Close Combat Modes.

Zeus67

Okay Folks. I am coding the last modes for the radar and with it comes a reconfiguration of the Close Combat Mode, that includes the keyboard/joystick binding.

The CCM now officially works with Magic IIs (MAG), Super 530D (530) and guns (CAN).

PIP%20Button_zpsopnnuhiv.png

Button #5 in the Throttle is called PIP. When the system is in Air-to-Air mode, it controls the CCM radar modes.

It works as follow:

PIP - Forward (cycles):

1st. Click: Boresight Mode (Any weapon).

2nd. Click: Vertical Scan (MAG & CAN) / HUD Search (530).

PIP - Back (cycles):

1st. Click: Horizontal Scan Mode 1 (Any weapon).

2nd. Click: Horizontal Scan Mode 2 (Any weapon).

You already know how Horizontal Scan, Boresight and Vertical Scan work.

HUD Scan is a special mode that only works with the Super 530D. What it does is that the radar antenna covers the entire HUD area (a 20º cone) in front of the aircraft. In other words, it is a special boresight mode for the Super 530Ds.

Horizontal Scan Mode 1 and Mode 2 work the same. The only difference is that the radar in Mode 1 uses High PRF and in Mode 2 uses Medium PRF. As soon as a contact is locked, the radar automatically changes to High PRF. Medium PRF is not available anywhere else except on Horizontal Scan Mode 2.

PIP Down = Target Unlock.

The PIP button also has functionality when the system is in AG mode, but that is another issue that we will inform you in due time.

My problem, for which I need your help is this:

These keybinds are going to disappear from the HOTAS category:

• Close Air Combat Mode SELECT : will become PIP Forward.
  • Special Modes DESELECT : Not required anymore. Target unlock will deactivate CCM if there is no locked target.
  • Ground Avoidance Mode SELECT : will become PIP Back.

I need your help in finding what to call both PIP Forward and PIP Back.

Edited to add:

I think these could work:

Special Modes FWD and Special Modes AFT.

After all the PIP also has AG functions.

Edited by Zeus67

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

Are you sure?

That was my first idea, but calling them PIP Forward and PIP Backward does not intuitively give you the functionality like 'Close Air Combat Mode Select'.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

You can call them

PIP Forward - Cycle CCM Modes

PIP Back - Cycle Horizontal Modes

PIP Down - Unlock Target

Idk, sounds reasonable to me i guess

In the end it doesn't even matter if A-10C can have TMS DMS CMS and all that other stuff PIP shouldn't be a problem

Edited by Rlaxoxo

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Youtube

Reddit

How does the ground avoidance mode works?

Mission: "To intercept and destroy aircraft and airborne missiles in all weather conditions in order to establish and maintain air superiority in a designated area. To deliver air-to-ground ordnance on time in any weather condition. And to provide tactical reconaissance imagery" - F-14 Tomcat Roll Call

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Doesn't work yet because no AG radar available in DCS World right now...;)

thanks!:thumbup:

That's what I thought

Mission: "To intercept and destroy aircraft and airborne missiles in all weather conditions in order to establish and maintain air superiority in a designated area. To deliver air-to-ground ordnance on time in any weather condition. And to provide tactical reconaissance imagery" - F-14 Tomcat Roll Call

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

PIP Forward and PIP Backward works for me too.

For me, too.

Hardware: Intel i5 4670K | Zalman NPS9900MAX | GeIL 16GB @1333MHz | Asrock Z97 Pro4 | Sapphire Radeon R9 380X Nitro | Samsung SSDs 840 series 120GB & 250 GB | Samsung HD204UI 2TB | be quiet! Pure Power 530W | Aerocool RS-9 Devil Red | Samsung SyncMaster SA350 24" + ASUS VE198S 19" | Saitek X52 | TrackIR 5 | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar | Speedlink Darksky LED | Razor Diamondback | Razor X-Mat Control | SoundBlaster Tactic 3D Rage ### Software: Windows 10 Pro 64Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Are you sure?

That was my first idea, but calling them PIP Forward and PIP Backward does not intuitively give you the functionality like 'Close Air Combat Mode Select'.

Do not try to make the controls into a manual. Call it what is called and let the user learn what that means. E.g.

PIP Forward

PIP Aft

PIP Depress

Whatever the control is called in the manual make sure that the control label is exactly the same character to character, capitalization, punctuation and all. Your users will learn the airplane that you make. Trust them.

Edited by Frederf

PIP Forward

PIP Backward

PIP Depress

would be fine, I guess. The A-10C uses the same notation (boat switch, china hat, etc.). But Zeus' suggestion in his edit of his original posting would work as well.

Only one question for me remains ... what does PIP stand for anyways? :o)

How do you select mag, can or 530 in CCM? Is the PIP Left still for Mag/Can? What about 530?

Do we have to do that in the PCA?

PIP doesn't change weapon selection, it only change CCM radar mode, and some modes are not available for all weapons.

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

Keep it PIP , like in A10C , there is no function name only button name (chine forward , etc..)

IAF.Tomer

My Rig:

Core i7 6700K + Corsair Hydro H100i GTX

Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7,G.Skill 32GB DDR4 3000Mhz

Gigabyte GTX 980 OC

Samsung 840EVO 250GB + 3xCrucial 275GB in RAID 0 (1500 MB/s)

Asus MG279Q | TM Warthog + Saitek Combat Pedals + TrackIR 5

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

How do you select mag, can or 530 in CCM? Is the PIP Left still for Mag/Can? What about 530?

Do we have to do that in the PCA?

The changes are not implemented yet. They will be in our development copy by tomorrow. As for when you will have them, probably on the June 3rd update.

We will not incorporate anything new on this Friday's update. We have to test new stuff and bug fixes.

The changes are not implemented yet. They will be in our development copy by tomorrow. As for when you will have them, probably on the June 3rd update.

We will not incorporate anything new on this Friday's update. We have to test new stuff and bug fixes.

Right. And I'm looking forward to the them.

My question was about how to select weapons on the Hotas in CCM :)

Right. And I'm looking forward to the them.

My question was about how to select weapons on the Hotas in CCM :)

I answered above, weapon selection doesn't change, it's about radar mode selection...

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi