F4 Phantom

lele737

Nice job so far, but what is that green thing sticking out from the wing? I cant recall ever seeing that on a Phantom. (but what do I know?)

DCS: F-4E really needs to be a thing!!!!!!

Aircraft: A-10C, Ka-50, UH-1H, MiG-21, F-15C, Su-27, MiG-29, A-10A, Su-25, Su-25T, TF-51

Nice job so far, but what is that green thing sticking out from the wing? I cant recall ever seeing that on a Phantom. (but what do I know?)

It was in the earlier versions of some F-4.It had something to do with the lock of the enemy plane,but i can't recall how it was named.It was used in combination with the old HUds (when they had only the piper,and not as we know them today,like the HUD of the F-86 and Mig-21 for example)

The phantoms that had them were called F-4 SRA.

*i served 8 years as a crew chief at F-4E:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Lock-On Greece / DCS World Greece http://lockon-greece.forumotion.net/

🇬🇷 1st Hellinic Virtual Squadron for Flaming Cliffs & DCS World
~ Flying since 2008 ~

Very nice so far. What time it took to get from scratch to this point?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

thank you for the nice replies, for the low poly i planned to add a turbosmooth and in case make some correction to the uw map. Just an example for the air intake

Well, i'm glad there's another person here(excepting me) who's using turbosmooth. My technique is to add the unwrapp uvw modifier after the turbosmooth, therefore i have a problem in managing the polygon selection. I tried to add the turbosmooth modifier after unwrapp too but it deformed it. How do you correct those deformations easily?

Hi all, from my knowledge abut the F4 the cylinder that came out from the right wing leading edge is the TISEO, a optical sensor like the AGM65 Maverik head sensor. A enhanced camera that help for the target acquisition. I see this device on the USAF F4E. The earlier Phantom device is positioned under the nose cone and was an IRST that pick uo the infra red signal.

So the model here is not correct because the german F4E does't have this device, i will remove it :music_whistling:

The time the this baby has required until now is about 2 months, i spent a lot for the panel line and still are no perfect :doh:

turbosmooth does not double or tripple the count, nope they quadrify, which means, each poly is cut into 4 new polygons. thats how turbosmooth subdivides the geometry.

and you can use turbosmooth, as soon you know what you are doing and know exactly what it does to your mesh. if you know what it does, you know what to do !

you can alo use subdevision in you editable polygon sidebar, but what you have to do is, like with turbosmooth too, you have to make it an editable poly in the end to keep the mesh smoothed for the game with such an high ammount, IF needed, cause the engine does not know the stacks you make.

i hope this helped you a bit. there are even a few other tricks you can use for modelling a plane for dcs, but i guess i figured them allready :-)

@john_x: yes thats true to some extend. what you need and is more mendatory then knowing how turbo and co work, is an eye for detail and understanding of forms and functions.

i have seen good guys do bad models, cause they lack of the eye :-), like right now.

I am reworking a cockpit, cause the guys who started, lacked of the eye for detail and form. so well, thats how the cocky crumbles and it is not enough to just take the blueprints or layouts of a cockpit and start modelling.

@lele:

well you start looks good so far. not perfect but good.

i would suggest, if you really want to succeed with the f4, to finish the external first and then go for the cockpit, cause then you have a good startingpoint for your cockpit. i visited a museum yesterday and had the possibility to take a very very close look at a cockpit of the phantom. try to get very good references, cause i figured yesterday, what that cockpit really feels like looking at a real one and you get good impressions on wehat the positions and forms really are

Hi all,

another little update, the instruments layout is still an experiment, in my mind i want make an F4-F version, some panels are from the Royal Navy (FGR1/2) variant. I'm looking for a good photo reference, please if some one has a good and very clear panel pic for the -F variant would be appreciated.

Bye bye

1680911047_Senzatitolo-1copia.thumb.JPG.8cc0edb8e83d9d251df748140d13a3cf.JPG