Improved FLIR Simulation

Wizard1393

Improved FLIR Simulation  

252 members have voted

1. 1. Improved FLIR Simulation

• Yes, targets are very hard to find against the terrain
    • No, keep it as is.

You are wrong and this is not true. Most of the ppl. want what´s necessary for a SIMULATION- a truely simulated flir.

Since this is a flight simulator with realistic flight model, weapons, radar, navigation, and weather. Why accept a cheap trade-off for a very very very core element of modern warfare: Heat signature based air to ground resp. ground to ground combat. Re-think of it. I would gladely pay for a dcs-world 3 or a-10c version 2 with enhanced imaging! (As ppl. already did with blackshark and flaming cliffs - remember?).

So you rather want to wait 2-n years and then pay for it - and in the mean time have a _totally_ useless TGP? Or would you rather want a TGP that is at least not worse than what we had in 1.2.x, the bug fixed ... and THEN perhaps wait 2-n years for something better?

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are wrong and this is not true. Most of the ppl. want what´s necessary for a SIMULATION- a truely simulated flir.

Since this is a flight simulator with realistic flight model, weapons, radar, navigation, and weather. Why accept a cheap trade-off for a very very very core element of modern warfare: Heat signature based air to ground resp. ground to ground combat. Re-think of it. I would gladely pay for a dcs-world 3 or a-10c version 2 with enhanced imaging! (As ppl. already did with blackshark and flaming cliffs - remember?).

+1

Maybe we should just make a poll. A-10C version 2. What features, price ...

Then again, maybe the work on the F/A 18 will be brought over to the Warthog.

Edited by RabidRider

So you rather want to wait 2-n years and then pay for it - and in the mean time have a _totally_ useless TGP? Or would you rather want a TGP that is at least not worse than what we had in 1.2.x, the bug fixed ... and THEN perhaps wait 2-n years for something better?

I want a working flir and no compromise. Unless then i wont buy any other modules or campaigns or maps or whatever. And if it takes more money - who cares? This sim is by far too cheap anyways. If it takes more time - so what? Fixing flir should have been top priority (bs2, a10c, CA) because it is broken since a10 beta and BS1. Broken!

Same with see-through, respectively radar-through mountains and forests of AI units. This is CORE so it should have worked from the beginning.

I love this sim by far too much, and a since ED is the only company producing a military SIM with so much effort for tiny details (just look at the cbu mechanics), I am absolutely positive that a working flir is within range.

9900k, 2080TI, 64GB, ssd, valve index, Thrustmaster on virpil, virpil cm2 throttle, tpr pedals, mfd.

I fly the Hog since Oct. 2010 and FLIR was always good enough for me :thumbup:

but now i play the great TEW DLC and i am unable to find/see all targets. :joystick:

Sorry but: This is Bullshit! I´m a DCS freak and i know about the circumstances but

if i were a new customer to the sim i would think, Arrgghh... WTF?!:mad:

It´s a shame! ED please try to solve this problem also for all new players!

I guess I found a workaround, more or less by accident.

Applying the workaround:

1. Check your visibility range setting: Options -> System -> VISIB RANGE

2. Edit the appropriate Lua file in \Config\terrain using Notepad++:

C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Config\terrain\{WHATEVER}.lua

(Should be one of Low.lua, Medium.lua, High.lua, Ultra.lua or Extreme.lua)

3. Change the noisemax value to 0.5:

--Old Noise 
land_noise =
{
   noisemin = 0.0;
   [b]noisemax = 0.5;[/b]
   noise1front = 1000.0; 
   noise1back = 30000.0;
   noise1top = 2500.0;
   noise1bottom = 2000.0;
   noise1PerSquare = 4.0;
   noise2PerSquare = 150.0;
}

4. Launch DCS and happy hunting. thumbup.gif

Finally, a word towards ED: The TGP worked okay in 1.2. It was almost entirely broken in 1.5. This is not a wishlist item, this is a bug.

Thank you Yurgon drinks_cheers.gif will try it now!

• Like 2

regards Ganesh

She: "Your orders from ED have reached a total amount of $871,88 and your hardware expenses are countless..."
Me: "I can´t invest my money much better until i wait for Germanys Next Top Model": The
Bo-105 PAH1A1

+ Vulkan & continuous work on multithread & VR optimization!

Asus Z490E - 10900k@5,3GHz - 64GB 3600 DDR4 - 4090FE - Reverb G2 - MFG Crosswinds +DamperMod - Selfmade TableMounts - Centered VirPil T-50 Base with 20cm Extension - TM Warthog & Hornet Grip - TM Throttle +SlewMod - Pimped MSFFB2 for Huey - JetSeat SE on a sawn out office Chair - PointCTRL

Ok, then they have to change the name of thread too.

From "improved FLIR simulation" to "workable FLIR simulation"

regards Ganesh

She: "Your orders from ED have reached a total amount of $871,88 and your hardware expenses are countless..."
Me: "I can´t invest my money much better until i wait for Germanys Next Top Model": The
Bo-105 PAH1A1

+ Vulkan & continuous work on multithread & VR optimization!

Asus Z490E - 10900k@5,3GHz - 64GB 3600 DDR4 - 4090FE - Reverb G2 - MFG Crosswinds +DamperMod - Selfmade TableMounts - Centered VirPil T-50 Base with 20cm Extension - TM Warthog & Hornet Grip - TM Throttle +SlewMod - Pimped MSFFB2 for Huey - JetSeat SE on a sawn out office Chair - PointCTRL

yep TGP worked much better in 1.2, now in 1.5 it is practically useless, the trucks blend in perfectly with the ground.

Well, many vehicles would blend perfectly with the terrain if they are not having different temperatures.

Trucks are mostly same temperature than background, the engine and possible cockpit having different temperatures (and tires if driving around).

Like Steel Beasts does it well:

20130922131939%21M1A2_Front_TIS.JPG

index.php?title=File:T55_TIS_front-right.jpg

And those are the thermal maps when those vehicles has been moving and firing.

And the thermal map starts fading off once vehicle isn't moving (tracks/tires starts fade) or has not been firing for a moment (barrel, weapons etc) or when the engine has been turned off (engine block).

So vehicle standing still somewhere isn't easy to spot with FLIR at all.

And in Steel Beasts it works that you simply turn engine off to listen environment where enemy might move, you lower your thermal image so person just using thermals doesn't spot you at all and you can surprise them.

But we don't even have a working cover system in DCS or we don't have system where FLIR would could be rendered blind just by covering the vehicles with nets etc.

Pilots just seem to wish that their FLIR would be god mighty eye that sees everything at glance.

IR20071228_0106vl.jpg

IR20071228_0106ir.jpg

Try to see this kind vehicle via thermal camera:

leopard-2-a6-military-wallpaper.jpg

Very difficult to spot at all.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Not sure why this is in the Wishlist category... the FLIR is frequently unusable (broken) in many situations. As far as a simulator is concerned, this isn't being simulated very well.

While I'm sure people are busy, a "We recognize there's a problem" comment from a dev would go along way.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

FLIR issues are being investigated for the older map, thats all I can say right now, and honestly dont remember if I already stated that, but there it is again if I did :)

YES!! This response made my day! I knew my faith wasn't misplaced! :pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Just flew a fast mission in the new 1.5 release, it seems to work ok in snow covered terrain... maybe they fixed something

Win 10, Gigabyte Aorus Ultra with i5 9600KF @ 4.6GHz, 32G DDR4 3200 RAM, GTX 1070, TrackIR 5, TM Warthog stick on VPC Warbird base, Warthog Throttle for jets & helis, CH Throttle Quadrant for props, CH Pro Pedals, 500GB SSDs for installed sims :gun_smilie:

Just flew a fast mission in the new 1.5 release, it seems to work ok in snow covered terrain... maybe they fixed something

It always worked fine like that, the green vehicles on a white background is a lot of contrast.

Intel 9600K@4.9GHz, Asus Z390, 32GB DDR4, EVGA RTX 3070, Custom Water Cooling, 970 EVO 1TB NVMe

34" UltraWide 3440x1440 Curved Monitor, 21" Touch Screen MFD monitor, TIR5

My Pit Build, VKB Gunfighter Pro w/WH Grip, TMWH Throttle, MFG Crosswinds W/Combat Pedals, Cougar MFDs, Custom A-10C panels, Custom Helo Collective, SimShaker with Transducer

FLIR issues are being investigated for the older map, thats all I can say right now, and honestly dont remember if I already stated that, but there it is again if I did :)

Thanks Sith, I have been keeping a close eye on all these FLIR threads and I think this is the first response we got from anyone official. Appreciate it!

5900X - 32 GB 3600 RAM - 1080TI

My Twitch Channel

~Moo

I was doing a misision, where i could not see the heatsignature from these tanks, even though they had been moving for several minutes (See attached screenshot)

A semi working FLIR really is a fuelhungry "feature", since you have to loiter for several minutes to spot the enemy, and makes it pretty difficult to loiter 15nm out to spot targets before a attack run.

Screen_151229_124050.thumb.jpg.69908a9ff6e1e7601af0b9da73ff0f8c.jpg

Inno3d RTX 2070 Twin X2, ASUS STRIX Z270E Gaming, Intel i7 7700K, 32GB Corsair vengeance, Kingston Hyper X FPS Alloy Cherry MX Red, Logitech G102 Prodigy, Track Ir 5, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Combat Rudder pedals, Beyer Dynamic DT770, Acer CB280HK 4K monitor, Win 10 Pro 64bit

Is it possible to change the skins of the vehicles, instead of changing the noisemax value? In mission editor or in any of the .lua files?

If you change the color of the vehicles, they'll stand out even less, unless you also adapt the TGP implementation, which i currently doubt is possible via .lua.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!