Notices

Old 07-31-2014, 10:15 PM   #31
Hempstead

Reputation power: 3
Hempstead will become famous soon enoughHempstead will become famous soon enoughHempstead will become famous soon enoughHempstead will become famous soon enough
Default Pre-Configured File Sets

From now on, Hempstick will come with sets of pre-configured configuration files.

It will be located in src/config/..., for instance, src/config/Cougar/. You just pick the set you want, copy all the files in there to src/config/ overwriting whatever is there and compile and burn the firmware.

If you have a set that you wish to contribute and share with others, please let me know, I will put it up to the official release.
Hempstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 11:56 PM   #32
Hempstead

Hempstead will become famous soon enoughHempstead will become famous soon enoughHempstead will become famous soon enoughHempstead will become famous soon enough
Default On Resolution

Here's an article I just wrote about controller resolution... http://www.hempstick.org/download/ar...Resolution.pdf.

In view of so much interests in the pursuit of higher and higher resolution, I attempt to rationalize why I limit the resolution of Hempstick to 14bit. And to, again, dispute the 16bit resolution myth of the Warthog (damn it, this thing just won't go away!).

You be the judge.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:30 AM   #33
Bucic
Veteran

Reputation power: 170
Bucic has much to be proud ofBucic has much to be proud ofBucic has much to be proud ofBucic has much to be proud ofBucic has much to be proud ofBucic has much to be proud ofBucic has much to be proud ofBucic has much to be proud ofBucic has much to be proud ofBucic has much to be proud ofBucic has much to be proud ofBucic has much to be proud ofBucic has much to be proud of
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hempstead View Post
Here's an article I just wrote about controller resolution... http://www.hempstick.org/download/ar...Resolution.pdf.

In view of so much interests in the pursuit of higher and higher resolution, I attempt to rationalize why I limit the resolution of Hempstick to 14bit. And to, again, dispute the 16bit resolution myth of the Warthog (damn it, this thing just won't go away!).

You be the judge.
Thank you for making an effort to counter the marketing bollocks.

A question. Bloatware is no good but some people find vendor programming software useful. Do you plan on introducing such software for Hempstick? A simple keyboard emulator maybe?

Last edited by Bucic; 08-05-2014 at 12:19 PM.
Bucic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 01:00 PM   #34
icemaker

Reputation power: 13
icemaker is just really niceicemaker is just really niceicemaker is just really niceicemaker is just really niceicemaker is just really niceicemaker is just really niceicemaker is just really niceicemaker is just really nice

Interesting project!
Do you plan to make it compatible with ATMEGA16U2 Chips like in ATMEGA 2560 boards?
I dont understand the 32 buttons limitation you have. I actually use ATMEGA Boards where i can wire up to 256 buttons (2x 128 Buttons Joysticks) and it works smooth on DCS.
icemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 01:33 PM   #35
Hempstead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucic View Post
Thank you for making an effort to counter the marketing bollocks.

A question. Bloatware is no good but some people find vendor programming software useful. Do you plan on introducing such software for Hempstick? A simple keyboard emulator maybe?

If it's just generating straight keystrokes, yes I will add that sometime in the future. It will just behave like a straight keyboard and you can use it to build a hell of a keyboard -- every key hooks up directly to an MCU pin, all hardware debounced, absolutely no matrix, thus absolutely no ghosting. But, unless you have a custom board, there are not enough pins brought out to build a full keyboard,

This is mainly intended for input like radio keypad input etc. I mean, you could use button for these, but if it's a keyboard, why not make it a keyboard.
Old 08-05-2014, 03:57 PM   #36
whartsell

Reputation power: 6
whartsell will become famous soon enoughwhartsell will become famous soon enoughwhartsell will become famous soon enoughwhartsell will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hempstead View Post
The Cougar Demo Project is completed.

The official announcement is here, http://www.hempstick.org/jforum/posts/list/0/14.page#28.

You can use Hempstick to convert your whole Cougar, a lot of wiring works. But you will end up having an up-to-date electronics.

Why?
  1. Hempstick does 1KHz USB report while Cougar does 100Hz.
  2. Hempstick's ADC is a 12bit hardware, software enhanced to 14bit while Cougar has a 10bit ADC
  3. You could use Target to program Hempstick converted Cougar.

I imagine this would be interesting for the F16 crowd, but probably not for others. Nevertheless, this demo project was really to demo how easy it is to use Hempstick to do the whole joystick.
did I read this correctly? A Hempstick modified Cougar can use TARGET? Fully? any Limitations? I have an old cougar in pieces and this would be a fun lil project
whartsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 04:30 PM   #37
Hempstead

Quote:
Originally Posted by whartsell View Post
did I read this correctly? A Hempstick modified Cougar can use TARGET? Fully? any Limitations? I have an old cougar in pieces and this would be a fun lil project
You read that right. I did that with my my Cougar-in-pieces too.

Of course there are limitations... there is no composite keyboard/mouse thing that Cougar does. You just get a bunch of buttons/axes that you can use inside TARGET and program them. But, that's all you need. You don't need those stinky virtual mouse/keyboard thing with TARGET. TARGET does that for you anyway.

You can't program Hempstick with Foxy either because I didn't implement any Cougar-specific settings like axis curving/button mapping thing that used to be stored on Cougar firmware. Why bother doing that anyway, it's a horrible way of doing things while you can do the same thing in TARGET. TM at least made a very good choice of moving this kind of stuff into TARGET instead of having it done in the firmware (both commercially and technically).

If you do embark on such a project. Let me know, I will help you produce a better mapping configuration so it's a lot easier to wire up (I use the ball of wires method, but it's possible to use a ribbon cable to make it neater and easier).
Old 08-05-2014, 04:49 PM   #38
Hempstead

However, let me give you a little warning about using Target with Hempstick.

Any USB firmware can do it, not just Hempstick. it's dead simple. No code modification needed.

If TM is unhappy about it, they can take it out anytime they wish. As somebody who makes a living out of programming, I fully respect their right to do whatever they wish with their software so I have no intention of circumventing that. Use it at your own risk.

However, if they want to take it out. They would have to do the followings.
1. Update Target.
2. Probably also update the drivers.
3. Update the firmware to match the driver change.

#2 & #3 above apply to all TARGET supported devices, including MFDs, Cougar, T.16000M.

So, as long as you don't update your TARGET and Driver... it will continue to work.

Now legality warning. It may be illegal to divulge how to make any non-TM-made controller to work with TARGET, due to DMCA. Although it may be perfectly legal to program Hempstick this way, it may violate your license agreement with TM for using TARGET in this manner. I am not a lawyer, but you have been warned.
Old 08-05-2014, 04:59 PM   #39
Hempstead

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemaker View Post
Interesting project!
Do you plan to make it compatible with ATMEGA16U2 Chips like in ATMEGA 2560 boards?
I dont understand the 32 buttons limitation you have. I actually use ATMEGA Boards where i can wire up to 256 buttons (2x 128 Buttons Joysticks) and it works smooth on DCS.

Absolutely no ATMegas! It defeats the whole purpose of using up-to-date electronics. ATMegas are too old as a joystick controller, so are a lot of the PIC MCUs used in today's joystick controllers. I wrote Hempstick mainly because I couldn't find one available on the market that is up-to-date and extendable. Why would I go backward?

As to 256 buttons... then I must ask this question. Why stop at 256? How about 1024, i.e. 8x composite joystick controller all in one physical controller? Is 1x 256 buttons controller better than 4x 64buttons $39 controllers? In what way?

To really understand why there is a limitation on how many buttons Hempstick is WILLING to handle, you have to understand event-based architecture Hempstick uses. I am writing an article about it right now that will explain why you don't want to use the old way of busy polling that everybody seems to be using, except a few newer ones. Hang tight.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:40 PM   #40
Milan MFG

Reputation power: 0
Milan MFG is on a distinguished roadMilan MFG is on a distinguished road

Hi Hempstead
We exchanged more than a few e-mails and opinions, but I just wanted to stop by and share my admiration to your project - in public :-)

Let's put my words in another context so users can understand :
If hempstick was released a year ago I would probably embrace it and develop firmware for MFG Crosswind together with Hempstead...that's how promising this thing looks :-)

Nice article on resolution too, good reading.
If it can make you feel better, I know warthog is NOT 16 bit stick :-)

I've just thrown a few words myself about sensor resolution, digital versus analog...sensor accuracy... to stop the hype about digital sensors. My words are ment for more general public without going too deep or nicely structured as yours :
http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.ph...e_#Post3990928
I hope you won't mind if I share a link to your document.

Subject that you described about resolution, or should I say only "scratched the surface" in your manual is truth :-)
I would say that your document on resolution also touch the subject of extracting more juice than sensor and ADC are capable of :-)...and could be useful to build up on top of my explanation :-)

However...I'll stress out a few things that you did not touch
Human performance of reaction within 100ms, or 200 ms...don't matter...is a performance delay BEFORE even reaching mechanical input which trigger sensor reading - and further delay in signal processing to simulator reaction. That's why it is important to keep electronics speedy, but 10 ms delay to windows output is truthly enough.
Why I say this...human reaction + signal delay...
If it's human 200 ms + 1 ms signal delay...or 200ms + 20ms...it makes some minor difference and can be noticed by virtual aces :-)

Pure Signal output speed to windows is not that critical. The way signal is processed can fool the end user and I belive that's what Warthog is all about.
In your document you assume that averaging takes place like...wait for a bunch of samples...then calculate and send...so it take sampling time
I can't reveal my code here but I'll give you a hint

When taking last sample from the sensor you DON'T WAIT for other samples...but get the juice for resolution based on the samples that were taken in the past.
Easy way to use it...is just like histogram... you retain high resolution as well as fast output ...but in the end...it's fooling...as value that is output to windows is calculated upon values in the past...( I belive it's warthog's way)
Better way to use this method is to make such equatation that more recent samples are more important than older samples...getting best of both worlds...require some juice from MCU...so put ARM to good use :-)
Even better way is to add some averaging and decimation for "each sample that count" in the process...get you greatest juice.

On top of that...since I only use 3x axis on pedals so I have cycles to spare...more than one calculation can be used...one for fast movements and one for fine movements...this get the best of both worlds in terms of reaction time, noise and resolution...again...a bit MCU intensive. I call it "adaptive FIR, Low pas, averaging and oversampling method"
Milan MFG is offline   Reply With Quote