Notices

Old 10-26-2014, 11:27 AM   #1
Kenta

Reputation power: 5
Kenta is on a distinguished road
Default Nvidia DSR and DCS

Hey peeps!

Just tried out DSR (Dynamic super resolution) in DCS and I must say I'm impressed.
I use a 21:9 2560x1080 monitor and a GTX 680 GPU.

I upped the resolution to 3620x1527 and tested out visibility.

Put myself on a runway in a Ka-50 and 5 other Ka-50s 500m from the ground. They were 16km, 18km, 20km, 22km and 24km away. While using MAX default FOV I could see all 5 Ka-50s on the 3620x1527 resolution. On the default resolution, I saw only 3, up to 20km away.

Upon further testing. It was a lot easier spotting ground targets in the Ka-50 + I did a P-51D vs Dora dogfight. Without using any FOV zoom. I didn't have any problem spotting and tracking him, it was even easier to track him when he was masked by the terrain.

On the downside, using my settings, The FPS were around 30, max 50 and never dropping below 20, not the best, but playable.

Anyone tried this out yet? What do you guys think?
Kenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 12:20 PM   #2
T_A

Reputation power: 3
T_A will become famous soon enoughT_A will become famous soon enoughT_A will become famous soon enough

But what is your native screen resolution ?
Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7,G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3000Mhz
Gigabyte GTX 980 OC
Samsung 840EVO 250GB SSD (OS + DCS)
Asus MG279Q | TM Warthog + Saitek Combat Pedals + TrackIR 5
T_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 12:31 PM   #3
chromium
3rd Party Developer

Reputation power: 19
chromium is just really nicechromium is just really nicechromium is just really nicechromium is just really nicechromium is just really nicechromium is just really nicechromium is just really nicechromium is just really nicechromium is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenta View Post
I use a 21:9 2560x1080 monitor and a GTX 680 GPU.

Really interesting test. I use a 1920x1080, I'll try next week
The thing is, helicopters are different from planes. An airplane by it's nature wants to fly, and if not interfered with too strongly by unusual events or by a deliberately incompetent pilot, it will fly. A helicopter does not want to fly. It is maintained in the air by a variety of forces in opposition to each other, and if there is any disturbance in this delicate balance the helicopter stops flying; immediately and disastrously.
chromium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 12:51 PM   #4
T_A

T_A will become famous soon enoughT_A will become famous soon enoughT_A will become famous soon enough

so just to make sure i got it straight , is the OP saying that he increased the resolution , then it was scaled back to native and it gave him better spotting distance?
Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7,G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3000Mhz
Gigabyte GTX 980 OC
Samsung 840EVO 250GB SSD (OS + DCS)
Asus MG279Q | TM Warthog + Saitek Combat Pedals + TrackIR 5
T_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 12:54 PM   #5
Ganesh

Reputation power: 6
Ganesh will become famous soon enoughGanesh will become famous soon enoughGanesh will become famous soon enoughGanesh will become famous soon enough

Good report & great news Kenta
Will definitely use this when i have one of the new Nvidia GPUs
I use also a 21:9 (by your recommendation) as you know

waiting for BO-105 PAH1A1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
W7 - Asus Z97Pro - 4790K - 16GB 2400 DDR3 - EVGA 780ti SC WHQL 347.52 - TrackIR 4 - Saitek Rudder - TM Warthog HOTAS - MSSWFFB2 - Dell 21:9 @2560x1080
Ganesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 01:10 PM   #6
rcjonessnp175+
Banned

Reputation power: 9
rcjonessnp175 is a jewel in the roughrcjonessnp175 is a jewel in the roughrcjonessnp175 is a jewel in the roughrcjonessnp175 is a jewel in the roughrcjonessnp175 is a jewel in the roughrcjonessnp175 is a jewel in the roughrcjonessnp175 is a jewel in the rough

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/tech...dsr/technology

That should set you straight and the short answer is yes you will see more details for example other aircraft in the sky are drawn in moooooooor better. Just realize you need beast gpus to do this
rcjonessnp175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 04:29 PM   #7
AtaliaA1

Reputation power: 14
AtaliaA1 is just really niceAtaliaA1 is just really niceAtaliaA1 is just really niceAtaliaA1 is just really niceAtaliaA1 is just really niceAtaliaA1 is just really niceAtaliaA1 is just really niceAtaliaA1 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjonessnp175 View Post
http://www.geforce.com/hardware/tech...dsr/technology

That should set you straight and the short answer is yes you will see more details for example other aircraft in the sky are drawn in moooooooor better. Just realize you need beast gpus to do this

Absolutely Correct!!!

This is the best thing that's come to DCS sense the announcement of the new image generator (Soon to Be a part of DCS).

I noticed immediate higher graphics quality in game. The MFCDs display a largely improved image quality. I can't get over the quality of the Targeting Pod now. out standing. I can see incoming missile from further away now also allowing greater Situation Awareness for sure. Exciting times for DCS and Nvidia users.
This was a Boutique Builder iBuypower rig. Until I got the tinker bug again i7 920 @3.6Mhz 12Gig Corsair XMS3 ram 1600 Nvidia 760 SLi w/4Gig DDR5 Ram Intel 310 SSD HDD 160 Gb + Western Digital 4Terabyte HDD Creative SB X-Fi HD Audio Logitech X-530 5.1 Surround Speaker System Dual Acer 32"Monitors. PSU 1200 w Thermaltake Win10 64Bit.
AtaliaA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 04:35 PM   #8
Dudester22

Reputation power: 0
Dudester22 can only hope to improveDudester22 can only hope to improveDudester22 can only hope to improve

I thought DSR had to be added before it could work? I cannot find the list of games it is supposed to work with but there was no mention of DCS? So do the games need to be added or not? I'm a bit confused after reading they did need adding.
Dudester22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 04:52 PM   #9
CookPassBabtridge

CookPassBabtridge is on a distinguished roadCookPassBabtridge is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudester22 View Post
I thought DSR had to be added before it could work? I cannot find the list of games it is supposed to work with but there was no mention of DCS? So do the games need to be added or not? I'm a bit confused after reading they did need adding.
Apparently you dont enable it, all it does is add extra resolution options in game. You select one of them and DSR basically fools the game into thinking you are using a higher res screen, and downscales it to what you are actually using.

I LIKE TO PLAY
PRODIGAL WOMBAT STIMULATOR
CookPassBabtridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 05:00 PM   #10
Random

Reputation power: 6
Random has a spectacular aura aboutRandom has a spectacular aura aboutRandom has a spectacular aura aboutRandom has a spectacular aura aboutRandom has a spectacular aura about

Dont seem able to find any options for DSR and DCS. Can't increase resolution in game past 1920x1080. Where am I supposed to be looking?
Random is offline   Reply With Quote