New hard drive question

I have been running DCS world on an old HDD and get stutters when it try's to load distant scenery. I have an SSD but at 64GB it is already full.

So I have just bought a new samsung 850 evo 250 GB SSD on which to install dcs but I onset which setup is likely to give me the best performance:

1. Close my old SSD with OS into the new SSD and install DCS. DCS will then be on the same dribble as windows (c:/)

2. Keep my 64Gb SSD as my primary drive with windows installed and use the 250GB SSD as a secondary drive (D:/) (still SATA III) for just games. I will then move the old HDD in a SATA II slot (E:/) and use it to store work and archives files.

So what I am asking is is it better to have DCS installed on the same drive as windows or on a separate drive or does it make no difference?

I am currently using the c:/ for pagefile also and so does affect where I install DCS.

Thanks in advance,

Jacks

System Specs: i7 8700k @ 5.0GHz (not delidded), ASRock Extreme4 Z370 MOBO, EVGA GTX 1080 SC 8GB, 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz DDR4 RAM, Samsung Evo 240GB SSD, Samsung Evo 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Noctura NH-D15S Heat Sink, Acer VE278H 27" 1080p Monitor, Ocukus Rift CV1.

Controllers: TrackIR 5, Thrustmaster HOTAS X, Saitek Throttle Quadrant (with DIY removable collective mod), Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals.

Just trying to keep my number of takeoffs and landings equal!

I think that this thread should be moved to PC Hardware and Related Software forum

Regarding your question : reading from different sources and Tech forums in the web it seems that you wont benefit much, if at all, from two separate SSDs since from starts we're talking about fast flash drives.

Interesting to hear what tech wizards here think...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i5 4690K | ASUS Z-97PRO Gaming Mobo | Nvidia Gigabyte GTX970 3.5/0.5 GB Windforce3 | G.Skill Ripjaws-X 2x8GB DDR3 1600Mhz | Samsung Evo 120GB SSD | Win10 Pro | Antec 750w 80 Bronze Modular

All else being equal, there isn't going to be any noticeable difference in performance between using one or two SSDs. However, as mentioned, the new drive is likely to be significantly faster so installing/cloning Windows onto that drive and then installing DCS is probably the best route to choose.

EDIT: It is also worth noting that putting that putting the 64GB drive into an external USB 3.0 enclosure (no external power needed) makes for a nice 64GB flash drive. That is what I did with a 60GB drive when I retired it.

Edited by cichlidfan

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

keep Windows on one and put DCS on the other.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

There is a 2GB/sec limit in the PCH which controls ALL of your Sata, USB, and what-not-else.

Whatever you do with Sata based drives, your are gonna hit that Titan Wall of max transfer pretty soon with multiple SSD's.

The only way out of that corner is a 6Gbit SAS Controller that hooks up to 8x PCI-Xv3

OR

PCI-E based flash drives right away.

The "old" way of thinking, splitting OS, DB, Data nto different Pata/Sata channels to level out usage and bandwidth/access strokes is WAY OBSOLETE with SSDs these days. The 2GB limit just kills anything with 3 SSD on Sata and above, just no gain in speed anymore, like 4 x SLI , very very analog.

Still, with 2 SSD's, it still makes sense to balance I/O on 2 Sata channels. If I had 2 SSD's of equal spped, I would split OS and GAMES before doing a Raid-0 setup.

just my 2 cents

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X