Unrecoverable blackout

xaoslaad

Is the unrecoverable blackout in the Su-27 somehow realistic?

My friend and I were messing around trying to see where some of the limits with this thing are and one thing we noticed is that if you go into an inverted departure you black out and don't recover. You just fall to the ground and die.

The part that seems off is that you're doing 1, maybe 1.1 G lofting out of the sky, at least according to the external view, and you never recover from the blackout. You can't control anything and you eventually hit the ground without a hope.

If you're dead because you scrambled your brain shouldn't it go to external view like any other aircraft? If you blacked out, shouldn't you recover after some time at 1G?

My friend and I were messing around trying to see where some of the limits with this thing are and one thing we noticed is that if you go into an inverted departure you black out and don't recover. You just fall to the ground and die.

The part that seems off is that you're doing 1, maybe 1.1 G lofting out of the sky, at least according to the external view, and you never recover from the blackout. You can't control anything and you eventually hit the ground without a hope.

If you're dead because you scrambled your brain shouldn't it go to external view like any other aircraft? If you blacked out, shouldn't you recover after some time at 1G?

Not necessarily realistic but, rather, something of a compromise: Negative G Blackout

Rich

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

The Su-33 and Mig-29 are more real than the new catastrophic PFM for Su-27. Change the aircraft and enjoy DCS

Well, we were doing OK after even just a short time. We figured out how not to get into those inverted departures and just don't push the nose down like that. However, neither one of us is experienced with the aircraft and we started messing around trying to do Cobra's and what not. At our skill level with the aircraft it's not surprising we ended up splattered. My only confusion was how at 1G we were still blacked out, but if we flat knocked ourselves out doing extremely hard maneuvers I guess it is what it is.

The part that seems off is that you're doing 1, maybe 1.1 G lofting out of the sky, at least according to the external view,

May or may no apply here, but keep in mind that the external g is for the aircraft. The pilot might feel additional g loads from rotation. Example, roll really fast and the plane might not feel much different from 1 g flight, but the pilot will be accelerating in a tight circle and may black out.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

As far as I could tell there was no significant spin. I can reproduce it later and look in tac view. I dont know how many G's initiated the black out, but knocking off ASC in super sonic flight probably isn't the smartest thing to do...

Negative Gs are different. In real life very little exists that will counteract them, and the normal human maximum is somewhere in the -3G range. While it's rare but not unheard of for people hung upside down (-1G) for long periods of time to lose consciousness and die.

So in DCS when the Su-27 noses over into a -9G departure because you hit the ASC key you're already in for a long nap if not a fatal stroke, while the sustained -1G as your plane coasts to the ground upside-down delays your recovery indefinitely. This is probably close enough to reality.