Triplehead2go and the zoom issue

currently i am running lofc with the th2go on the system in my sig.

after all the effort to get the centre screen of the th2go looking similar in cockpit to a single 5x4 ratio screen.

i have currently settled for the default view zoomed back as far as stock settings will allow, this maitains a very similar performance level to a high res single screen.

this view is far closer than what i initially was attempting to achieve but i am enjoying the one plus it provides and that is a more zoomed in world, with enemy aircraft easier to spot etc.

its when you zoom right out, thats when the fps slowdown really kicks in roughly halving performance

if not worse, looks awesome, runs crap.

this is one issue that would be nice to get resolved, as

its working alot harder to draw areas you do not see.

all i have done is modified the view limitations slightly,

allowing the trackir to look further around so you are looking straight back at the seat, either left or right.

if possible to satisfy your desire for knowledge, maybe u could drag your pc to the local tv shop and tell em you want to try something out, configure the res and aspect in lockon and give it a go, if they say no then take your

buisness elsewhere. i have no experience with 30" lcd

so i cannot really comment with facts, so i prefer to say little on this topic.

your system seems pretty good so it should be ok with

either choice, worst comes to worst you can loose some candy till your next upgrade, you'll already have the mad screen/s :)

considering the budget to go either way you have suggested, th2go or large 30" lcd.

it may be an option to think also projector, i have a 1280x720 unit and lockon runs and looks good on it.

no lines splitting that image 3 metres wide on the wall.

to hell with it, get the th2go and 3 beamers like bnepethomas' sweet setup :)

Thanks ggg for your answer.

You are right, 3 projectors looks like a dream on earth...

I am going to think about it, because for 3 projectors, one needs room, I mean physical space, which I dont have...

JEFX

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

In DCS I fly jets with thousands of pounds of thrust...

In real life I fly a humble Cessna Hawx XP II with 210 HP :D

ggg

Thanks again for sharing all your efforts!

Does THtoGo require more than one graphics card?

I saw on their website that the thing connects via ONE cable to the comp. (and of course 3 cables to the monitors), does that mean only one card? (I see in your sig 2x 8800ultras???)

If you have 2 cards, how do you set this up?

I am very tempted to go THtoGO (by the way, they say that they are out of stock on their web site...).

If ever I get there, would you mind sharing your configuration numbers, what did you change and for what reason? I dont know what to configure for such a resolution (and the famous zoom issue, etc)

thanks a lot!

JEFX

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

ggg

I just looked again at your pics in post #16 (http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=222680&postcount=16)

and I really want one like that also!!!

Can you just make a synthesis of the values that need to be changed exactly (sort of a tutorial for newbies at THtoGO) thanks!

JEFX

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi JEFX

I recently went to triplehead2go and really haven't looked back ( well I did when I applied the view settings ggg87 supplied! :D ) anyway I digress.

I'm running just one graphics card ( ati 3870x2 ) and it runs fine with that. If you look back a few pages ggg87 did put all his setting, so I used that and Joe (simhq ) review to get mine sorted. http://www.simhq.com/_technology/technology_065a.html

It did take some tweaking but I got there in the end. The biggest problem I had to start with was trying to use different types of monitor, I already had a Dell 24" but couldn't afford to get 2 more of those, so thought I would get 2 cheapo 20". Just didn't work as they had different resolutions. I ended up buying another 20".

The results are impressive, even the wife ( who had initially thought I had finally lost it ) grudgingly admitted that it looked good.

As for the zoom issue, again I adjusted my setting as per ggg87, I find that zooming out as far as I go does slow things right down ( also makes things very jumpy ), I have compromised and tend to zoom out all the way, then zoom back in a bit till I see my fps go up a few digits.

Hope that helps, if you need more instructions I'm sure that ggg97 or Joe could help, I'd be happy to explain what I did but I'm no expert, and simply copied there examples.

Cheers

Techlabs Chameleon Watercooled Gaming PC - Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.7GHz : Samsung 950 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 500 gig SSD, Seagate 1TB 7200RPM Drive : MSI GeForce GTX 1080 "Founders Edition" 8192MB : 800W '80 Plus Gold' Modular Power Supply : 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz : Occulus Rift S : TM Warthog : MFG Crosswind V2 : Win 10 64. PointCTRL.

Thanks Ratcatcher

I am very tempted!

I am wondering about monitor sizes? If one goes LCD, it is said that those work in native resolution, that means it is best for triplehead to go with 3x19'' , correct? How come you are using 20''s?

JEFX

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi JEFX

First, I think we should keep all further discussions confined to this post, my heads beginning to spin jumping from one to the other :megalol: ( Also the DCS thread is going way off topic ).

OK onto your last question about 19" or 20". Thats a very good point, one that I had not even thought about. I simply went for 20" as they were bigger and just as cheap as a 19". Doh!

Though to be honest the images look just fine on mine, I can't see any problem with using 20", but I'm certainly no expert.

Ok, I have put the following together pretty quick and I hope it is all correct, apologies if I have missed something out or it isn't very clear.

Any questions please feel free to ask away and I will do my best to answer, but again I must stress this isn't my work and others will have more knowledge than me.

I'm using 3 DGM 20.1" Monitors, their max resolution is 1680x1050.

After plugging in triplehead2go (digital) I set the Matrox GXM panel to...

NUMBER OF MONITORS = 3

ASPECT RATIO = STANDARD

This gives a resolution for each monitor of 1280x1024@60hz giving a combined resoluton of 3840x1024@60Hz.

One thing I didn't grasp at first while using the matrox control panel. In order to get the adjusted resolutions to take you don't just select them in the "Edit Mode List", but you have to then go back into the "Change" menu and adjust the resolution there, then "apply" then "ok" then restart your machine.

The following info has been gathered from the work of ggg87, so all credit to him, Joe and Teka Teka for what follows:

• OK first off you need to alter the config view.lua settings. (Lockon\Config\View\View.lua )

**The default values are 20.0,120.0**

The second figure is changed, apparently you can not go any higher than 175 or it causes instability.

-- Camera view angle limits {view angle min, view angle max}.

CameraViewAngleLimits = {}

CameraViewAngleLimits[PlaneIndex.iSu_27] = {20.0,
.0}

CameraViewAngleLimits[PlaneIndex.iSu_33] = {20.0,
.0}

CameraViewAngleLimits[PlaneIndex.iSu_25] = {20.0,
.0}

CameraViewAngleLimits[PlaneIndex.iSu_39] = {20.0,
.0}

CameraViewAngleLimits[PlaneIndex.iMiG_29] = {20.0,
.0}

CameraViewAngleLimits[PlaneIndex.iMiG_29K] = {20.0,
.0}

CameraViewAngleLimits[PlaneIndex.iA_10] = {20.0,
.0}

CameraViewAngleLimits[PlaneIndex.iF_15] = {20.0,
.0}

function GetCameraViewAngleLimits(iType)

local p = CameraViewAngleLimits[iType]

return p[1], p[2]

end

I tried changing the view limits for the Su-25T but it doesn't seem to work.

I've now gone onto flying the Su-33 in preparation for the Tomcat/ US Navy mod.

I have not tested any other planes ( just the su-25 ) so mileage may vary as to how this looks in others, I think the SU33 looks stunning!

• The next thing to change is the "Camera Angle Limits" found in View\Server.lua

**Default values 140, -80, 90 **

-- Camera angle limits {horizontal angle max, vertical angle min, vertical angle max}

CameraAngleLimits = {}

CameraAngleLimits[PlaneIndex.iSu_27] = {
200.0, -120.0,
90.0}

CameraAngleLimits[PlaneIndex.iSu_33] = {
200.0, -120.0,
90.0}

CameraAngleLimits[PlaneIndex.iSu_25] = {
200.0, -120.0,
90.0}

CameraAngleLimits[PlaneIndex.iSu_39] = {110.0, -80.0, 90.0}

CameraAngleLimits[PlaneIndex.iMiG_29] = {140.0, -75.0, 90.0}

CameraAngleLimits[PlaneIndex.iMiG_29K] = {140.0, -65.0, 90.0}

CameraAngleLimits[PlaneIndex.iA_10] = {140.0, -65.0, 90.0}

CameraAngleLimits[PlaneIndex.iF_15] = {140.0, -80.0, 90.0}

• Finally change the "Graphics.cfg" found in Lockon\Config

DisplayMode

{

resolution = {
3840, 1024
};

bpp = 32;

fullscreen = 1;

aspect =
;

Interface

{

resolution = {
3840, 1024
};

bpp = 32;

fullscreen = 1;

aspect =
;

}

Simulation

{

resolution = {
3840, 1024
};

bpp = 32;

fullscreen = 1;

aspect =
;

}

AVI

{

resolution = {640, 480};

fullscreen = 0;

aspect = 1.3333;

}

}

SurfaceMaterials

Here it is vital that you change all 3 resolutioms and also the aspect ratio

** default is 1.33333 **

I "Think" thats it!

The problem with zooming in while using trackir has got me foxed. I tried following some of the instructions in altering the vlaues so you don't start off so zoomed in, but didn't have much success.

I ended up disabling the "Z" axis in trackir, so when I go into a flight I just manually adjust the zoom with the "/" and "*" keys.

One thing I have also noticed is that if I start off with the normal zoomed in view my fps is great, when I pull out the fps go way down. The movement also becomes jerky when I pan my head to the left and right. To get round this I just zoom all the way out, then tap the zoom in key a couple of times, I then see my fps jump back up and I leave it at that.

And as posted earlier I am running this with trackir 3, virtual panel and touch buddy, with the last 2 running in client/server mode from my laptop.

Everything works pretty spot on, though the only thing I couldn't add recently is the HDR mod, that just crashes the monitors.

Hope this helps.

quick edit! - Just thought, it's important to understand the resolution issue. My setup has a max resolution of 3840x1024, therefore that is the number that must be input in the Graphics.cfg. If your max resolution is something else, that is what you must input.

To start with I didn't get that resolution come up ( I was using a 24" and 2 x 20" ) this just made the game crash on startup.

Also another thing I just remembered!!! When you install the triplehead you can install game software that creates it's own shortcut, for Lockon don't use it, as Joe found out as well, this results in Lockon crashing. Just edit your original config's.

Techlabs Chameleon Watercooled Gaming PC - Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.7GHz : Samsung 950 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 500 gig SSD, Seagate 1TB 7200RPM Drive : MSI GeForce GTX 1080 "Founders Edition" 8192MB : 800W '80 Plus Gold' Modular Power Supply : 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz : Occulus Rift S : TM Warthog : MFG Crosswind V2 : Win 10 64. PointCTRL.

WELL WELL that is what I call a great and detailed answer!

Thanks a lot!

I will keep this preciously and am ordering my new setup as soon as possible!

Fantastic post!:)

JEFX

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Glad to be of some help, though as I said it's really just a re hash of a couple other posts and a few personal observations.

Glad to hear your joining the club! Looking forward to hear your thoughts on how it looks when your up and running!

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks again Ratcatcher and ggg, I finally got my TH2Go and it works as you said.

I got my three screens and the matrox thing yesterday and it worked right away with your numbers. It is awesome but as you said, it slows down the system a lot (because of the zoomed out increased FOV).

but :smilewink:

In two days I will get a new 9800GX2 black edition from XFX, (and unfortunatly a new power supply because this monster eats up a lot of power...) and I will report back with the results.

WOW

JEFX

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hey JEFX thats really great news! It takes a bit of work but results are worth it!

I've just been watching the new BS vid on simhq and can't wait to try that baby with the triplehead.

Keep us posted as I will be interested in seeing how the new graphics card fairs.

Thanks Ratcatcher, I will give news in 2 days (cant wait...).

Lockon is fine but I am really looking forward to learn and drive that great shark with such a display!

JEFX

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]