Datalink training mission comm problems

I tried 124.0, 127.0 and 127.5

No joy.

Also the selector on the right for the (next to 1,2,3,4)

Should it be on WING or COM.

The tutorial says COM but I saw a youtube video that says WING.

Edited by erjdriver

I tried 124.0, 127.0 and 127.5

No joy.

Also the selector on the right for the (next to 1,2,3,4)

Should it be on WING or COM.

The tutorial says COM but I saw a youtube video that says WING.

OK, have you got easy comms set in options? Have heard that it is bugged.

Modules NOT currently in my hanger

Yak 52/F-14 Tomcat/CE II/Mig-19/I-16/FW-A-8/JF-17/Supercarrier

My system:

MSI Z97 Gaming 5 mobo

3.5 GHz Intel Core i5 4690k

H100i CPU Cooler

16 GB 1866 MHz DDR3 Hyper X Fury Red

MSI GTX980ti GPU

EVGA 850W PSU

Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD

128gb Plextor M.2 storage (Boot Drive)

Windows 10 X64 Professional

Acer XB281HK G-sync monitor

Trackir 5

MFG Crosswind pedals

T M Warthog Hotas

OK, have you got easy comms set in options? Have heard that it is bugged.

No - i don't.

Still hoping for a solution to my problem.

Even though I cannot communicate with others, I played around with the commands and came up with 2 other questions.

1. Is there an CAGE SHKVAL command - is that the same as weapon reset (BACKSPACE) - if not what's the default key binding for it.

2. If I have a datalink point saved on the ABRIS - is there a way to get SHKVAL to lock on to them. I was able to select them - i.e. flash on the ABRIS by pressing the target type on the datalink panel.

No - i don't.

Even though I cannot communicate with others, I played around with the commands and came up with 2 other questions.

1. Is there an CAGE SHKVAL command - is that the same as weapon reset (BACKSPACE) - if not what's the default key binding for it.

2. If I have a datalink point saved on the ABRIS - is there a way to get SHKVAL to lock on to them. I was able to select them - i.e. flash on the ABRIS by pressing the target type on the datalink panel.

Rather than me try to explain questions 1 & 2 (I'm terrible) take a look at these tutorials.

Going back to your comms problem, it is also important to have your SPU9-PTT button bound to "RAlt\" keyboard command.

Modules NOT currently in my hanger

Yak 52/F-14 Tomcat/CE II/Mig-19/I-16/FW-A-8/JF-17/Supercarrier

My system:

MSI Z97 Gaming 5 mobo

3.5 GHz Intel Core i5 4690k

H100i CPU Cooler

16 GB 1866 MHz DDR3 Hyper X Fury Red

MSI GTX980ti GPU

EVGA 850W PSU

Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD

128gb Plextor M.2 storage (Boot Drive)

Windows 10 X64 Professional

Acer XB281HK G-sync monitor

Trackir 5

MFG Crosswind pedals

T M Warthog Hotas

Rather than me try to explain questions 1 & 2 (I'm terrible) take a look at these tutorials.

Going back to your comms problem, it is also important to have your SPU9-PTT button bound to "RAlt\" keyboard command.

Re the data link - i press \ key and I do get the comm menus F1.. etc.

But it's not transmitting - but i'll look at your PTT suggestion.

All the symptoms of an incorrect freq. - i've set the radio selector to VHF2 and turned it on.

No - i don't.

1. Yes. (Or rather, reset weapons system is the only way to cage the Skhval.)

2. Yes. If it's flashing on the ABRIS, do reset weapons system (this does not, IIRC, reset the datalink target selection), then uncage the Shkval (O).

This text (from part of my Ka-50 guide which I haven't released yet) describes the Shkval uncage behavior:

If the Shkval is in standby mode (that is, powered, but displaying all gray), here's what happens when you hit the uncage button.

If you have nothing selected, or if you have a waypoint selected on the PVI-800 panel, the Shkval will point dead ahead. Uncaging it again will cause the Shkval to begin panning back and forth, in accordance with the Shkval scan settings described two sections below.

