Night - not so dark? (Rift)

Flamin_Squirrel

It's not very dark but you can reduce the star size by editing the star.fx file in \Bazar - set starSize = 250.0 or so

PC HW 9700K@5.0Ghz

Win 10 (Build 2004 ) with WMR

VR - Reverb

RTX2070 with Nvidia 451.48

DCS 2.5.6 (latest)

Night looks fine to me in 1.5 and 2.0

the Contrast Ratio of the OLED Panels really make the environment look dark while making displays (MFDs etc) appear to be brighter.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Sounds like we need to establish a reference mission at night and all try it out. Maybe some of the Option Settings have an effect - like HDR. I reduced the star size but I see a lot of color banding in the sky. Maybe we should have a clear sky version and a cloudy sky version. Could someone generate such missions please ?

Thanks

Dave

PC HW 9700K@5.0Ghz

VR - Reverb

DCS 2.5.6 (latest)

Night looks fine to me in 1.5 and 2.0

the Contrast Ratio of the OLED Panels really make the environment look dark while making displays (MFDs etc) appear to be brighter.

I'm wondering if I've got some sort of weird issue now.

During the day things look fine, but this what I see at night:

attachment.php?attachmentid=143175&stc=1&d=1467136083

Some further info: Photo was taken with my mobile, camera placed inside the headset. The photo has blue shifted the picture a little, but otherwise it's representative of what I'm seeing.

It looks like I'm flying at dawn/dusk, with freakishly bright stars, when it's the dead of night. Changing the date has no affect.

I didn't take a screenshot because it looks ok on my monitor.

It looks like the gamma has been turned right up.

Any ideas?

IMAG0045.thumb.jpg.069c274b4ef8db844f59c46a0983d58f.jpg

Edited by Flamin_Squirrel

If you can, Load a Black Video/Image in a Rift Media Player (Whirligig works).

if it's black your fine, if it's black with a red tint, then your PC has the Rift connected with TV Settings (25-255 RGB or 16-255 Range I think), instead of 0-255.

I do notice the Banding, But my image is a bit darker than that.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

Not with the rift, as the driver hides the display so you cant see connection properties,

If Apollo Looks good then it's a DCS Color issue,

I'll give it some more runs and see.

A few more night scene issues with 1.5.4: - testing done with clear sky on June 1 at 0200, 2011

1) The UH-1 Landing light is not aimed correctly for both right and left eyes so that there is one beam - each eye has a separate aim point and bothers stereoscopic vision

2) Still a lot of color banding (you can see distinct edges) wherever there is twilight. Tried with HDR on or off

3) Water looks golden or brown

4) Ground isn't at all dark enough - with/without moonlight

Were these issues before - without VR? I see many of these issues in 2.0alpha as well. I think the UH-1 landing light is fine in 2.0

Thanks

Dave

PC HW 9700K@5.0Ghz

VR - Reverb

DCS 2.5.6 (latest)

1. is reported already

2-4 looking into.

I'm doing some night testing right now in the sticks at Mineral Water airbase in the east. It's pretty dark, but I'd expect darker. That "smudgy" alpha texture layer we talked about a month ago or so is still there and looks horrid. I can't take a screenie, but it's like there is a strange transparency layer that moves with the view and looks like smudges...yes, my lenses are clean :D

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

@Derek,

Thanks for confirming the semitransparent smudge on our "visor" - as you remember, I first was worried that I had "burnt" an image into my DK2 screen (which I am still using nicely with the Pixel Density Override at 1.5).

It would seem that if the moon is not above the horizon (pick a date and time that we can all test), even with small city horizon glow, the ground should be quite dark.

Derek, do you see the banding (slight shifts in color with edges) around the twilight areas toward the sun (west) that went down. If not, I must have some settings that need to be changed. I see it on the monitor display but not as annoying as inside VR.

Also, what about the color of water? Mine is dark golden brown. Again, the color issues aren't specific to VR though - only the visor smudges probably.

I really like flying a UH-1 downtown Las Vegas at night! Not sure in 1.5.4 where to fly at night.

PC HW 9700K@5.0Ghz

VR - Reverb

DCS 2.5.6 (latest)

Yes, the water is like a poop brown. There is banding in the sky and on the water. The runway lighting trucks do not illuminate the plane. I can't take any screen shots...nothing shows up.

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Yes it looks fine in screenshots but not in the Rift. Hopefully something ED will look at.

That's the issue in the end. The mirror of the session doesn't show it :/

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

Some of this could be down to individual headsets. I'm one of the unlucky ones with the red tint in my cv1 so dark scenes in everything are horrible. As a result I only fly daylight in dcs and have given up on elite dangerous or any other dark games for now. Oculus are working on a software fix. It seems the screens are not all calibrated the same and although they are OLED and should show true black the pixels are being kept lit in darkly rendered scenes to improve screen response time and reduce the black smearing we had in dk2. Not saying it is the cause but it is something to consider.

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

The issue with the landing light being out of place may be causing something with heat haze as well. The heat haze looks out of place, which is unlike in the other versions.

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

Spot lights and heat blur arent correctly rendered in the left eye at the moment, those have been reported.

Some of this could be down to individual headsets. I'm one of the unlucky ones with the red tint in my cv1 so dark scenes in everything are horrible. As a result I only fly daylight in dcs and have given up on elite dangerous or any other dark games for now. Oculus are working on a software fix. It seems the screens are not all calibrated the same and although they are OLED and should show true black the pixels are being kept lit in darkly rendered scenes to improve screen response time and reduce the black smearing we had in dk2. Not saying it is the cause but it is something to consider.

Although your issue sounds like it would certainly make things worse, I think this is definitely a DCS issue too. I don't have issues with black in other games.

There are other users that have this issue outside DCS.

Might try asking support for the "SPUD" Tool

For me it's the same, during the night the ground is lit by a pale blue light like it's full moon (but it's not). Actually selecting full moon, the ground is light like with an illumination flare.