Question: How to Convert a Multiplayer Replay (.trk) file to a Mission (.miz) file?

Hi,

What is the process to convert a DCS Multiplayer (.trk) Replay file to a Single Player Mission (.miz) file?

===================================

DCS Main Menu\Replay\My Tracks\Mutiplayer\File (.trk)

C:\Users\User\Saved Games\DCS\Tracks\Multiplayer\(.trk) file

Related topics, but not my query:

--------------------------------------

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=86575&highlight=converting+track+file

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=124927

-+-

Have no intention of putting a server up.

Thanks for any help.

Edited by DieHard

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I think this is a controversial topic, in that a mission designer may not want their missions showing up on other servers, regardless of private or public play.

I ask that respect be given to the originator of a mission. If you want to take someone else's mission, please ask permission before doing so.

Wrecking Crew

Hollo Pointe server

• Like 1

Visit the Hollo Pointe DCS World server -- an open server with a variety of COOP & H2H missions including Combined Arms. All released missions are available for free download, modification and public hosting, from my Wrecking Crew Projects site.

It would be pretty lame to take credit for someone elses work, but its just about as lame to insist people only play it on your server. What happens when that server goes away (wont be the first time I've seen that happen)? what if you and your friends are on the side of the planet and I can't play with you no matter how much I love you. Or I have classes the night of the week you play. It really is silly.

• Thanks 1

:lol: put .miz instead of .trk at the end ...THATS ALL

After that open the .miz via winrar and delete the track file out of the . miz

Or use the Editor and rename the mission.

Thank you.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I think this is a controversial topic, in that a mission designer may not want their missions showing up on other servers, regardless of private or public play.

I ask that respect be given to the originator of a mission. If you want to take someone else's mission, please ask permission before doing so.

Wrecking Crew

Hollo Pointe server

^This

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

It would be pretty lame to take credit for someone elses work, but its just about as lame to insist people only play it on your server. What happens when that server goes away (wont be the first time I've seen that happen)? what if you and your friends are on the side of the planet and I can't play with you no matter how much I love you. Or I have classes the night of the week you play. It really is silly.

It is neither lame nor silly. The one who creates the mission lays down how he wants that mission used, if you don't respect the whish of the author, then *that* is lame.

Obviously nobody can control what you do with your MP tracks, but it would be exremely bad form to rip someones missions who explicitly asks not to do so.

• Thanks 1

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

It is neither lame nor silly. The one who creates the mission lays down how he wants that mission used, if you don't respect the whish of the author, then *that* is lame.

Obviously nobody can control what you do with your MP tracks, but it would be exremely bad form to rip someones missions who explicitly asks not to do so.

I could just as well argue that it's kind of silly to care that your mission has to run on your server. It's decremental to the multiplayer community as a whole. Each to his own I guess.

But this community is the only place I've ever seen this being an issue.

Edited by Irregular programming
  • Thanks 1

It's decremental to the multiplayer community as a whole.

So what? Leaving your house is statistically detrimental to your health. Would you ban all people from leaving their homes henceforth?

Whether it's a good idea or not doesn't diminish the fact that it's the prerogative of the mission maker to have a say in how his mission is used. He has invested his free time to make it, so he has all the right to make the call, whether it's a good call or a bad one regarding what aspect ever is completely irrelevant to that argument.

• Thanks 1

Come let's eat grandpa!

Well, I don't think such an attitude over missions is something to be encouraged. DCS, like so many simulators, is plagued by a lack of good playable content. If the community were to get so weirdly possessive about their missions that they wouldn't allow other people to play them the small pool of available missions would get ever smaller.

This is a game me and my friends would like to play more but it's very much limited by the small number of available missions. Simulators often leave the game part to the players (to their detriment, in my mind) and if the players don't share there's no game to play.

• Thanks 1

Well, I don't think such an attitude over missions is something to be encouraged. DCS, like so many simulators, is plagued by a lack of good playable content. If the community were to get so weirdly possessive about their missions that they wouldn't allow other people to play them the small pool of available missions would get ever smaller.

This is a game me and my friends would like to play more but it's very much limited by the small number of available missions. Simulators often leave the game part to the players (to their detriment, in my mind) and if the players don't share there's no game to play.

Nobody is actually encouraging this mindset here, but it is as it is - the author's work, the author's decision.

edit:

On the other hand, we just must not encouraging the people now to ignore the wishes and thus disrespect the work of the mission designers (and modders, and livery artists and so on!) - that would be a mindset I truly would despise.

Edited by Flagrum

So what if the "author" would like to sell his missions? Is that also up to the author?

Personally I'd want my missions to be used, changed and re-used, my only wish would be that I'd be credited as the original author.

i7-2600k@4GHz, 8GB, R9 280X 3GB, SSD, HOTAS WH, Pro Flight Combat Pedals, TIR5

So what if the "author" would like to sell his missions? Is that also up to the author?

I think you need to come to terms with ED about monetizing content created with tools they provide (mission editor), but yes, this is possible and it has happened in the past (Ka-50 campaign).

