OT- Su-25 on the Military Channel

Did anyone catch the show yesterday where they did a documentary on the Su-25? It was pretty interesting. They said pilots of the A-10 and F-18 even found the plane very enjoyable to fly, since it was very “agile” (ßthat doesn’t really seem relevant in Lock On with AFM :lol: ). A couple things came to mind, they said the plane was capable of breaking mach 1 with no external stores, and low fuel without diving. I haven’t logged in a lot of time with the frog in Lock On but is this modeled? Also, they said the cockpit region is made out of titanium and could withstand 20mm cannon with little or no damage at all, is this featured modeled? There was a couple things mentioned but i can't remember it right now but ill post when i remember it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

No, i didnt...I dont have dish or cable, just 6 channels and a crappy tv. I make up for it in my computer though! But whenever i get to a good tv, my fav channels are the military channel, history, and discovery wings! Those are the best channels!

Hearing what you said makes me dream.

I have never reached mach 1 in the frog with no weapons or feul in a strait and level flight...but i have in the su-25t...that is interesting.

It is pretty agile in LO (if it's not at 97% of max takeoff weight) - you just have to keep catching it as it tries to get away.

If it wasn't firing R-60M s it would almost hold its own in a turning fight. Against the AI anyway...

You can dodge their missiles & get a lock, but they can just out run your missiles & you in the end

No stores flat out it starts to become difficult to control as it aproaches M1 so it encourages you to back off, but I've taken it over M1 with a bit of hight to allow room to regain full control. All up I think it takes a reasonable amount of damage without falling out of the sky - if you don't count engine fires (we need a fire extinguisher!)

Cheers.

I'm finding vanilla 25 very agile, maybe you're not used to AFM yet?

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

Although i love the military channel, some of the shows are a bit weird. I know this show has been going on for a while but i just saw it again today and would like to share it with you guys: its about the top 10 fighter aircraft ever to be flown

10.) F/A-22 Raptor :megalol: wtf?

9.) Sea Harrier FA2

8.) Sopwith Camel

7.) ME 262

6.) Spitfire

5/4.) Both tied with the MiG 15 and the F86 Sabre

3.) F4 Phantom

2.) F-15C Eagle

1.) P51D Mustang

These planes were judge according to their score on these factors:

Kill Ratio

Fear Factor

Innovation

Production ratings

Service Time

I believe that list is very biased. For example, how the heck the F-22 even got on that list? Although its a "good" aircraft...it lacks service time, kill ratio, and production ratings, not to mention the heavy cost. I am surprised that the list didn’t consist of the F-16. Please state your opinion whether you agree with the top 10 fighter aircraft from the Military Channel- and lets not start a flame war. Just a simple name your top ten list. Personally I would’ve loved to see the Su-27 Flanker on that list, but I know it would have been brought down by its kill ratio, and maybe production ratings. But it would have scored well in fear factor and innovation. :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I saw this one two, they should have replaced F-22 w/ F/A-18 or F-16 instead..

Based on those factors- definitely. The Raptor will blow em all to smithereens- but it hasn't been in action yet that we know of, and you cannot just ignore the 16 & 18- gimme a break. The reasoning on some other topics on that show are kind of.. odd. They've done fighting ships, bombers, and a couple others.

Hmmm tough to make a top 10 list of all time of anything let alone fighters. Were nt the highest scoring aces of any war, german pilots in either the Me109 or the FW190, I mean I love the P51 but name me a US pilot with over 200 kills in the same bird. I could be wrong.

10.) F/A-22 Raptor :megalol: wtf?

9.) Sea Harrier FA2

8.) Sopwith Camel

7.) ME 262

6.) Spitfire

5/4.) Both tied with the MiG 15 and the F86 Sabre

3.) F4 Phantom

2.) F-15C Eagle

1.) P51D Mustang

MiG-21 not even on the list?? Jet built in biggest numbers by far, operated by biggest number of countries, in operation for 50 years...

Agility

... since it was very “agile” (ßthat doesn’t really seem relevant in Lock On with AFM :lol: ). A couple things came to mind, they said the plane was capable of breaking mach 1 with no external stores, and low fuel without diving. ...

Both the 25 and 25T seem be to quite 'agile' in the air if the power to weight ratio is great enough. Watch inverted flight however, as the fuel system will fail if inverted too long. On the ground they are a bit ducky. (And the tires are prone to blowouts in the AFM) Also it will wheelbarrow on you during take off if you don't keep some back pressure on the stick.

The AFM seems to create some odd buffeting around 750kph (the shakes) which adds a bit of interest to the jet although it seems a bit unrealistic. I suppose its trying to simulate sound barrier turbulence.

All in all its a great challenge and very rewarding to fly.

When all else fails, Eject then read the manual.

Oh, and a good wingman helps.

Depends if you have cable and whether or not you ordered that package. In my case, its on channel 116.

I have a satalite reciever.....and one problem maby, i live in the netherlands

DCS World, A10C, AV8B, M2k, FA18C, FC3, MIG21

"The AFM seems to create some odd buffeting around 750kph (the shakes) which adds a bit of interest to the jet although it seems a bit unrealistic. I suppose its trying to simulate sound barrier turbulence."

That's what it is - if you keep gaining speed you'll lose effectiveness on the controls & the plane's flight charicteristics will change (it will amongst other things 'trim down' & try to dive. - In game in a dive above M1 it's probably easier to roll inverted & 'push up' than try to do it right way up..)

Offline at least - it's quite good fun trying to take on fast jets in the Su25. For 'fairness' give them a couple of sidewinders & yourself R-60M's & put them on your tail 'cause you'll never catch them. Then you can play 'what's the time Mr wolf' - that kids game where you turn your back & let the others approach then try to turn around quickly & catch them unawares.

Cheers.

MiG-21 not even on the list?? Jet built in biggest numbers by far, operated by biggest number of countries, in operation for 50 years...

:P Don't be silly its a western program so don't expect anything but western aircraft to be mentioned bar the mig 15 which I guess was the token plane ,but it still had to be parred with its western counterpart:lol: it stinks of biased opinions ,but we don't get anything else on this side of the World. Propaganda is to blame its the strongest weapon.

"[51☭] FROSTIE" #55

51st PVO "BISONS"

Fastest MiG pilot in the world - TCR'10

https://100kiap.org