DCS World 1.2 to 1.5 Now Available

SharpeXB

When version 1.5 moves out of Beta at the end of Dec, will my DCSW 1.2 install be upgraded automatically via the updater? Or will it be necessary to uninstall 1.2 and download 1.5?

What about the control mapping and pilot logbook? I'm assuming if the update is automatic those will be retained.

Will the update from 1.5 to 2.0 be automatic as well?

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | ASUS TUF GeForce RTX 4090 OC | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

From the announcements:

DCS World 1.5 Update

Although a lot of the public focus has been on DCS World 2.0 and the Nevada map this past week, we continue to update and improve DCS World 1.5. Once we further debug version 1.5 and we make the Caucasus map compatible with DCS World 2.0, we will merge 1.5 content into a unified version 2.0. Next week though we plan to release a 1.5.2 update.

DCS World 2.0 and Nevada Map Update

Over the past week, we have been keeping a very close eye on bug reports and have noted them in our bug tracking database. We are now in the process of addressing those bugs in order to bring the map from Alpha to Beta. We expect to bring you the first Nevada map update next week.

Control Mapping - you can try it, not recommended. The recommendation is to rebuild them from scratch.

Pilot Logbook - I don't know, I know in the alpha and beta builds they did not carry over.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Also:

A Review of DCS Versions

At this time we have three different versions of DCS World available and we understand that some of you may be a little confused. In order to provide more clarity, here is what you need to know:

Ver. 1.2. This is the current released (stable) version of the game that includes all modules except the Nevada DLC map and L-39. It however uses our older graphics engine.

You can download it here: http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.co...ads/world/1.2/

Ver. 1.5. This version includes all the same content as Ver. 1.2, but uses the new graphics engine. At the end of December 2015, we plan to move Ver. 1.5 out of Open Beta and make it the new released (stable) version. At that time, Ver. 1.2 will no longer be updated and supported.

You can download it here: http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.co...ads/world/1.5/

Ver. 2.0. This version uses the same, new engine as 1.5, but ONLY works with the Nevada DLC map at this time. We are continually updating the Nevada DLC map now using this version. For now, Ver. 2.0 is being used as a testbed for the Nevada DLC map.

You can download it here: http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.co...ads/world/2.0/

Once versions 1.5 and 2.0 are debugged and working well next year, we will integrate them into a common Ver. 2.0 release (stable) version that will include both the free Caucasus map, the Nevada DLC map, and future maps. At that time, we will drop Ver. 1.5 and Ver. 2.0 will be the only supported DCS World version.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

From the announcements:

Control Mapping - you can try it, not recommended. The recommendation is to rebuild them from scratch.

Pilot Logbook - I don't know, I know in the alpha and beta builds they did not carry over.

Right, I've seen the advice which says not to copy files over into the Beta. That makes sense. I'm wondering what happens when the official update happens though.

I lost all my mapping with a new motherboard so it's a clean sweep for me regardless. I only remapped the A-10C and won't bother with any others till after the update.

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | ASUS TUF GeForce RTX 4090 OC | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

I have a feeling when the official final update is merged, they will recommend rebuilding them again from scratch lol.

Don B

I have a feeling when the official final update is merged, they will recommend rebuilding them again from scratch lol.

That's what I'm assuming right now as well.

Somewhere between reinstalling DCS and the new mb and Windows 10 re-importing my control settings would not work. So that's a lost cause in any case.

For the logbook I'm going to be sure to finish any campaigns before updating.

control mapping should migrate fine (no harm in loading your profile) with a few exceptions if they have changed any bindings or control names.

a good example would be loading old mig-21 profile after they have changed the mig-21 list to have different names for some of the functions... and even then you would just have to go and adjust your profile and re-save.

not supported by doesn't always mean it won't work but rather they would rather us redo everything so that we won't blame them for any control mapping issues we have, its to reduce support calls.

what your probably confusing is copying of game files not controller bindings, if your dropping modules from 1.2 into 1.5 or 2.0 then they probably wouldn't function correctly.

FYI, I'm using profiles that were created back in 1.12.8 in 2.0

so TLDR, try to load a profile and see if it takes (which it should np)

Back to original post. Will 1.2... install be upgraded automatically? or do we need to download 1.5?

MJ

msi Z170A MB, i7-6700k @ 4.0GHz, 32GB DDR4

GeForce GTX 970 4GB, Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB

Acer Predator Z271, 650w PSU, Corsair Carbon500R, MS FFB 2

Back to original post. Will 1.2... install be upgraded automatically? or do we need to download 1.5?

MJ

At the end of December 2015, we plan to move Ver. 1.5 out of Open Beta and make it the new released (stable) version. At that time, Ver. 1.2 will no longer be updated and supported. :book:

You can download 1.5 here: http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.co...ads/world/1.5/

To rephrase the question: will the updater automatically update 1.2 tot 1.5 release version or will the 1.5 Openbeta installation itself automatically update to 1.5 release version ?

Just to know whether we keep the 1.2 on our disks for now or not.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

it is a slight annoyance that there is no definite answer to the original question, but i hope this will be clarified by ED when the info becomes available. we are talking about a big amount of data here and some people (not me personally) have internet transfer quotas, costs etc to overview.

i finally caved and installed 2.0 early this week, and now have 1.2/1.5 and 2.0 installed with all my modules. it is important to notice, that while installing 1.5 the installer took a huge amount of data (around 17GB?) from the OLD installation of 1.2 (and the 2.0 installer took about the same amount from the 1.5 folder) BEFORE starting to download all the additional data it needed from the ED servers (or torrents).

so it would be nice to know which of the folders (if any)- 1.2, 1.5 or 2.0 will be used as the base of the new upcoming stable branch, or specifically which version to keep as a "data cache" and which to REMOVE (to free up space on the SSD) before the new installation goes live....

To rephrase the question: will the updater automatically update 1.2 tot 1.5 release version or will the 1.5 Openbeta installation itself automatically update to 1.5 release version ?

Just to know whether we keep the 1.2 on our disks for now or not.

Seriously, take and moment and think about the user base.

Only a small fraction will be running the Open Beta and Open Alpha.

Clearly the release version (1.2.16) is the one that'll get updated.

Doesn't it say 1.5 will be updated and 1.2 will no longer be updated and supported....

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2614988&postcount=9

I guess that's the answer right there as far as 1.2 is concerned.

What about the update from 1.5 to 2.0?

It says that 1.5 will be merged into 2.0. Does that mean uninstalling 1.5 and then installing 2.0?

If that's the case I won't bother with 1.5. I'll just wait for 2.0 and do the upgrade only once.

Edited by SharpeXB

I guess that's the answer right there

Keep in mind that 1.5 wasn't supposed to exist in the first place. I wouldn't make any assumptions.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Keep in mind that 1.5 wasn't supposed to exist in the first place. I wouldn't make any assumptions.

This whole thing is being rolled out in a incredibly confusing way. There are even beta modules now being released into the beta game version. Betas on top of betas. Plus another alpha.

This whole thing is being rolled out in a incredibly confusing way. There are even beta modules now being released into the beta game version. Betas on top of betas. Plus another alpha.

How is it confusing?

Open Beta and Open Alpha are optional test versions.

Let's make this simple: Pretend you don't have them installed.

What will ED have to do for the people who only have the release version installed?

They'll have to update the installed release version, currently at 1.2.16, to 1.5.

Easy.

Here's a picture version of what's going on: http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2597670&postcount=52

Edited by Buzzles

Unless one is really cramped for space, I see no need to uninstall any of them. No harm in having three versions installed, nice to have them when installing a new version as it can pull data from them rather than having to download it all.

At least that is what I am doing. If I were cramped for space, I would probably want to have 1.5. After experiencing the Edge engine, just don't think I could go back to 1.2 again. But really if one is cramped for space from just the three versions, time to consider a larger drive for DCS. Once they are all merged, and especially with more terrain coming ( Straight of Hormuz), going to need the space.

Don B

No not really. I think the main confusion comes from not having a real clear understanding of which version will finally be utilized as the final when all is said and done. Historically it would be the stable release version that gets updated with the final stable release, in this case 1.2. But with it being a complete new graphics engine, who knows .

1.5 and 2.0 are beta and alpha's respectively, and are there strictly for testing purposes by those that wish to participate in them, and hopefully provide feedback on any bugs they might run across. The thing is though, 1.5 with the new Edge engine is so dang nice, folks are wanting to run it instead anyway, even though it is still a beta. And then there is the new NTTR in 2.0, which spanks 1.5 in terms of terrain .

Don B

As I understand it, and this is just a speculation, nothing more, the 1.2 will be updated to the latest available 1.5 beta in an usual way through the updater, so that both versions will be identical. I hope that most, if not all data will be copied from 1.5 beta install. Since both version will be identical, profiles etc. from beta should work in stable official 1.5.

I also hope that the 1.5 beta will be updated to 2.0 in the same manner, which will make the 2.0 alpha install obsolete and ready to uninstall to finally get some disk space back. :D

What will ED have to do for the people who only have the release version installed?

They'll have to update the installed release version, currently at 1.2.16, to 1.5.

Precisely. No matter what they have said, they have to provide an upgrade path for those that never experimented with beta and alpha versions.

Of course, there is nothing that says they won't insist that a clean install is the only path.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Just uninstall 1.2. I did it long time ago.

Untill 2.0 will become stable version there will be a lot of problems. Keybinding on the other hand is a long story and you will become use to it after almost every updtae for a beta module.

I'm almost finished with the Maple Flag campaigns so no desire to mess that up.

I don't have any trouble just waiting to do a clean install of 2.0 when its all finally ready. I'm not into doing betas.