Come let's eat grandpa!

What Irregular Programming and Elukka have said boils down to what I believe. If this were Unreal, Arma III, or a myriad of other games people would be vying to get the most downloads for their maps/missions/whatever, putting them up on Steam Workshop, download sites as map packs, etc. They'd love to see their name plastered in the briefing/credits and get their 15 minutes of fame.

And it is generally great for the games, providing good content, and re-playability.

Not only that if someone has done something really clever in a mission and I'm inspired to do something else similar and so inclined I could look at the triggers in the mission editor to learn how to do that without recreating the wheel.

But only when you get to flight sims do you see this jealous guarding of missions. I think it does nothing to grow the community or encourage people to play.

I was actually playing last night and talking to a server maintainer who told me he preferred people did not copy off his missions. He had some arguments for that and I've made mine for why I think it's OK. We agreed to disagree and because I respect him I won't be putting up any servers with his missions (and I can actually say I have honestly _never_ done this anyway which makes the next part all the more amusing).

On the other hand I got a private message from another server maintainer on these forums telling me never to join his server and how dare I even think about the prospect of copying his 'intellectual property'. Simply put: give me a break. Apparently I am not allowed to have my own opinion any more and should be bullied into stepping in line. Sorry, I'll stick to single player missions before that happens.

As an aside, I think the fact that a copy of content that can be sold, if people have done that in the past as it sounds, is dumped on even non-purchasers systems if they play in a multi-player mission is a huge design flaw in the game.

Edited by xaoslaad
  • Thanks 1

This is ridiculous, if i would find a mission i liked on a random server (which won't happen since i only play with friends on private servers) i would have zero problems flying it without asking for permission. If somebody has problems with people playing his mission just don't put it on a public server, there you go, problem solved.

What's the harm if i play that mission with my mates or by myself? I'm not sure whether IP applies to such a situation, presumably game developers / distributors have this covered legally, but even if it does apply i really don't have any moral problems whatsoever with playing that mission. Taking the content and presenting it like my own, well yeah that's not cool, but simply playing? Let's get serious here...

Fly by yourself if your ego is such that people flying your masterpiece without your permission is a heinous crime. :D

As an aside, I think the fact that a copy of content that can be sold, if people have done that in the past as it sounds, is dumped on even non-purchasers systems if they play in a multi-player mission is a huge design flaw in the game.

There is no multiplayer campaign system, so no missions are being dumped.

Come let's eat grandpa!

• ED Team

Fly by yourself if your ego is such that people flying your masterpiece without your permission is a heinous crime. :D

People put a lot of effort into these mission, and I bet most of them wont mind sharing them, they are just asking for a little bit of courtesy in that you respect the work they put into them, if the mission is good enough to take the time, pop onto their server and save a track, it probably cant hurt to make an effort to PM the creator and let them know you enjoyed their mission so much you would like to fly it with your buddies on your own server.

Its about strengthening bonds in the community... encourage the people that make content for the community to continue to do so.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Wtf ... this thread has become ridiculous. :doh::doh:

"If this were Unreal, Arma III, or a myriad of other games people would be vying to get the most downloads for their maps/missions/whatever, putting them up on Steam Workshop, download sites as map packs, etc."

And if this were DCS, it would be exactly like that. Doh! In fact, it is! I am only aware of ONE mission pack that the author asks for, like, 2-3 $.

ALL OTHERS ARE ALL FREE.

THERE IS NO PROBLEM OUT THERE.

And if you really run across someone who does not want to share his work, wtf is the problem with letting him do whatever he finds to be appropriate? Besides, whatever you do at home on your own at home is just up to you and what you deem to be appropriate - morally or otherwise. But sharing the work of others that don't want it to be shared (i.e. running as MP mission) is, if not illegal, then at least disrespectful. Full stop.

But, honestly, do we really need to argue about this stuff? "Piracy", "intellectual property" and so on? What value work has - even if the results are not physically existent?

As I said already, all this is, thankfully, not a problem for DCS ...

PS: I would not mind if this thread would be closed now. The OP's question has been answered anyways ...

edit:

PPS: I am software developer. I make my living by producing "virtual stuff" - that might explain a bit why I am a bit biased ... no, not biased, rather have a strong opinion on this topic. :o)

Edited by Flagrum

There are quite a few mission designers that put a lot of work into their missions exclusively for their Server/VFW/Etc.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Wtf ... this thread has become ridiculous. :doh::doh:

And if this were DCS, it would be exactly like that. Doh! In fact, it is! I am only aware of ONE mission pack that the author asks for, like, 2-3 $.

Oh, wait, except it's not. As I said, I have someone actively discouraging me from joining their server because I might like to use one of their maps. Maybe they're the same $2-3 person but unless they speak up I can't vouch for that.

I do development too. I work on multiple open source projects.

I submit fixes, bug reports, and pull requests to add features infrequently. I get no monetary incentive for it. It just improves stuff I use.

Hell, I patch and build linux kernels for a distro to work on an ARM system and put them in a repo for others to consume all free of charge (couldn't sell it if I wanted to but I don't even ask for donations despite it sometimes taking hours to get them working, especially in the beginning...)

People thank me when it works, sometimes. Occasionally someone stars, watches, or forks my github repo which makes me laugh that they would consider my junk worthy. And that's more than enough thanks for me. Maybe because I come from a culture of share/improve the idea that I want to keep something I created to myself because I haven't figured out how to make a dime off of it is foreign to me.

I know this thread is circling the drain but one thing that hasn't come up with is the investment a server host makes in the connection / energy to run a server. I'm not talking the guys who put up a server for a couple hours to fly with his friends and then takes it down- I'm talking about the guys who are driving some pretty heavy systems and supporting hefty internet connections to supply the needed bandwidth to support smooth online play 24/7.

The community is extremely diluted- and perhaps making a commitment to run a 24/7 server at this point in the game's development may have been unwise... but fact is that can be 80-150 dollars a month just to run a dedicated computer and internet connection (speaking only from my area... might be less or more elsewhere)

Who's fault is that? That's not the community- that's a decision a person makes when they decide to host. So we can eat that responsibility and own it. It's our choice.

So how is it that you justify all that expense? I put the Firehouse up for about 2 years before I took a step back to catch my breath... and the way I did it (and I think the way a few other full time server hosts have done it) is by producing and hosting UNIQUE content. Not the same missions being played everywhere else... but the missions people would actually come to the server to enjoy. Granted back in the day where we all needed LAN connectivity and each person on a heavy AI mission would draw up to 1 meg per second, I needed the 15mb up connection. 110 bucks a month right there. Monitoring TeamViewer every day- trying to organize a list of mods /admins who had privileges to the host computer to keep it running... fixing missions every time they broke... creating content by request...

All I asked for in return was for people not to copy my missions and play them elsewhere. Come into the Firehouse, play with a bunch of great folks... come back for more. Bring friends. Repeat.

I don't like for people to copy my missions and take them out into the world- but it's not because I want credit so much as that I don't want to be raked over the coals for all the things in a mission that don't work- whether by design or because of an update.

I also think about all the people I may disappoint by dropping a mission over the transom for community consumption only to find out it was a dead sparrow in the first place. Getting this kind of feedback from the relatively small simhq community I flew with was digestible because in the end I could take it as constructive since I knew the source- but to get it constantly from people I don't know... It would get overwhelming (IMO). The last thing I need right now is one (more) reason to lose interest. Having my own little bubble keeps me interested.

Grimes said something to me that stuck with me a little while ago. I'd sent him a message just to say thanks for all his work on MIST and with the community- every day I'd come in and see someone needing some help- and he was Johnny on the spot with an answer. He would dig, and fix, and help... he held my hand through countless problems. He said he was surprised and thought my email to him was going to be another complaint that something wasn't working.

I didn't want that. Actually, more to the point I DON'T want that. And I'm willing to wager a lot of these folks wanting to protect content don't either.

I'm on the side of the community that agrees are person should be entitled to request that their mission be reserved for use on their own server- for their own purposes, whatever their reasons. They have their reasons just like people say they have reasons to use them elsewhere.

Sorry- this turned into a bit of a "thing" but I have heard this back and forth a few times and while I respect both sides I just wanted to weigh in because I'm one of those who would rather just keep my missions private.

• Like 1

"ENO"

Type in anger and you will make the greatest post you will ever regret.

"Sweetest's" Military Aviation Art

R E S P E C T

A little respect (sock it to me, sock it to me,

sock it to me, sock it to me)

Whoa, babe (just a little bit)

A little respect (just a little bit)

Visit the Hollo Pointe DCS World server -- an open server with a variety of COOP & H2H missions including Combined Arms. All released missions are available for free download, modification and public hosting, from my Wrecking Crew Projects site.

• ED Team
R E S P E C T

A little respect (sock it to me, sock it to me,

sock it to me, sock it to me)

Whoa, babe (just a little bit)

A little respect (just a little bit)

Did you ask Aretha if you could use her lyrics? Sorry... I couldnt resist :)

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

just open it in the ME

but have to add:

as a mission designer myself I would not object to any modification of my mission whatsoever, infact the disclaimer says to take whatever you need knowledge / script / design and use for yourself in any shape or form you wish with a credit to the original author encouraged, that ultimately i cannot enforce.

I find it disgusting that people would not want to share in the effort of distributing knowledge of how to do things in the ME or in script form, its completely against the spirit of community and these mission designers should not have their missions running on any servers (certainly not my server)

and truthfully anybody labeling do not modify or dissect this mission is usually protecting a big brown nugget of crappy design regardless... so i guess its not a big loss.

and ENO, i feel for you bro, many times when i load up my server for 8 hours I get nobody joining despite having a very quality mission running but I don't take it personal nor would having another server or two with the same mission file running actually effect my server load (the people who come to my server come for my company and my skills and the ones who don't probably have their own small group going on and would never join regardless)

Edited by =LFC=Chameleon_Silk