If you have the helmet-mounted sight equipped and activated, the Shkval will instead immediately point to follow it.

If you have any sort of target point selected, uncaging the Shkval will immediately focus on that point. (Nav target points on the PVI-800 have priority, followed by datalink targets.) The target point to which the Shkval will pan will be flashing on the ABRIS. If you have the helmet-mounted sight activated and equipped, subsequent presses of the uncage button will point the Shkval to follow it.

Black Shark, Harrier, and Hornet pilot

Many Words - Serial Fiction | Ka-50 Employment Guide | Ka-50 Avionics Cheat Sheet | Multiplayer Shooting Range Mission

1. Yes. (Or rather, reset weapons system is the only way to cage the Skhval.)

2. Yes. If it's flashing on the ABRIS, do reset weapons system (this does not, IIRC, reset the datalink target selection), then uncage the Shkval (O).

This text (from part of my Ka-50 guide which I haven't released yet) describes the Shkval uncage behavior:

Thank you - that clears up quite a bit and i'll put it in practice.

Any light you can shed on my comm predicament.

Thank you - that clears up quite a bit and i'll put it in practice.

Any light you can shed on my comm predicament.

Sorry, nothing comes to mind. I have some Ka-50 time scheduled tonight, so maybe I'll give it a try and see if I can turn anything up.

Many Words - Serial Fiction | Ka-50 Employment Guide | Ka-50 Avionics Cheat Sheet | Multiplayer Shooting Range Mission

Sorry, nothing comes to mind. I have some Ka-50 time scheduled tonight, so maybe I'll give it a try and see if I can turn anything up.

I pressed Ralt+\ and that brings up a similar menu except it says R800 at the top. If I press \, it says Auto at the top.

Still not working.

Re locking on the Abris data points. I selected the point (flashing), reset (BS) and then pressed O - the shkval is not auto locking to target.

(I don't have anything selected in PVI nor have the HMS activated.)

Edited by erjdriver

Trying out this mission and at the beginning it says to communicate with other members - nothing happens.

I've enabled all required switches - freq is 124.0

Not sure which mission you are using, I am assuming BIGFOOTMSR interactive training for datalink, just run it here and all works as expected.

Check that:

• Your not running any MODS that my cause issues (Do a DCS repair to put back in to defaul install.
  • You may have to load up mission in mission editor and resave to bring up to current version of DCS (can fix some radio issues)
  • Transmission Frequency is definitely 124.000 mhz (Not 127.000 or 127.500 mhz)
  • Set the Datalink Self-ID to 1 (Commander or lead)
  • Set the Master Mode to (Comm) for (Commander or Lead)
  • Don't use Easy Comms Mode and shouldn't be able to use / for radio, except on the ground (Have found to be faulty in the past)
  • Must be using Ralt-\ for SPU-9 PTT for using radio call to wingman

Procedure:

1. Have Chopper in the air and fully powered up correctly
  2. Must be within 150km and have line of sight to wingman
  3. Turn on Shkval and Laser
  4. Find and Lock target
  5. Datalink [2],[3],[4] Button and then Datalink [send/Mem] Button
  6. If Datalink lights goes out then the wingman has recieved the transmission, if not it will blink.
  7. Get wingman to act on the data, ie attack it
  8. [Ralt]+[\] to Open Radio Menu (Should say R-800) on top of menu
  9. [F2] Wingman 2
  10. [F1] Engage
  11. [F8] Datalink
  12. [F1] Target

Regards, Ian.

• Like 1

Asus p877v-pro, Intel I7 3770k 4.2ghz, 32gb Ripjaw X ram, Nvidia RTX-2070 Super, Samsung 32" TV, Saitek x52 pro Joystick and Combat rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Win8.1 x64 with SSD and SSHD protected by (Avast AV).

DCS Tech Support.

Ding ding ding!

Problem fixed.

I'm playing the standard training mission w/ no add-ons.

But on reading your email - I copied it to my-missions folder and ran from there - worked fine.

Thank you very much - now I can move forward.

Have you solved your slewing-to-datalink problem?

No I haven't.

