Flying Tank aka MiG-15

DBCooper

I try to shoot the il-76, it has 4 engine under its wing as you known.

Unless il-76 lost all of four engines or I use the gun to shoot its tail down, it could still fly back to the airfield.

Don't mind that.

Edited by Drag0nWIng

Also, when bullet-holes appear on, let's say the engine section, it doesn't mean that the engine is actually hit in DCS.

There is a bug in the gunsight, you have to aim slightly forward of the MiG. The ammount of 'slightly' varies with distance to the target. Smoking AI MiGs can take a chance to leave the fight. They won't do that as long as you are behind them though. It is only very difficult to guess when this is going to actually happen.

Anyways, I think the ammo load-out is sufficient to take out three or so MiG's. But it sure is a telling sign that after the Sabre, no more .50's where used on frontline fighters. I don't think the MiG-15 is really all that tough, I shot-off wings and other pieces before. But I think the .50's are just a little weak. (wich is surprising since WWII vets claim to have disabled Tiger Tanks with it, but that is another discussion. ;))

Edited by 1.JaVA_Platypus

Happy Flying! :pilotfly:

• 2 weeks later...

Well, as said before you will get best results when shooting at the wing roots, which works best if you are not shooting directly behind but from behind and above like you do whilst turning with the Mig.

The Mig cant outrun you, not even in perfect condition. It may outaccelerate you, but if you are patient you will start getting closer.

OS: Win10 | Hardware: Z97 Mainboard, i7 4790k @4Ghz, GTX980, 4x4GB DDR3-1600 Dual Channel Ram, TM Warthog (w/ Extension) + Throttle, CH Pro Pedals, TIR5 with Custom Clip

Just keep in mind that improving the AI damage model (fixing sounds kinda weird since there is no bug or similar) will also require to improve the AI code as it needs to be able to handle the damage.

But I agree that an inprovement would be nice, also for DCS WW2. THe damage model was made for missile engagements, and for those explosions it must not be that accurate, but now it should be improved as there are many aircraft that rely on guns only A2A.

@Platypus : Maybe you dont need to slightly lead the Mig when changing the target velocity selector in the gunsight controls panel (next to the rocket depression)? Havent experienced that yet, the gunsight was pretty accurate for me....limiting factor was my bad aiming, really need to practice!

Edited by qqQ

OS: Win10 | Hardware: Z97 Mainboard, i7 4790k @4Ghz, GTX980, 4x4GB DDR3-1600 Dual Channel Ram, TM Warthog (w/ Extension) + Throttle, CH Pro Pedals, TIR5 with Custom Clip

Also, when bullet-holes appear on, let's say the engine section, it doesn't mean that the engine is actually hit in DCS.

Yes and even when shooting directly through the engine exhaust, it is still running which is quite frustrating right now... :cry:

There is a bug in the gunsight, you have to aim slightly forward of the MiG. The ammount of 'slightly' varies with distance to the target. Smoking AI MiGs can take a chance to leave the fight. They won't do that as long as you are behind them though. It is only very difficult to guess when this is going to actually happen.

I don't think it's a bug. From what I know it's modelled like in reality. This type of gyro gunsight can only give good lead calculation when pulling a relatively low amount of g's.

So when you're turning very hard you can't rely on the gunsight anymore.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]