Multicore CPU performance improvement

Prophet

WOW! This is amazing! I was almost constantly below 30FPS and now with affinity set to both CPU's I'm between 40 and 50 on average. It runs really smooth now, like butter! Thanks VERY much for this tip!

BTW: I have a real budget CPU, AMD64 4200+ X2 2.2GHz @ 2.81 GHz. I also have 4xAA, 8xAF and MipMap set to High Quality (Radeon HD2900 Pro). Game settings are all on high except for view distance (medium) and shadows (all planar) on 1280x1024. I'm totally happy with the performance now.

THANX!!!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amazing, after trying out BS on two XP systems ( 1 dual core and 1 quad core) with no difference in fps when using either 1 or more cores... tonight I tried it in Vista and it is true, I went from 40-43 fps to 55-60 fps using the 4 cores of my AMD Phenom X4 9850 quad core cpu and windows Vista 32 bit!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I dual boot vista ultimate 64 and xp pro...Both up to date with newest nvidia drivers released yesterday. The game actually runs better on the vista drive and the infinity trick works. I gained around 10 to 20 fps. On xp there was no change. The only real issue I have with vista is my raided raptors seem slower compared to xp...

We need more XP vs Vista comparisons. By "we" I mean "we, XP users" ;)

Man! I just wasted an hour and an activation to answer this?!? :)

OK, so I've been flying the Shark under XP only but just installed under Vista32 (dual-boot), and I find that toggling between 1 and 2 core affinity has absolutely no impact on framerate whatsoever. I do see about a 10% drop in performance compared to XP though.

I have all in-game graphics options maxed, 1920x1080 resolution, Nvidia Control Panel forcing 16xAF, 4xAA, and Vsync.

OK, so I've been flying the Shark under XP only but just installed under Vista32 (dual-boot), and I find that toggling between 1 and 2 core affinity has absolutely no impact on framerate whatsoever. I do see about a 10% drop in performance compared to XP though.

I have all in-game graphics options maxed, 1920x1080 resolution, Nvidia Control Panel forcing 16xAF, 4xAA, and Vsync.

Greg,

Be careful to change affinity only when you have launch a mission, when you see the small image in the middle of your screen (pilot with red start on helmet).

Before this image , launcher.exe and dcs.exe are on affinity on core 0 and 1.

Its only when the mission is lauched that dcs.exe is on core 0.

Work for me on vista32 bit, i double my fps on many mission.

MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - Intel I7 4790K - Artic cooling freezer 7 pro rev 2 - GSKILL 32 Go - SSD Crucial M5 120 go - SSD Crucial 2To - HDD western digital caviar blue 1 TO - Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming G1 - Windows 10 home 64 bits

I am interested to know how this product fares with Intel's new Core i7 processors. I am in the process of getting the parts for one now but will not be able to test for at least a week or so.

Edited by JG27_Arklight

Ark

------------------

Windows 10 Pro x64

9900K @ 5ghz

Gigabyte Aorus Master Z390

32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB CAS 14

EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Ultra XC2

256gb Samsung 869 Pro (Boot Drive)

1TB - Samsung 970 EVO Plus

Seasoninc 1000w Titanium Ultra PSU

34" ASUS PG348

I am interested to know how this product fares with Intel's new Core i7 processors. I am in the process of getting the parts for one now but will not be able to test for at least a week or so.

First benchmarks give the i7 not much higher benchmark scores (actually lower in quiet a few cases) compared to same clockspeed Penryn Core 2 Quad CPU's. Where the i7 really shines is (3D)content creation and server applications.

That is not to say the i7 is a bad cpu. I'd say it is at least as good as the core 2 quad, and depending an what you want to do with it, and how big your budget is, might actually be the best choice.

Gaming benches for the i7 on Anandtech

MSI 870A-G54, AMD Phenom II X2 555 @Phenom II X4 B55 BE, 3.2 GHz quad-core, Asus EAH4870 DK/HTDI/512MD5, OCZ Gold Edition DDR3 1333MHz 4GB Kit Low-Voltage. Budget = Cheap = Good :D

First benchmarks give the i7 not much higher benchmark scores (actually lower in quiet a few cases) compared to same clockspeed Penryn Core 2 Quad CPU's. Where the i7 really shines is (3D)content creation and server applications.

That is not to say the i7 is a bad cpu. I'd say it is at least as good as the core 2 quad, and depending an what you want to do with it, and how big your budget is, might actually be the best choice.

Gaming benches for the i7 on Anandtech

I have seen benchmarks of the new i7's in games go both ways. At this point, I think we all just need to see for ourselves. Guru3D reported rather sizeable gains, while others reported hardly any gains.

I'm going try and OC it to 3.8 ghz if I can. Either way, it is much faster than the system I currently have and at least it provides me with an upgrade path.