I have the point blinking in the abris, press reset (backspace) - reenabled a2g and turn2target and then pressed O.

nothing - except i think the shkval goes into scanmode (maybe that happens the 2nd time i press O)

Nothing selected on the PVI and HMS is stored.

I assume if working correctly, the heli should turn to the target and the shkval should be pre-locked on to the target.

But I haven't tried it since I got the comm to work. I will try later and report.

Thanks for the follow-up.

Edited by erjdriver

Huh. That seems like it should be sufficient. You might try uncaging before enabling ground moving target mode (note: it doesn't have to be enabled for ground targets—IIRC, the only thing it does is adjust the Vikhr guidance to lead the target instead of fly directly at it) and auto turn to target, but I wouldn't expect that to change it.

If it still doesn't work, feel free to post a track, and I can have a look at it.

Huh. That seems like it should be sufficient. You might try uncaging before enabling ground moving target mode (note: it doesn't have to be enabled for ground targets—IIRC, the only thing it does is adjust the Vikhr guidance to lead the target instead of fly directly at it) and auto turn to target, but I wouldn't expect that to change it.

If it still doesn't work, feel free to post a track, and I can have a look at it.

Here's the track file

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/GpC-moB8v7QFl9JBAzcH_7tmVkPVKZezoTf7xP1ZCdU

I lock and save a target, then I change my heading.

Select the target from Abris and try to lock on it.

Aha! You've missed a step. After selecting the target and verifying it on the ABRIS, hit the DL INGRESS button on the overhead datalink panel. As long as the DL INGRESS button light is active, the datalink point will be the targeting and navigational reference. Hit the DL INGRESS button again to turn off ingress mode.

• Like 1

Aha! You've missed a step. After selecting the target and verifying it on the ABRIS, hit the DL INGRESS button on the overhead datalink panel. As long as the DL INGRESS button light is active, the datalink point will be the targeting and navigational reference. Hit the DL INGRESS button again to turn off ingress mode.

I look forward to trying it later.

I'm sure you'll add that critical step to your instruction booklet.

Yup--the section I posted is just about order and priority of targeting references. The datalink section will have the full procedure.

Thanks - it's starting to work.

As a software guy, I must say the sequences you have to go thru are just not user friendly. Up prt pressing weird sequences - down verify with the abris - up prt send etc. Same button doing different things in different context.

Then requiring caging of shkval. you're looking at the target and now you have to lose lock and reset shkval - just because you want to store the data point? You reset - now you have to repress buttons, select weapons. seriously?

Then the abris not talking to the pvi - crazy. different default coordinate system.

Not complaining...just saying.

The Ka-50 is a deeply idiosyncratic aircraft, it's true--I found myself saying, "Really? *That's* how it works?" an awful lot while I was learning it. Some of it has to do with the Ka-50's prototype status, I think--they might have cleaned it up a little if it had ever gone into production. Some has to do with Russian design philosophy at the time, which was not heavily based on making sense. (In a way, I guess, the 1980s were Russia developing its philosophy of how aircraft with automation and computerized systems ought to be laid out. I suspect it's better for more modern things. Unlike the A-10C, the Ka-50 was one of the first of its kind in its homeland.)

For all its weirdness, though, it remains my favorite DCS aircraft because of how effectively the automation eases pilot workload. It's certainly a pain to learn and to get comfortable with, but it works.

• 4 weeks later...

What exactly was the fix for this?

I have all the switches turned on as per instructions. Frequency is set to 124.000

Using \ brings up the AUTO comms menu. Text is solid white, not grey. Pressing anything doesn't make my pilot talk, and no response.

Using Ralt+\ brings up the R800 menu. Same here, nothing happens when I try to give a command.

I would think my pilot would at least say something either way?

What exactly was the fix for this?

I have all the switches turned on as per instructions. Frequency is set to 124.000

Using \ brings up the AUTO comms menu. Text is solid white, not grey. Pressing anything doesn't make my pilot talk, and no response.

Using Ralt+\ brings up the R800 menu. Same here, nothing happens when I try to give a command.

I would think my pilot would at least say something either way?

just review this thread - the solution is there.