Notices

Old 03-21-2015, 02:46 AM   #1
Cobra847
3rd Party Developer

Reputation power: 36
Cobra847 is a name known to allCobra847 is a name known to allCobra847 is a name known to allCobra847 is a name known to allCobra847 is a name known to allCobra847 is a name known to allCobra847 is a name known to allCobra847 is a name known to allCobra847 is a name known to allCobra847 is a name known to allCobra847 is a name known to all
Send a message via Skype™ to Cobra847
Default F-14A/B DEVELOPMENT UPDATE #1 – 21/03/2015

Dear All,

First off, thank you all for your kind words of support and positive attitude to our announcement.
It is a great motivator to put in those long hours when you know you've got such a great community behind you.
Sincere gratitude from the entire team. Also a big thank you to those of you who have gone above and beyond to spread the news of our announcement.
While it's still relatively early in the development process, it's good to get some awareness out there right off the bat.

We've been kind of quiet lately, but not to worry; it is simply an effect of the large workload placed on each and every member of the team.
Ambitious plans require hard work and much of our focus lies on attaining planned development sprints.

Unfortunately, a byproduct of this is that many of your questions about the F-14 have gone unanswered. I've been gathering many of these and they will be answered in the FAQ section of our new F-14 site section coming next week.
Therein you will also find a lot of information on various features of the aircraft and our design goals for e.g. JESTER AI.

We're due for a monthly update, which will have some information about other developments and the MiG-21.
Thus, I'll be keeping this F-14 specific update fairly short.

Art Development

We're now essentially feature complete on both exterior and interior models for the F-14, including the majority of integration work and animations.
Thus, preparatory work for diffuse, specular and normal map texture creation has begun.

With the F-14, we're pioneering several new techniques based on the tried-and-tested industry standard sculpting and baking workflow.
We've already put this to good use for our other unreleased, in development aircraft, but we're hoping to take it that one step further for the F-14.
We hope we can further enhance the realism of both our exterior and interior textures and the initial results are very promising.

It's very exciting for us as artists to have the opportunity to apply years of accumulated knowledge to a project such as the F-14. We hope to capture every minutiae detail, down to the touched up lumps of paint.

Something many of you have concerns about is performance. We're taking a very pro-active stance on ensuring that performance is optimal at release this time around.
We very much wish to ensure that the F-14 will perfectly on the vast majority of systems, and approaching things more carefully from the beginning will make it easier for us to make adjustments in the future.

Attached below you can see some Work in Progress renders of the cockpit.
Do note that these images have flaws, so take them with a few pinches of salt.

Codebase Development

Not counting the Radar and HUD (two big systems in themselves), the Tomcat contains, by our count, roughly 67 Major systems, of which 37 are related to Flight and Flight Controls.
In addition to this, one must take into account the size and difficulty of both the JESTER AI system and the External Flight Model. Noting that the F-14 is a massively difficult undertaking is putting it mildly.

Currently, heavy focus lies on creation of the AICS (Inlet Control System), Hydraulic System and Electrical System.
These systems, together with the Engine and grouped control systems lay the basis for the construction of the swing-wing EFM that will capture the spirit and real performance of the F-14.

There is yet a long road ahead, and many difficult tasks to complete, but we have absolutely no reservations about our capabilities nor our choice of aircraft.

We look forward to sharing more progress with you soon.
Thank you for your support,

Sincerely,
Leatherneck Simulations

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CockpitRender5.png
Views:	9626
Size:	3.89 MB
ID:	115296   Click image for larger version

Name:	renderconcept.png
Views:	6844
Size:	3.34 MB
ID:	115297   Click image for larger version

Name:	CockpitRender4.png
Views:	6456
Size:	3.56 MB
ID:	115298  

Name:	CockpitRender7.png
Views:	10820
Size:	3.32 MB
ID:	115299   Click image for larger version

Name:	CockpitRender8.png
Views:	4928
Size:	3.43 MB
ID:	115300   Click image for larger version

Name:	CockpitRender9.png
Views:	5379
Size:	3.37 MB
ID:	115301  

Name:	CockpitRender11.png
Views:	4415
Size:	3.51 MB
ID:	115302   Click image for larger version

Name:	CockpitRender2.png
Views:	4388
Size:	3.86 MB
ID:	115303   Click image for larger version

Name:	CockpitRender6.png
Views:	4886
Size:	3.47 MB
ID:	115305  

Name:	CockpitRender12.png
Views:	4438
Size:	3.41 MB
ID:	115307  

Delaymeister
Leatherneck Simulations

Last edited by Cobra847; 03-21-2015 at 02:51 AM.
Cobra847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 02:51 AM   #2
Grundar

Reputation power: 2
Grundar will become famous soon enoughGrundar will become famous soon enoughGrundar will become famous soon enoughGrundar will become famous soon enough

It's beautiful, those renders are fantastic. Great to see the pride you guys are taking in this project. Mig-21bis was a beautiful study in detail, I can imagine this will be gifted just as much, if not more love.

