A reminder of the challenges

As a fixed wing pilot, the challenges of RSV and transitional flight have never concerned me at work. However, since flying the Mi-8 in DCS World, I've come to have great respect for the additional challenges of flying these machines. If you haven't already seen it, the link below demonstrates rather graphically the perils of critical transitional phases of flight. Clearly, I do not wish to speculate on the precise cause of the accident, however, there are a number of factors which are clearly visible on the footage. Though RSV may not have been the initial factor, a number of very experienced rotary SAR colleagues have expressed an opinion that it may have been a contributory factor.

I should warn you that it contains quite graphic images of a recent accident, so don't watch it if you may be upset by it.

I have posted this for informational purposes because we are all interested in aviation. I gather the investigation is still on going, so please be respectful if you comment. Condolences to those affected by this accident.

CPU: Intel i9 13900KS @5.8GHz | MB: ROG Strix Z790 Gaming-E | GPU: Asus ROG Strix RTX3090 OC | RAM: 32Gb Corsair Dominator DDR5 @6200MHz | Cooling: Custom CPU/GPU cooling loop | PSU: Supernova 850G2 @ 850W | OS: Windows 10 Home Premium 64Bit
Storage: 3x Samsung EVO 970 Plus M.2 1Tb + 3x Samsung 850 EVO SSD 250Gb | Input: TM HOTAS WH Saitek Combat Pedals | Output: Samsung 50" OLED TV | VR: HP Reverb G2 | Audio: Realtek + Z906 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker System

Check this video out. I watched it after the one posted by Chief Instructor. I seriously though the Mi-8 had suffered a control input failure when I initially started watching this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7MUFgYYrNc

Good lord, He's flying it like he's just been told he has days to live! It shows what these things can do in the 'right' hands I guess. Good find.

CPU: Intel i9 13900KS @5.8GHz | MB: ROG Strix Z790 Gaming-E | GPU: Asus ROG Strix RTX3090 OC | RAM: 32Gb Corsair Dominator DDR5 @6200MHz | Cooling: Custom CPU/GPU cooling loop | PSU: Supernova 850G2 @ 850W | OS: Windows 10 Home Premium 64Bit
Storage: 3x Samsung EVO 970 Plus M.2 1Tb + 3x Samsung 850 EVO SSD 250Gb | Input: TM HOTAS WH Saitek Combat Pedals | Output: Samsung 50" OLED TV | VR: HP Reverb G2 | Audio: Realtek + Z906 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker System

Check this video out. I watched it after the one posted by Chief Instructor. I seriously though the Mi-8 had suffered a control input failure when I initially started watching this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bopq52ncaBk

As a fixed wing pilot, the challenges of RSV and transitional flight have never concerned me at work. However, since flying the Mi-8 in DCS World, I've come to have great respect for the additional challenges of flying these machines.

Terrible crash! hope the crew survived! Wonder what his v/s was when he hit the ground & if the heavy bounce was a factor of inertia or to much power applied? This looks very familiar to some of mine sim-crashes.

i7 8700k@4.7, 1080ti, DDR4 32GB, 2x SSD , HD 2TB, W10, ASUS 27", TrackIr5, TMWH, X-56, GProR.

• 1 month later...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7MUFgYYrNc

This moron should have his license revoked and thrown in jail..

PERIOD

It would have been stupid enough doing that in a field somewhere, but that close to other planes / buildings is absolutely asinine..

Edited by outlawal2

"Pride is a poor substitute for intelligence."

RAMBO

Bro are you flying this Mi-8 in DCS World? Well if this is you then you have some extreme skills. Nice flying

Win10, Intel 3rd Gen. Core i7 3.8Ghz, 20GB ram, Nvidia Geforce 1060 6GB Opentrack (Download it from HERE), PS3 Eye, Saitek x52-pro Joystick,

DIY Rudder Pedals,

Google Cardboard with DCS World

English is not my native language

This moron should have his license revoked and thrown in jail..

PERIOD

It would have been stupid enough doing that in a field somewhere, but that close to other planes / buildings is absolutely asinine..

Well same thoughts. It should be somewhere other place than in b/w planes. When i was watching this video i thought it will collide with other jet/plane etc.

Win10, Intel 3rd Gen. Core i7 3.8Ghz, 20GB ram, Nvidia Geforce 1060 6GB Opentrack (Download it from HERE), PS3 Eye, Saitek x52-pro Joystick,

DIY Rudder Pedals,

Google Cardboard with DCS World

English is not my native language

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
Bro are you flying this Mi-8 in DCS World? Well if this is you then you have some extreme skills. Nice flying

Sorry for the late answer, just happen to see your quote!

NO it's definitely not me flying..... you're right this bloke does have some extreme flying skills :thumbup:

i7 8700k@4.7, 1080ti, DDR4 32GB, 2x SSD , HD 2TB, W10, ASUS 27", TrackIr5, TMWH, X-56, GProR.

In the other hand, the Peruvian pilot performed very dangerous maneuvers but within the flight envelope.

Wasn't that actually a RUSSIAN test pilot showing the capabilities of the chopper for the South American (gov) customers? Thus that display was sanctioned by the government with all permits.

Terrible crash! hope the crew survived!

They didn't. :( According to description 2 dead and only 1 alive. RIP

looks like he entered vortex by rearward cancellation.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.