The stealth capabilities of the T-50 PAK FA

To be fair the current prototypes are not using the final engines with the radar blockers yet. It's too early and the Russians are facing other bigger issues and challenges to get it to production.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

As Pilotasso has mentioned: There is no way to tell how stealthy it is based on these prototypes.

It has placeholder engines with open intakes and exhausts, we have no clue how advanced the stealth coating is (which is a very important part of reducing the rcs) and the dodgy panel fit of recent pictures make it as visible as a whale on radar. It also shows that current flight tests aren't there to check if the stealth calculations and estimations are correct, it points to a more basic part of flight testing: getting all the parts to work together ;)

Comparing it to the F-22 and F-35 is useless as well. It was designed to be a different approach of affordability, manoeuvrability and stealth, more in line with the YF-23 and Eurocanards.

There is just no way we can guess the stealth capabilities based on pictures.

more in line with the YF-23 and Eurocanards.

I would consider the 23 more in line with the 22 than the Euro's. What did you mean by this?

Also, not up to date on the T-50. I know engine upgrades are planned, but I thought they were more a long term thing than short term?

I'm not that knowledgeable on stealth technology, but I wonder if 3D TVC will be used to offset some of the shaping disadvantages (if any) of the T-50. I've heard some complains about the adjustable LERX, but I don't see why it couldn't be locked in place for stealth.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

The engine intake ducts definitely need a redesign if they want it to be as stealthy as advertised, I believe "the size of a tennis ball" was mentioned? The challenge is doing it without losing too much thrust in the process.

It never was advertised like that.

To be fair the current prototypes are not using the final engines with the radar blockers yet. It's too early and the Russians are facing other bigger issues and challenges to get it to production.

These are final stage one engines. And radar blocker will just eat engine power.

"Я ошеломлён, но думаю об этом другими словами", - некий гражданин

Ноет котик, ноет кротик,

Ноет в небе самолетик,

Ноют клумбы и кусты -

Ноют все. Поной и ты.

were there ever plans for hiding the compressor in the pakfa? changing the airflow to the engine isn't something you can simply tack on, not simply because of the airflow but also because serpentine ducts would represent a radical relocation of internal structure. the us aircraft were designed from the get-go to have their engine locations offset from the intakes to allow for compressor occlusion without dramatically affecting airflow.

considering both inboard and outboard of the engine pods cannot be expanded without changing rcs and aerodynamics, not to mention they are occupied by the internal weapon stations, the pakfa would literally need baffles to obscure the compressor from view. i was thinking something like a f-117 ram mesh but i found this from concerns about pakfa engine face back in 2012: http://paralay.com/pakfa/t50%20%2852%29.jpg

Edited by probad

The engine intake ducts definitely need a redesign if they want it to be as stealthy as advertised, I believe "the size of a tennis ball" was mentioned? The challenge is doing it without losing too much thrust in the process.

1: Your picture is showing T-50-1. Compare stealth between F-35 and X-35.

2: Russians didn't go the full S-intake route for many obvious reasons. It isn't the only solution around to avoid RCS from engineface.

3: It will use radar blocker, which shockingly, T-50-1 doesn't have.

4: All this is available on the internet with minimal research.

5: Russians are not retarded, they are fully aware what S-intake is. Su-47 had them and guess what, they didnt forget about it since then.

• Like 1

1: Your picture is showing T-50-1. Compare stealth between F-35 and X-35.

2: Russians didn't go the full S-intake route for many obvious reasons. It isn't the only solution around to avoid RCS from engineface.

3: It will use radar blocker, which shockingly, T-50-1 doesn't have.

4: All this is available on the internet with minimal research.

5: Russians are not retarded, they are fully aware what S-intake is. Su-47 had them and guess what, they didnt forget about it since then.

A) What is the purpose of goint to flight test, if whatever characteristics you get won't represent the real result?

B) What is the purpose of radar blocker, if you have intake ramp in front of it?

Edited by ФрогФут

Ноет котик, ноет кротик,

Ноет в небе самолетик,

Ноют клумбы и кусты -

Ноют все. Поной и ты.

This plane is not dead yet?

I've heard India ran away some time ago leaving Russia with flying shape.

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

Are you sure? My comment was based on this:

It also states, that the intakes are S-shaped.:)

Ноет котик, ноет кротик,

Ноет в небе самолетик,

Ноют клумбы и кусты -

Ноют все. Поной и ты.

A small reflector cover like ones used in the F-18E/F/G would fix the intake design problem.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

I would agree, we have little idea what we are looking at, but that may be the blocker.

I also agree that the Russians aren't stupid. They use a different approach to problems than the USA, and don't have the luxury of throwing trillions of dollars at a problem until it goes away. Having a different or even simpler approach doesn't make them wrong, just different. The Russians have made some amazing aircraft with that line of thinking.

Either way it's kind of interesting to me that one particular authority in the U.S. aviation field thinks the whole stealth thing is kind of a joke anyway. I guess only time will tell how important it really will be in future warfare. My bet is better sensor, SA due to battle space technology, and weapons will surpass stealth ability (if they haven't already)

Edited by Hook47

stealth will become standard for aircraft much like how armies eventually abandoned the colorful garbs of napoleonic warfare in favor of camo fatigues.

the future of aerial camouflage is likely to become more comprehensive and in depth. any driving factor for abandoning stealth would not be enemy detection capabilities but rather the cost of operating air assets, which is not likely to drop as much as the cost of stealth technology.

Edited by probad

Been researching this abit and we're probably looking at a blocker and not the actual fan blades of the engine itself. The F/A-18E features a similar radar blocking fan.

That's the first stage of low pressure compressor.

smi_kitayu_bolshe_nuzhni_dvigateli_al-41f-_chem_osnashyonnie_imi_istrebiteli.jpg

Ноет котик, ноет кротик,

Ноет в небе самолетик,

Ноют клумбы и кусты -

Ноют все. Поной и ты.

I can neither confirm nor deny that, but here's the F-18's radar blocking fan for comparison:

Arent pictures of the F-18Es intake prohibited by the Military?

Coulda sworn personel were not allowed to take pictures of the SHs intake, let alone post online.

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs