Poll: What do you guys think about adding REALISTIC vehicles and infantry?

Chernaren Refugee

Poll: What do you guys think about adding REALISTIC vehicles and infantry?  

154 members have voted

1. 1. Poll: What do you guys think about adding REALISTIC vehicles and infantry?

• No, nothing but realistic aircraft.
    • Yes, but just realistic vehicles.
    • Yes, lets go for an Arma style world with infantry / vehicles.

Hey guys. I'm coming from the Armaverse, and after 10 years of happiness, I ( and many, many others ) are splitting paths with BI. They are just no longer any kind of military simulator. Their latest DLC is "Karts". Yeah, Go-Karts. We Arma types have been rudely awakened to the fact that the game has its sights firmly set on being the next COD / Counter-Strike clone ( with Go-Karts and Goat simulators!). Complete with tiny DLC ( think Arma:M40 Rifle with Scope $15, $3 more for Crazy Kapitalist Mouse skin! ) and micro-transactions. :doh:

If you guys are looking for more players, we're looking for a new engine. Hope to see vehicle and infantry simulation in your future.

Edit: Combined Arms is just not what were looking for.

And thanks for your opinions!

Edited by Chernaren Refugee

Hey,

would be okay if a new 3rd party dev (maybe with already experience in vehicle simulation) wants to start work on this.

But never every directly from ED - there are still so much open points (EDGE, F/A-18,...) missing so a vehicle simulator would be one of the last thing DCS really needs.

Didn't ARMA 3 Karts start off as an April Fools joke that only got made because so many people actually wanted it to happen?

Eagle Dynamics has way too many projects (EDGE, Su-27 PFM, F-18C module, F-15C systems modelling) and bug fixes to attend to for them to have the time for overhauling vehicles and infantry, and I hope they don't because they couldn't possibly beat ARMA 3 in that aspect.

DCS is so far from being a replacement for ARMA, or even capable of attempting it, that you had better be ready to wait another ten years.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Didn't ARMA 3 Karts start off as an April Fools joke that only got made because so many people actually wanted it to happen?

Yeah, the MAINSTREAM INVADERS who want the next COD and roleplaying wanted it. Only a handful of people play vanilla A3 now, and the ACE team has quit in frustration. So, no more good ACE mods. And that was the only large semi-realistic mod there was. BI now listens only to the COD / RPG / Zombie types. People that have been with them longer than me and have thousands of posts are being totally ignored in order to get the rich kiddies and their money in. I can see their business point, but just totally ignoring the people who supported them all these years (especially the modders!) is unacceptable. Its just obvious what their new direction is. Way too obvious.

Lol, have you seen Arma 2? We aren't looking for the graphics of A3. ;)

I am talking about function not eye candy.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Well, I don't think anyone doesn't want more 'things', but DCS is mainly about aircraft and will probably stay that way for quite a while, which I prefer. Besides, I don't think ARMA is straying too much from its roots, the kart thing was just a bit of fun the devs were having. And if I recall correctly, the only thing they have said about DLC is that they are planning on expanding their helicopter and rifle content, nothing about micro-transactions. So for now you're probably safe from ARMA transforming into a game like CS.

Lol, have you seen Arma 2? We aren't looking for the graphics of A3

There is much more than graphics that goes into something like adding infantry to a flight sim engine.

Well, I would think vehicles aren't as hard to model as aircraft ( less worries about the "FM" ). Of course, the cockpit work is about the same. And I don't think there's that much to rigging infantry models (much less than FM). Actually, if you will just put out mod tools, there are a lot of really experienced ( and "pissed off!" ) Arma modders who would probably do a lot of stuff for you for free. If you attract the Arma people, you'll get a lot of "hobby" modders. Some of their stuff goes way beyond what BI ever did. Especially missions. These people put a LOT of hours into their work. I would love to see what they could do with DCS.

And as someone above said, vehicle / infantry work would probably be done by third parties.

Well, I would think vehicles aren't as hard to model as aircraft ( less worries about the "FM" ). Of course, the cockpit work is about the same. And I don't think there's that much to rigging infantry models (much less than FM).

The reality is likely a bit different than you think.

Actually, if you will just put out mod tools,

Building mod tools also takes time away from the things ED is already working on.

Often times and for almost any business, too much diversity does more harm than good.

ED should stick to its core competences, developing aircraft with the highest fidelity possible.

About the lots of "hobby" moders, too many cooks spoil the broth.

Their work, even if absolutely excellent at first glance, still needs to go through ED's quality assurance, what again occupies recources.

And in the end, only a very small percentage might stand up to the ED standard.

Sorry, but I voted for the aircrafts, that is what I am here for, the best flight simulation available.

Greetings

MadCat

This is what I'd love to see DCS + Arma = Best sim ever!

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

Remember, ED working on a DCS: Armour harcore vehicle level.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2002724&postcount=1

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2003197&postcount=1802 (russian forum)

Originally Posted by Keshman View Post

For example, what would ED to begin to confirm or refute our guesses on a separate module tank M1A2 SEP.

Let's just say, we are conducting research on the tanks to determine the optimal depth modeling of these products in relation to the realities of the game.

While no announcements, confirmations and promises.

Hey guys. I'm coming from the Armaverse, and after 10 years of happiness, I ( and many, many others ) are splitting paths with BI. They are just no longer any kind of military simulator. Their latest DLC is "Karts". Yeah, Go-Karts. We Arma types have been rudely awakened to the fact that the game has its sights firmly set on being the next COD / Counter-Strike clone ( with Go-Karts and Goat simulators!). Complete with tiny DLC ( think Arma:M40 Rifle with Scope $15, $3 more for Crazy Kapitalist Mouse skin! ) and micro-transactions. :doh:

If you guys are looking for more players, we're looking for a new engine. Hope to see vehicle and infantry simulation in your future.

I voted yes for more integration of vehicle types

Its some thing I have looked in to and I am afraid its more of a case of Easier said then done. Unfortunately the milsim market is not big enough

For the huge costs that would be involved. The best we can hope for is they Fix CA or even let a third party developer make new armour modules for

DCS world. IMO

Well, I would think vehicles aren't as hard to model as aircraft ( less worries about the "FM" ). Of course, the cockpit work is about the same. And I don't think there's that much to rigging infantry models (much less than FM).

ARMA simulates vehicles and aircraft very poorly. I laughed when I saw a helicopter lifting an M-1 as a sling load and the controls are rather wonky as well with none of the physics being accurately portrayed. ED has put out RFI's for the T-72 and M-1 tanks... I suppose to try to turn them into DCS level modules. The issue I have with that is that the maps/terrain is not up to snuff as far as ground combat is concerned. To accurately portray ground combat the terrain needs to be malleable to allow for things like foxholes, tank traps, and vehicle fighting positions to be built into the terrain. Everything in the map/terrain needs to be destroyable ant many more terrain features (trees with collision models, realistic foliage and topography to name a few) need to be incorporated so the armor, infantry, and helicopters can fight in a close to real world environment. 70 ton vehicles moving along the ground need to interact with the terrain by causing cumulative damage to what they are traveling over and it would be nice to see a Mk-84 sized pothole that is nigh impossible for a vehicle to drive over or a bunch of pulverized trees and wilderness fires, smoke and haze caused by combat vehicles/artillery. EDGE will be the limiting factor as far as that is concerned and we really have no clue as to how much it will allow the maps/terrain to be expanded upon and effects like massive amounts of fire and smoke implemented into the engine. Until the terrain issues are addressed DCS will be just a flight simulator with some ground vehicles that can be moved about.

Actually, if you will just put out mod tools, there are a lot of really experienced ( and "pissed off!" ) Arma modders who would probably do a lot of stuff for you for free. If you attract the Arma people, you'll get a lot of "hobby" modders. Some of their stuff goes way beyond what BI ever did. Especially missions. These people put a LOT of hours into their work. I would love to see what they could do with DCS.

And as someone above said, vehicle / infantry work would probably be done by third parties.

There are a lot of great ARMA mods out there and the guys that do them are very talented. The problem is still going to be the maps. At the moment DCS does not deliver the necessary fidelity required to make the infantry combat realistic. DCS does indeed need fleshing out as far as the ground combat side is concerned so I welcome any improvements.

Truly superior pilots are those that use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

"If at first you don't succeed, Carrier Landings are not for you!"

Oh my god dude I could NOT agree with you more. I have supported Bohemia Interactive since the release of Arma Cold War Assault and loved all their products until now. When Arma 2 came out, we had planes and helicopters coming out of our ears there were so many. When A3 was released, we had one plane. ONE F**KING PLANE!!!! WTF Bohemia? And it was some useless 80 year old CAS jet (the game is set in 2035.)

And now instead of giving us military content that we want, they are turning what was originally an April Fools joke (they said it themselves) into a PAID DLC for a couple of Go Karts and racing uniforms! And the funny part is you can script yourself into the karts without even buying them.

The sad thing is that they announced their "Helicopter DLC" with two new transport Helos. 2. wow. really..... and it's $15...

I really hope they can improve, but I think from the day that they announced their new "DLC Strategy" was the day that Arma died.

EDIT: Sorry if this seemed like a rage post, it wasn't intended as that. I love Arma 3 and the previous games otherwise I wouldn't have thousands of hours on them. I loved the Zeus DLC and I thought the ability to dynamically create mission was cool! And it was free! What drove them to this new system we will probably know. I am just sharing my heartbroken opinion :(

Edited by Sceptre

RTX 2070 8GB | 32GB DDR4 2666 RAM | AMD Ryzen 5 3600 4.2Ghz | Asrock X570 | CH Fighterstick/Pro Throttle | TM MFDs | TrackIR 5

Yeah, I consider Arma 2 to be the last Arma. Now its COD with the kitchen sink thrown in. Its more of a ridiculous Gary's Mod now. I think they're just trying to milk money out of a dead game before they completely ditch it.

The poll's pretty interesting so far. Almost evenly split between all three categories. Lol, I knew the die hards would jump on first and vote for planes only. Can't blame them for that. But I think most people (mostly the newer people ) can agree that its time to move on and include at LEAST realistic vehicles. Hope to see that M1A2 SEP module come out one day. If not from Eagle, then a third party. Surely there must be some third parties that are interested in realistic vehicles. And there was someone talking about the "arma" type vehicles. No, just to make things clear, I'm talking about REALISTIC vehicles. i.e. DCS level modules. Like Steel Beasts level ( or better ). One thing ED should think about is all the more modules they would sell by bringing in inf / vehicles. There are far more die hard FPS players out there than there are flight fanatics. Arma 3, as bad as it is, still sold over 1 million copies. Of course, people were expecting a lot more from it. I think DCS could deliver what they are really wanting. DCS really is the best flight sim I have ever played. I'm sure they could do the same with the rest of their "world". And of course, if you put out decent modding tools, a lot terrain / building makers would be happy to populate that world with all kinds of towns, bases, castles, forests, etc. You guys really could be the next Arma, in a LOT better way.

only almost

because

the best sim should be: steel beasts + dcs + arma + falcon + fsx + war thunder gfx :D

Man, look at you getting all technical on me....you knew what I meant...you crazy guy :D

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

• 3 weeks later...

ArmA has almost as many features modded in as ACE gave ArmA 2. Its all about who you play with. Find a group that fits your play style. Ill admit I shuddered in terror when I realized arma 3 was the way it is. But that didnt stop our group from tailoring our modset for our playstyle (realism). In arma and dcs community time and things will get better. Thats the backbone of these games anyways right?

CO 6vMAW

Looking for wingmen? Come Fly with Us!

my opinion..

Whole reason I got into DCS World is due to the whole sand box mentality. The possibility of having live targets( or at least in the concept you can get from a computer simulator) is one of the things that set DCS apart from other conventional sims. The fact that most aspects within a modern battlefield can be either manipulated or out right controlled add a level of realism to the game. As already stated, the ability to dive in in a column with the knowledge that the target us currently tracking your movements and making their own defensive movements is a great selling point.

The perfect war simulation (or damn close)

DCS World with Edge mixed with BMS Falcon dynamic campaign and F16 module along with Arma 3 ground combat.

It shall be called "The Art of War" and pwn all

Win 11 Professional, I7-12700K, 32GB DDR5, 3090, 2x 980 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe , 2x VKB Gunfighter mk III, MCG Ultimate, SCG, Orion 2 Throttle, Thrustmaster TPR pedals, Pimax Crystal