Ka-50 VS A-10

The tactics for killing a fixed-wing aircraft from a Ka50 is to run away and let another fixed-wing aircraft do it ;)

You are inferior in the areas of:

- Speed

- Climb rate

- Visibility

- Weapons range

- Weapons sighting

- Weapons guidance

- Survivability

In a head-on fight, you're almost guaranteed to lose.

If you can spot an A-10 before he spots you and sneak up on him - difficult when he's going a lot more quickly than you, much higher up, with much better visibility - get your sights locked on him (try locking the Shkval in the Su25T to an air target and imagine that in an unstable, vibrating helicopter), and fire a couple of Vikhrs before he shoots out of range . . . you might have a chance.

The chances of that happening are tiny. Labels help.

undetectable if your are in low altitude?

Undetectable from VID? Maybe. But if that A-10 is high enough up not to see you, then there's not much you can do to attack him. If the A-10 is newer and has FLIR equipment similar to F-16s and F-15Es, beware of laser-guided bomb sniping! :gun_sniper:

Seriously though, it would be no less than suicidal to take on an airplane in a helicopter just like seriously pitting a tank against a plane would be. Helicopters are glass tanks that can travel at 100 knots with a "main weapon" that can penetrate the top armor of a tank from 7 or 8 miles away. I think of them as true aircraft in name only. The sooner you start thinking of them this way, the better. Helicopters are firmly in the category of "ground warfare". Shoot and scoot, enfilade, defilade, etc. ;)

(try locking the Shkval in the Su25T to an air target and imagine that in an unstable, vibrating helicopter), and fire a couple of Vikhrs before he shoots out of range . . . you might have a chance.

But I think more stable is helo, Su25T Shkval air targets aiming is difficult cause it acts 3 forces. Forward, Left, Right. In heli you can stop in air and precisy aim, even from behind trees.

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

^^

FF nailed it. We already ran a test like this in BS, Mustang and I. The Ka-50 didn't know what hit it. On the other hand, if you fly the A-10 like most people do (really low) you're just asking for it. Stay above 8K and no 'shark will touch you. You, on the other hand, may visit upon the shark harm in the form of steel rain, guided heater, or if you're really feeling like it, iron or clusters. ;)

However - it is true that the Ka-50 can just sneak around unseen ... so keep a low profile and you might accomplish your mission and survive the day. Don't challenge fixed wing aircraft 'cause you won't live to regret it... :D

(Though your reincarnation - brought to you by the RCVR button, might have some odd fits while taking abouter 3-5 min to start up the heli :D )

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Give it a few months, then I challenge you to do it ;)

Addictional difficulty in Su25T, Shkval aiming (air targets or ground, but rather air) is that the aiming box flies on TV when I move it by mouse, on keyboard ,.;. it moves precisy. I move it by mouse after locking, on Locked it stays OK, but when I move mouse target box doesn't move straight line like my mouse moves, but only example by slant. Second is that (still in Ka50 is that pain?) that I can't press lock above horizontal line, even if iam under slant.

See my pic.

shkvalbf6.th.jpg

On pic 1 Su25T search area marked by circles.

I can lock all is under me which is marked by pink spray.

Hud is marked by box on bottom of image.

On pic 2 I dunno know why even if Iam under slant example 45 degrees up I can't lock that what is in front of me. Red lines means what it looks in game, intermittent lines means why it isn't that? My target is in front of me and its position in relation to me is like on pic1 but I can't lock him, if it isn't very close to me that Shkval can snap it, but i cant lock "free" area, like on pic 1.

Hope I said it clearly, if not I gave in game pics ;)

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

^^

FF nailed it. We already ran a test like this in BS, Mustang and I. The Ka-50 didn't know what hit it. On the other hand, if you fly the A-10 like most people do (really low) you're just asking for it. Stay above 8K and no 'shark will touch you. You, on the other hand, may visit upon the shark harm in the form of steel rain, guided heater, or if you're really feeling like it, iron or clusters. ;)

However - it is true that the Ka-50 can just sneak around unseen ... so keep a low profile and you might accomplish your mission and survive the day. Don't challenge fixed wing aircraft 'cause you won't live to regret it... :D

(Though your reincarnation - brought to you by the RCVR button, might have some odd fits while taking abouter 3-5 min to start up the heli :D )

:surprise:

Wait a sec...so...one of you was flying the Ka-50 and the other was flying the A-10? Please tell me I'm reading too much into this (as in ED already has a flyable AFM A-10 for you testers to play with). Maybe it was the AI or just Lockon's A-10 mixed in there for testing purposes...

Yes, you're reading too much into it ... we ran our test out of curiosity with what we had on-hand (that being LO's A-10 as you surmised, in an old beta long, LONG ago ... it's no longer there) ... and this was our conclusion:

If there's -any- fighters in the area flown by any semblance of a semi-competent pilot, hide.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Yes, you're reading too much into it ... we ran our test out of curiosity with what we had on-hand (that being LO's A-10 as you surmised, in an old beta long, LONG ago ... it's no longer there) ... and this was our conclusion:

If there's -any- fighters in the area flown by any semblance of a semi-competent pilot, hide.

If he see you, you can Hide behind the Building, then when the A-10 Fly On top, you track it, lock target and fire missile :smilewink:

If he see me, he can't do anything about me because I'm at 10000' and he can't shoot at me up here from down there.

I don't fly the A-10 like your regular HL crowd, I keep it at relatively high altitudes ;)

So, like I said, if the A-10 pilot uses proper tactics, there is nothing the Ka-50 pilot can do. NOTHING.

Lastly, if the A-10 sees you, you can't hide behind anything when he dives down on you. Once more, you can do NOTHING.

If he does happen to fly low and on top of you, all he has to do is pull into the vertical right away, and once more ... yeah, you guessed it. You can do NOTHING. He'll just re-attack.

This is why it is absolutely imperative that you are not detected when flying a helicopter.

If he see you, you can Hide behind the Building, then when the A-10 Fly On top, you track it, lock target and fire missile :smilewink:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yes. You can't hide from doppler radar. Period. You could be landed, but if your rotor's turning you'll be showing up on an A2A radar scope.

N/A DCS at this time.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It wouldn't :D

It wouldn't...what? Wouldn't look like anything (as in blown to smithereens) or it wouldn't hit it?

I figured if a Maverick could hit a vehicle traveling 30 mph, it could hit a helicopter going at least that fast, perhaps much faster. If a GBU can hit one, why can't a Maverick?

The Maverick uses PN IIRC and is entirely capable of hitting a moving target.

And yes, I meant it wouldn't look like anything ;)

Although in hindsight, due to the way a maverick destroys things, it would be either that (300lbs warhead) or it would just fall out of the sky mostly in one piece (100lb HEAT warhead)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]