Cougar Owners Must Read

Ok - there has been some discussion about the trim system used on the KA-50 in the simulation which takes a bit of getting used to. The reason is in the actual KA 50 the pilot is able to trim the cyclic to any position and leave the stick in that position. In the simulation, the "Trimmer" simulates this as best it can, however, some porpoising of the heli's attitude results because your joystick wants to naturally re-center.

Now having said all that, if you have a Cougar joystick and you really want to see how the KA-50 should fly, there is a way to simulate the real KA 50 cyclic in Black Shark to respond very realisticly with the Cougar Foxy software. Simply enter this statement in your profile:

BTN S4/I TRIM (JOYSTICK, 0)

/O/PLOCK(JOYSTICK, LASTVALUE)TRIM(JOYSTICK, TO_CURRENT)

/RUNLOCK(JOYSTICK)

What it does is allow the Cougar axis to be reset to it's last axis value when you hold the S4 button and recenter the cyclic. This allows you to re-center the Cougar joystick without changing the aircrafts attitude or get the porpoising that you see using just the Trimmer.

I can't say enough good things about what I've discovered with this simulation. I is MORE than worth the wait!

Ron

Edited by ronht
  • Like 4

Ok - there has been some discussion about the trim system used on the KA-50 in the simulation which takes a bit of getting used to. The reason is in the actual KA 50 the pilot is able to trim the cyclic to any position and leave the stick in that position. In the simulation, the "Trimmer" simulates this as best it can, however, some porpoising of the heli's attitude results because your joystick wants to naturally re-center.

Now having said all that, if you have a Cougar joystick and you really want to see how the KA-50 should fly, there is a way to simulate the real KA 50 cyclic in Black Shark to respond very realisticly with the Cougar Foxy software. Simply enter this statement in your profile:

/RUNLOCK(JOYSTICK)

What it does is allow the Cougar axis to be reset to it's last axis value when you hold the S4 button and recenter the cyclic. This allows you to re-center the Cougar joystick without changing the aircrafts attitude or get the porpoising that you see using just the Trimmer.

I can't say enough good things about what I've discovered with this simulation. I is MORE than worth the wait!

Ron

So there's no need to use in-game TRIM command right?

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

So there's no need to use in-game TRIM command right?

Actually I have been experimenting with both and they do work together, just beware that when you "clear Trim" in the simulation, you won't have a real good idea of where the axis are going so it could be a bit of a wild ride snapping everything back to center.

I'm still experimenting with this and plan to add the rudder axis statement as well. I'll let you know how that works and post the results here.

Ron

No-

You still have to Trim,

But you don't have to quickly pull back the sick in the center again - when using a non FFB joystick.

Yes this is correct, with joystick input and pressing the button this is assigned to until the joystick is centered again will result in no change in flight control input in the simulation until the button is released.

It's basically just setting a new center for the joystick axis.

Ron

Hell, what if I have force sensor cougar, sticks then always stays in the center ;)

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

Hell, what if I have force sensor cougar, sticks then always stays in the center ;)

Sorry! Just wait for the F-16! :lol:

Or: Hopefully you have covered all of the old interior of the base and than you should be able to do some crazy stuff I did with force feedback.

And you are still able to use the Stick handle only by plunging some cables.

And mounting it just on a other Stick.

Edit again:

Wait!- you can do my things without the old interior.

Edited by urze

/RUNLOCK(JOYSTICK)

Ron

As regular as Clockwork.........

What? - One might ask.......

Well - every now and then, at irregular intervals, an absolute Gem of Information comes to the fore from the community, akin to that 10 Pound Nugget sparkling in the Riverbed.........And this is It! :D

Cheers ronht - Excellent :thumbup:

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

OK - slight modification for those of you with rudder pedals. This Foxy statement below will affect the rudder axis as well as the joystick axis.

Works best if you do all trimming when level and without using the "Trimmer" function in the simulation. Also remember RTCTL Enter will bring up the axis window at any time if you need to see what's going on.

IMPORTANT - I recommend re-centering the Cougar axis between missions for best results. The reset is on the /I (S3 button)

Enjoy - Ron

Cut and paste into your Foxy profile for Black Shark. Note, this utilizes the S4 button on the joystick. You may use any button you like.

BTN S4 /ITRIM(JOYSTICK, 0)TRIM(RDDR, 0)

/O/PLOCK(JOYSTICK, LASTVALUE)LOCK(RDDR, LASTVALUE)TRIM(JOYSTICK, TO_CURRENT)TRIM(RDDR, TO_CURRENT)

/RUNLOCK(JOYSTICK)UNLOCK(RDDR)

Edited by ronht

Hi there

In Lomac i have configured my Cougar in the GUI only without using the Foxy-Software.

Is it possible to add this trim-mode to Foxy and download it into the Cougar and the rest of the buttons and axis are configured in the GUI only?

Or do I have to reprogramm all my settings with foxy to be able to use this trim-mode?

DCS Rafale - please :thumbup:

You might get it to work. Try it but make sure whichever button you're mapping it to has it's in-game mapping cleared.

In the long run you are much better off creating a Foxy profile as you have a lot more control.

One of the things I love about my profile is that when I drop chaffs or flares I only need to press the button once and it'll knock out a set of five at two second intervals. Leaves you free to get back to avoiding the missiles et al...

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Hi there

In Lomac i have configured my Cougar in the GUI only without using the Foxy-Software.

Is it possible to add this trim-mode to Foxy and download it into the Cougar and the rest of the buttons and axis are configured in the GUI only?

Or do I have to reprogramm all my settings with foxy to be able to use this trim-mode?

Yes it will work fine.

You will need a USE DirectX statement and a USE Hat as POV statement along with the axis statement. As was mentioned before just be sure no other functions are assigned to those buttons in the game.

I can post an example in a few days if necessary, I will also post my Foxy profile later, I've been working on it for several days now and have it just about where I want it.

Ron

You might get it to work. Try it but make sure whichever button you're mapping it to has it's in-game mapping cleared.

In the long run you are much better off creating a Foxy profile as you have a lot more control.

One of the things I love about my profile is that when I drop chaffs or flares I only need to press the button once and it'll knock out a set of five at two second intervals. Leaves you free to get back to avoiding the missiles et al...

Just an FYI you are able to program the counter measures as such from the counter measure panel. You can change how many, the interval, and how many cycles. I use 3-3-2.