Top shelf work so far guys!
Grundar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 02:53 AM   #3
Pizzicato

Reputation power: 16
Pizzicato is just really nicePizzicato is just really nicePizzicato is just really nicePizzicato is just really nicePizzicato is just really nicePizzicato is just really nicePizzicato is just really nicePizzicato is just really nicePizzicato is just really nice

Exciting stuff and the model's looking great!

Thanks for the comprehensive update, Cobra.
Old 03-21-2015, 02:55 AM   #4
Greekbull

Reputation power: 2
Greekbull will become famous soon enoughGreekbull will become famous soon enoughGreekbull will become famous soon enoughGreekbull will become famous soon enough

Awesome thanks for the update! Can't wait!
i7 4790K @ 4.9Ghz I ASUS Z97-A I 32GB 1866 RAM I SLI 2 x EVGA GTX 970 4GB SSC I Cooler Master Hyper 612 Ver2 I Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas I 4K 50" main monitor I 27" Touchscreen W/Helios I Saitek Pro Combat Pedals I TrackIR 5 W/ Track Clip Pro I Oculus Rift CV1
Greekbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 02:55 AM   #5
SmokeyTheLung

Reputation power: 16
SmokeyTheLung is just really niceSmokeyTheLung is just really niceSmokeyTheLung is just really niceSmokeyTheLung is just really niceSmokeyTheLung is just really niceSmokeyTheLung is just really niceSmokeyTheLung is just really niceSmokeyTheLung is just really niceSmokeyTheLung is just really nice

sweet!
Old 03-21-2015, 03:04 AM   #6
OilcanHarry

Reputation power: 0
OilcanHarry is on a distinguished road

That is totttttaly immmmpressive, really looking forward to following the progress to the finish line of this beauty. Thank you and your team for the time and effort you are putting into this. First day buy for me.
OilcanHarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 03:05 AM   #7
SkateZilla
Moderator/ED Testers Team

Reputation power: 66
SkateZilla is a splendid one to beholdSkateZilla is a splendid one to beholdSkateZilla is a splendid one to beholdSkateZilla is a splendid one to beholdSkateZilla is a splendid one to beholdSkateZilla is a splendid one to beholdSkateZilla is a splendid one to beholdSkateZilla is a splendid one to beholdSkateZilla is a splendid one to beholdSkateZilla is a splendid one to beholdSkateZilla is a splendid one to beholdSkateZilla is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via Skype™ to SkateZilla

Guessin' this is A/early B as there is no HUD Glass (projected onto Windscreen)?
TM Warthog HOTAS, TM MFDs, CH Fighterstick, Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals, TrackIR4 Pro
SkateZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 03:21 AM   #8
SilentGun

Reputation power: 8
SilentGun is just really niceSilentGun is just really niceSilentGun is just really niceSilentGun is just really niceSilentGun is just really niceSilentGun is just really niceSilentGun is just really niceSilentGun is just really nice

THIS LOOKS AMAZING!!! I just got my hype again
One day in DCS... Vipers will fly along side Tomcats... Bugs with Superbugs, Tiffy's with Tornado's, Fulcrums with Flankers and Mirage with Rafales...
The Future of DCS is a bright one
SilentGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 03:23 AM   #9
uboats
ED Translator / Moderator

Reputation power: 23
uboats is a glorious beacon of lightuboats is a glorious beacon of lightuboats is a glorious beacon of lightuboats is a glorious beacon of lightuboats is a glorious beacon of lightuboats is a glorious beacon of lightuboats is a glorious beacon of lightuboats is a glorious beacon of lightuboats is a glorious beacon of lightuboats is a glorious beacon of light

bravo!!!!
another great update!

mig-21 model has brought us a 3rd-party standard which has been further enhanced by this f-14 wip pit

My DCS Mods, Skins, Utilities, Scripts, etc

| Windows 10 | i7-4790K | Geforce 980Ti Hybrid | 32GB RAM | 500GB SSD + 1TB HDD |
| TM Warthog Stick | CH Pro Throttle + Pro Pedal | TIR5 Pro | TM MFD Cougar | Gun Camera: PrtScn |

Last edited by uboats; 03-21-2015 at 03:28 AM.
uboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 03:25 AM   #10
phant

Reputation power: 20
phant is just really nicephant is just really nicephant is just really nicephant is just really nicephant is just really nicephant is just really nicephant is just really nicephant is just really nicephant is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkateZilla View Post

Guessin' this is A/early B as there is no HUD Glass (projected onto Windscreen)?
Maybe i'm wrong but only D version mounted traditional-glass-Hud.

Bye
Phant