for you, it's dead easy to print the even pages, turn the stack over and print the odd pages.

T he one thing I caught is how they drop the price after your initial heart attack,I mean they cut 500 denarios off...Was that all of their profit???

Yeah my printer is runnin overtime and I put the printed pages in plastic sleeves and then in a binder,label the chapter and title....presto...Yes I had to go buy cartridges once,but I still have alot more chapters to go! Sit down and round offf a price,its close to 100 bucks...so consider it a deal at 125, professionally done.

Maybe I go to kinkos and grab chest.... can't breath...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]