We shall see what happens! :)

Ark

------------------

Windows 10 Pro x64

9900K @ 5ghz

34" ASUS PG348

I'm not saying the i7 doesn't improve over the Penryn in games. It's just really not anything like the improvements you see in content creation and server applications.

Most games apparently are not bottlenecked by FSB/Memory speeds, which are the main improvements on the i7, but they do appreciate good FPU and large caches. Those where already available in Penryn, and that's why you see less improvement in games compared to Penryn.

MSI 870A-G54, AMD Phenom II X2 555 @Phenom II X4 B55 BE, 3.2 GHz quad-core, Asus EAH4870 DK/HTDI/512MD5, OCZ Gold Edition DDR3 1333MHz 4GB Kit Low-Voltage. Budget = Cheap = Good :D

I'm not saying the i7 doesn't improve over the Penryn in games. It's just really not anything like the improvements you see in content creation and server applications.

Most games apparently are not bottlenecked by FSB/Memory speeds, which are the main improvements on the i7, but they do appreciate good FPU and large caches. Those where already available in Penryn, and that's why you see less improvement in games compared to Penryn.

Unless you are talking about FSX....which eats through CPU power like crazy. lol

Ark

------------------

Windows 10 Pro x64

9900K @ 5ghz

34" ASUS PG348

It is possible FSX improves a lot with i7 compared to Core 2 Quad. Do you maybe have benchmarks? I'd be really interested!

It is possible FSX improves a lot with i7 compared to Core 2 Quad. Do you maybe have benchmarks? I'd be really interested!

I've been looking for FSX bechmarks with the i7 myself...apparently quite a few people I have spoken to would also like some. Somebody mentioned that Microsoft actually ecouraged benchmarks be done with the new i7 and FSX. I think it would be very interesting, even if the results are not great.

Ark

------------------

Windows 10 Pro x64

9900K @ 5ghz

34" ASUS PG348

You didn't provide specifig conclusions except

- on XP no FPS incease with the affinity trick

and partialy

- on XP 10% higher FPS than on Vista (with or without the affinity trick?)

I can guess that "toggling between 1 and 2 core affinity has absolutely no impact on framerate whatsoever" on Vista. Again - 32 or 64 bits? You get the point.

Take a look at this exemplary test:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=572985&postcount=69

XP with/without the trick - about 28 FPS

Vista 64 without the trick - 24 FPS

Vista 64 with the trick - 37 FPS

This guy's conclusion is clear:

possible gain on V64 vs XP = [37-28]/28=0,32=~30%

36-37 fps

Tab out and turn on affinity.....

59-60 fps (Note v-sync limits to 60fps so potentially higher)

Empty custom mission, on runway looking straight ahead.

Vista 32 home premium.

i9-9900K,Z390 Aorus Master, 32GB GSkill Trident F4-3600 DDR4, ROG Strix RTX 2080 Ti, Oculus Rift S. Thrustmaster Warthog T&S, TPR Pedals.

36-37 fps

Tab out and turn on affinity.....

59-60 fps (Note v-sync limits to 60fps so potentially higher)

Empty custom mission, on runway looking straight ahead.

Vista 32 home premium.

That's great news :cheer3nc: because it was possible that only Vista 64 bit was able to take advantage of the trick. http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=572985&postcount=69

On vista 64 affinity RuleZ!

Here my bench......on my rig:

without changing anything, i get 24/36 FPS out of my Vista 64bit:

Q6600 2.4Ghz

8800 GTX512 MB

Nvidia Driver 180.48 WHQL

--------------------

1680 x 1200

everything maxed out, exept water (normal) and shadows (all planar)

4xAA

16xAF

v-sync on/disabled

----------------------

With affinity turn on I reach 38/60 FPS, but SW Task Assigment Manager dont' works, so I Turn everytime affinity manual......:mad::thumbup:

-LuKariello-

--------------------

Fly high, Fly Fast!

[sIGPIC]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic6300_1.gif [/sIGPIC]

...dont need 64-bit OS..

Off topic I know but please please please get this idea out of your head. 64bit is the future, Vista should have never been shipped in 32bit and I do hope the new Windows isn't.

Regards

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Interesting thread. Was this game written from the ground up to be multi-threaded? I cant think of too many applications out there that have been, maybe Photoshop. Games? Was FSX? 64 bit gives you the ability to address more ram. How many apps take real advantage of this? I am a skeptic with so many cores this, so much ram that. Marketing by the major players. I do not doubt that there are benefits in terms of stability with multi core cpu, smoothness with 4 gig plus ram. In terms of price and performance however, I believe it is another story.

No, I believe it is the lockon engine modified quite a bit for blackshark. I also believe it is only a stopgap measure until the new engine is out next year?

...or I could be wrong :)

i9-9900K,Z390 Aorus Master, 32GB GSkill Trident F4-3600 DDR4, ROG Strix RTX 2080 Ti, Oculus Rift S. Thrustmaster Warthog T&S, TPR Pedals.