Producer's notes yet?

leafer

• ED Team

Well, there is good news and bad news about this... The good news is that in the last build we changed the render from DX8 to DX9 to primarily solve the full shadow setting issue. With the latest card drivers, DX8 just would not cut it anymore. The bad news is that this broke several other things (z-fighting and lighting issues primarily). Once we get a new build in working order, I'll be making the next note then.

Now before any of you ask, I really don't know exactly what DX9 will bring beside a fix to the full shadow issue. So while not out of the question, please don’t automatically expect new explosion, fire and smoke effects just yet.

Thanks

Well my guess is that deciding to go from Dx8 to Dx9 can only be a good thing... beside fixing the shadows, which is really one of the more noticeable issues right now, is that if you do break something else...you will fix it and maybe in process make it even better? Hopefully the better base (first DCS module) you make the more benefit we can expect in next modules...

No longer active in DCS...

The keycommand list is not final. When it is, I'll see about getting it released early.

This is really great news. Is it possible to also have an early release on part of the manual explaining the cockpit switches? I'm not expecting the whole 500-600 pages of the manual. Appreciate your producer's note on the start up procedure. But some more info about the cockpit would be really useful for the few of us attempting to build the BS pit. Can't read Russian and guessing a lot right now. Some info will help as it takes months to build a pit, even a partial one.

My guess'll be that lots of people (me in the first place) still use XP / Dx9 and don't want to move to Vista / Dx10 if they can avoid it.

As there is no problem with Dx9 (shadows...), and no use for Dx10 for BS (if you don't want to re-code entirely the graphic engine)... ;)

Cheers,

Az'

spacer.png

I think D3D 9.0c will make huge contribution to the DCS graphics

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/xna/aa937787.aspx

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=4B78A58A-E672-4B83-A28E-72B5E93BD60A&displaylang=en

http://creators.xna.com/

I don't know exactly how you make the smoke effects in LockOn, but I could feel that it sucks the CPU's energy. I seem to be remembering some info about the D3D 9.0c that it could send some jobs to GPU so that CPU will have more energy to do what CPU should do. For example, the smoke: CPU will caculate the vertex for smoke, then GPU will do culling,mapping,

coordinate transforming,etc.

I remember that when I saw Medal of Honor in 2001, I saw grass and tree branches floating with wind.And it's a DX8.0 game.

I heard many people complained about the DCS's ground texture. They said DCS has high detailed objects, but the terrain looks like some kind of baby's paper toy.;)

You ED guys should go to MSDN for DirectX 3D 9.0 SDK if you want to take advantage of the D3D 9 API

• Like 1

RTX 3070

My guess'll be that lots of people (me in the first place) still use XP / Dx9 and don't want to move to Vista / Dx10 if they can avoid it.

As there is no problem with Dx9 (shadows...), and no use for Dx10 for BS (if you don't want to re-code entirely the graphic engine)... ;)

Cheers,

Az'

Yeah,Azrayen is right. Most people still don't want to change to Vista and DX10 is only available in Vista with DX10 compatible GPUs. And DX10 has huge difference to DX9.0c, I don't think it's a good idea for you to change DCS render to DX10 so early. Look Crysis, it still has amazing graphics in DX9.

And I think DX10 is a transition like DX7, they will quickly go to DX11. So I think you should directly jump from DX9 to DX11 in future DCS platform update. Now DX9.0c is super good for most LockOn player.

RTX 3070

Leafer, you trouble maker!

Well Leafer, you've gone and done it again! Great question, and a lightning response form Wags too!:thumbup: The info is very interesting and a bit titillating. I do now wonder what explosions will morp into going from dx8 to dx9. Maybe if someone at ED can get to it, it would be nice to post before and after shots which show the implementation of dx9? If ya don't ask...;)

Oh, I read about a config change in Crysis that allows the high settings to be rendered in winxp/dx9. I think I came across it at Tom's hardware. To that note, I too am staying with winxp/dx9 for now, though my next card will support dx10.

I quess this means all things have been pushed back a bit to give ED time to find and reconcile any relaed issues. Better to find and fix now, I'm sure we all agree. :)

Anyway, more info always help. good post. S~

Flyby

The U.S. Congress is the best governing body that BIG money can buy. :cry:

Oh, I read about a config change in Crysis that allows the high settings to be rendered in winxp/dx9. I think I came across it at Tom's hardware. To that note, I too am staying with winxp/dx9 for now, though my next card will support dx10.

I quess this means all things have been pushed back a bit to give ED time to find and reconcile any relaed issues. Better to find and fix now, I'm sure we all agree. :)

Anyway, more info always help. good post. S~

Flyby

high settings is available in XP with DX9,it is the very high setting that is normally only available in Vista with DX10. Yes, that mod works, it can get "very high" class quality in XP with DX9,it's good.

RTX 3070

very high settings?

thanks for correcting me, kiss4luna. Always best to get such things right.;) Do you have Crysis? If so, what' your system spec?

Flyby

The U.S. Congress is the best governing body that BIG money can buy. :cry:

This time all the special effects should be on GPU shoulders! ED you better do it right this time. Lock On shaders... explosions and smoke effects are totally unoptimized - CPU dependent?

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

thanks for correcting me, kiss4luna. Always best to get such things right.;) Do you have Crysis? If so, what' your system spec?

Flyby

my gears are:

AMD X2 3800+

Kingstone DDR667 1GB with Kingmax DDR667 1GB Duo Channel

ATi 1950GT with 256MB GRAM @ 500MHz Core and 1400MHz GRAM

WD 80GB SATA

in Crysis, i could run 30fps in the jungle with massive battles. but in the end, on the Carrier with Alien Boss, fps will drop to 10. The fps also drops down when the alien ships freezes the island. In total, it's amazing, explosions and physics hardly affects the fps.

i run Crysis on 1024x768, no AA, no AF, all settings medium, and i use autoexec.cfg to change physics to very high which trees can be damaged piece by piece.

and below is the parameters in my autoexec.cfg for Crysis, put the cfg file to your Crysis folder, it will load the marameters when game starts:

e_particles_thread 1 //this will use CPU "1" to proccess the particles.if you have multi CPUs,for example,2 cores,then core 1 will be CPU "0".

e_vegetation_static_instancing 1 // I remember that in DX9c,if you have many objects need to be rendered,and most objects are the same model,then system could just load one model only,render it to various objects. This technology could help rendering forests without sucking too many hardware resources. IF DCS uses Geometry-Instancing technology, it may show many F15Cs with loading only one F15C model.

es_OnDemandPhysics 1 // I forget what this is used to do

e_hw_occlusion_culling_object 1 // use hardware(GPU) to do culling

gpu_particle_physics 1 // use GPU to do particle physics

r_GeomInstancing 1 // use hardware Geometry-Instancing

RTX 3070

It is nice to see that there is room for some development without having to make the DX10 jump to vista (which btw. is not practicable for a lot of people who have lower incomes or live in less well off countries)

yes,it's right.

DX9 still have huge developing room for DCS, and there is no need to jump to DX10 which costs too much

RTX 3070

This time all the special effects should be on GPU shoulders! ED you better do it right this time. Lock On shaders... explosions and smoke effects are totally unoptimized - CPU dependent?

yes,it's right.

I think LockOn proccesses the smokes,explosions,fogs and some other effects using CPU. But this render works could be done by GPU in DX8 and DX9

RTX 3070

my gears are:

AMD X2 3800+

Kingstone DDR667 1GB with Kingmax DDR667 1GB Duo Channel

ATi 1950GT with 256MB GRAM @ 500MHz Core and 1400MHz GRAM

WD 80GB SATA

in Crysis, i could run 30fps in the jungle with massive battles. but in the end, on the Carrier with Alien Boss, fps will drop to 10. The fps also drops down when the alien ships freezes the island. In total, it's amazing, explosions and physics hardly affects the fps.

Yer thanks for the spoiler mate, im only into the first levels where you destroy the GPS blocking truck, really, thank so much for spoiling the rest of my game :furious::ranting::gun_sniper: