Tips on Landing Mig 21

flying_chaos

Does anyone have any tip on how to Land Mig 21. I have tried about 100 times and have landed only once on the runway.

Here are some of the difficulties I face.

1. Hit the runway 2 hard.

This is actually getting fixed as I am getting used to trimming.

2. Cant Align myself with the runway. Most of the time I end up in the grass. Not matter how much I try I always seem to approach at awkward angles and end up in Grass.

3. Run out of runway before I can land.

Any help will be appreciated.

I struggled a bit with this as well. What I did was go back to the training and keep pausing the tutorial to check all was correct. The main thing with the 21 is it needs a lot faster approach than most other planes so give yourself a lot longer run in. Use plenty of rudder to keep her straight and you should be golden,

...Guy

Helicopters!! Never trust anything that screws itself into the air!

Do a search. This has been covered countless times.

No need to be so harsh, it's obviously difficult and a topic we can expect to be revisited.

Does anyone have any tip on how to Land Mig 21. I have tried about 100 times and have landed only once on the runway.

2. Cant Align myself with the runway. Most of the time I end up in the grass. Not matter how much I try I always seem to approach at awkward angles and end up in Grass.

The biggest tip I can give you as a new MiG 21 pilot is pay VERY close attention to your VVI (Or VSI in western aircraft) and your approach speed. Also, make sure you align yourself on a long final and do not get too low. You will know you are getting too low if you lose sight of the threshold of your runway over your nose. The MiG 21 has a VERY tight approach envelope you want to maintain- That is a speed of 340kph (NO SLOWER) and a descent rate of no more than 10m/s as indicated on the VVI. When you cross the threshold of the runway and are closing on ground effect (the last 20 feet or so before touch down) fully arrest your descent to almost nothing on the VVI. Just a SCRATCH below 0, which would be about 1-3 M/s descent. Keep your speed on or higher than about 330 for touchdown (better fast than slow). Once you are on the ground and below 275 release your Drogue shoot, which is the black button just behind the canopy latches.

Be careful trimming, as you will loose a feel for your planes sink rate and can endup in a sudden stall or sink.

Make sure you have good wind correction in if you are having trouble with runway alignment. Also give yourself AMPLE approach distance when learning. I recommend loading the MiG 21 landing tutorial and replaying it as needed, as it establishes you on a nice long approach

Let us know if any of these tips help or if you are having any other issues! If you want to fly online sometime and do a little practice send me a PM and I can host a session!

Edited by Hook47

No need to be so harsh.

The biggest tip I can give you as a new MiG 21 pilot

Well, there's a simple solution that may help with alignment on final approach and that's to use the PRMG system in the MiG-21 (not all airfields are PRMG equipped though, however I believe there is an official tinkering process that adds PRMG to airfields). I'd refer to the manual on that one :thumbup:

The rest of it is all practice. Practice... practice... practice... and don't forget to pop your chute, it's pretty much the only sensible way of quickly stopping.

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Well, there's a simple solution that may help with alignment on final approach and that's to use the PRMG system in the MiG-21 (not all airfields are PRMG equipped though, however I believe there is an official tinkering process that adds PRMG to airfields). I'd refer to the manual on that one :thumbup:

The rest of it is all practice. Practice... practice... practice... and don't forget to pop your chute, it's pretty much the only sensible way of quickly stopping.

I would avoid using those systems (PRMG) as a new pilot and learn to do it the VFR way first.

I struggled a bit with this as well. What I did was go back to the training and keep pausing the tutorial to check all was correct. The main thing with the 21 is it needs a lot faster approach than most other planes so give yourself a lot longer run in. Use plenty of rudder to keep her straight and you should be golden,

...Guy

Not to be disagreeable but for a new pilot I would recommend avoiding heavy rudder use on approach, as you can induce slip and sink at lower speed. Much safer to correct with roll.

We've all been there :D. Mig-21 is by far the most difficult plane in DCS to land. But once you master it, all other planes will seem like you've turned on the easy mode. :)

Don't try to land heavy, have no more than 700-1000l of fuel and no weapons.

It's crucial to flare at the right moment - to late and you'll hit the ground hard, to early you'll bleed of your speed and fall like a brick. Don't set the throttle to idle until you're on the ground, keep it above 65%! As mentioned, keep close watch on your vertical speed - it should be close to zero on touchdown.

Align yourself properly early during the approach. Use zoom and the reticle to center the runaway.

Use the drag chute. Practice at Mineralnye Vody, it has the longest runaway :D.

Above else, practice. I does get easier. :D

Edited by grunf

Agreed with above high angle of attack and watch speed. It is difficult to get aligned properly but make sure you can look either side of nose with track IR it helps a great deal:)

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Agreed with above high angle of attack and watch speed. It is difficult to get aligned properly but make sure you can look either side of nose with track IR it helps a great deal:)

I forgot to mention I usually lean my head high and to the left or right to look past the nose through the front cockpit quarter panel. Just keep the right or left side of the runway aligned and offset the appropriate direction and you will stay aligned well.

Hello, regarding point 2, I suggest (1) tune your PRMG receiver (both dials) to the terrain's PRMG, set runway course on the HSI, you should hear the morse code from PRMG station and see distance to runway as well as direction on HSI.

(2) When you are in range of the runway, switch to landing mode (switch down), red flags on ADI indicating that PRMG station are not in range should appear.

(3) When you catch the PRMG signals (red flags disappear, PRMG white barrs appear on HSI), activate SAU landing command mode (left most button on SAU panel, this mode disconnects itself easily so check the button is still lit green from time to time).

With this mode enabled the ADI will show cues (yellow bars) on how to maneuver your aircraft to stay on course.

Make sure you maintain correct speeds (see earlier posts in this thread) and follow the yellow bars :thumbup:

Then practice, practice and practice :D

It seems tedious but once you get an almost right approach this will help to refine it further.

Is there a way to check if your aircraft damage at all. like a systems check or diagnostic something like that ?

The big red button on the instrument panel might start flashing if something is wrong. It won't work for every problem and it doesn't tell you what is broken.

Other than that, aircraft feel and looking at instruments and out the window are your only diagnostic tools.