Obutto Console project

romeokilo

G'day all.

I've been lurking around these forums for way too long filling my brain with ideas, so I think its time to upload a work in progress/build log of my pit.

Its certainly not a replica. I'm going to do two basic single row side consoles, with a glass front pit and a landing gear and AHCP next to the lower moitor..

I've had an Obutto Ozone cockpit for a couple of years now. I was going to upgrade to the R3volution model, but i couldn't justify the cost.

So- step one of my A10C was to modify the Ozone to fit four monitors.

I bough a cheap monitor bracket on eBay with the plan to only use the VESA mount from it, but surprise it was a near perfect fit. Drilled some holes in the back of the Ozone center mount and the result was brilliant! Looks like an Obutto part!

DSC_0004_zps09153889.jpg

DSC_0009_zps17e1c366.jpg

DSC_0006_zps0595ef68.jpg

I'm using three BenQ 24 inch monitors and a cheap Acer 19 inch to run Helios. I also have Thrustmaster MFD's to go on the Acer.

I already have two panels I purchased from Glider on the forums last year. Fuel and Elec Power. The rest I am making myself. I don't have a fancy CNC or laser- I'm using a drill press and a scroll saw.

Anyway- here is my basic idea. I'm using the Obutto throttle and side stick mount to make two consoles. Here is the raw materials- aluminium brackets and strip from a hardware store. You get the idea-

DSC_0192_zps21d4ab74.jpg

DSC_0205_zps5082f40c.jpg

Acrylic sheet sides for the angles on the Fuel panel. Its only clear because that what i had spare- it will be painted black later on.

DSC_0285_zpsede3d3fb.jpg

DSC_0198_zps2fca9e04.jpg

DSC_0283_zps6dbd7a33.jpg

Panels- I'm using R1's plans that ive modified to fit my project. Like i said- this is not a replica. I'm changing things where i need too, as well as adding a few of my own fictional panels that will take care of other things I need from the panels I'm not building.

For now I'm cutting the bottom and middle out of white acrylic (ready for LED back lighting down the track). Then a color printout covered with a clear top panel. Later on i'll get the top panels done properly with an engraver- that will be an easy swap.

Here is what i have so far. The edges haven't been cleaned and I'm only using low quality print outs at the moment, but you get the idea.

DSC_0674_zpsa7bcd360.jpg

DSC_0673_zps07356139.jpg

DSC_0675_zps87719132.jpg

DSC_0681_zps7d360e2c.jpg

And the second console is also taking shape-

DSC_0683_zpsc63015f5.jpg

DSC_0668_zps357aea5a.jpg

The radios have green printed squares at the moment- will be 7 segment displays down the track (If i can work out how to do that).

The CDU printout is still a work in progress and will probably be the last panel I do. That one will be a Laser or CNC job- way to hard to cut that by hand! I'm going to try to use a cheap ebay 3.5 inch car reverse camera LCD for it.

I'm in the process of making a CMSP- without the LCD for now (maybe down the track)

For now here is where it is at-

DSC_0689_zpsaa9221d0.jpg

Stay tuned and I try to update as I go!

Cheers :thumbup:

• Like 1

Nice idea!:thumbup:

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Tempered Glass, Asus ROG Maximus IX Hero, Intel i7 7700K @ 4.8, Corsair HX 1000i, Nzxt Kraken 62, 32gb DDR4 3000Mhz Corsair Dominator Platinum, Nvme SSD Samsung 960 Evo 1Tb, Asus Strix OC 1080ti, Philips 43" 4K Monitor + 2 x Dell 24" U2414H, Warthog HOTAS, Track IR 5, Obutto R3volution, Buttkicker Gamer 2, MFG Crosswind pedals, Occulus Rift CV1, Windows 10 Pro.

Another small update-

Added the Fuel RCVR handle. Not sure how I'm going to do the knob for it though.

It is two 1mm strips of aluminium riveted together. It simply pivots on a bolt and nut. Rubber washers on for friction and locktite on the nut so it doesnt come loose. Simple and seems to work fine. :megalol:

DSC_0001_zps9fbf4864.jpg

DSC_0002_zps29f0df76.jpg

Also did the Lighting panel-

DSC_0010_zpsf6000eeb.jpg

And the landing gear panel and AHCP are one unit. I hope to get a simmeters flaps gauge in there eventually. That will be the only analogue gauge I will use (and only if i can get it to work with helios)

DSC_0008_zps9f8436d2.jpg

And the plan is to turn this into a gear handle-

DSC_0011_zpsd6b7194d.jpg

And one custom panel that will go at the top of the left console as I'm not going to have a UFC or Fire handles. Will both be lit up with a phidgets board (along with the caution box).

DSC_0013_zps616606b8.jpg

These are very much prototypes and the finished product will be much better (hopefully)

Thanks for looking! :thumbup:

• Like 1

you're doing a great job!:thumbup:

I particularly like your idea for the fire pulls panel.

John

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

Wow Romeokilo.....what a fantastic effort. looks like a great set of controls you are building up for yourself.

Thanks for sharing ..it is always good to see other enthusiasts ideas.....any rough ideas of what you have spent?

Cheers

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

TrubshawRN -=SHREK 94=-

I'm actually kind of depressed about this. I've been looking for a brand new Ozone (US), but as of late, their sole singular supplier has been out of stock. They won't get any new ones in until July, and I have no intention on withdrawing $850 to buy the R3v.

Oh well, Coffee tables and office chairs it is for me until July I guess..

If you aim for the sky, you will never hit the ground.

Wow Romeokilo.....what a fantastic effort. looks like a great set of controls you are building up for yourself.

Thanks for sharing ..it is always good to see other enthusiasts ideas.....any rough ideas of what you have spent?

Cheers

Thanks lads.

As for cost- its been relatively cheap so far. All the aluminum was about $40 at a local hardware store. The plastic is $25 a sheet, ive used one white and one clear. The switches im getting cheap from china on ebay. All up so far maybe $150.

I anticipate that will rise sharply once I start adding the electronics.

Plus ive just ordered a 3.5 inch lcd ($30) and green illuminated tactile switches (20 for $11) for the cdu.

Ill also need a secondary graphics card to run it.

The cost will rise...

Yeah it could mate. Ive actually considered getting a second one for that purpose. Or maybe even two for the side monitors to attach table tops.

I didnt make it- it is a cheap one from ebay. All I had to do was drill the holes in the obutto.

Ill find the link and post it here when I get home.

That is awesome, way to go!

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

Thanks..I will check out Best Buy at work today...

Cheers..:thumbup:

Yeah it could mate. Ive actually considered getting a second one for that purpose. Or maybe even two for the side monitors to attach table tops.

I didnt make it- it is a cheap one from ebay. All I had to do was drill the holes in the obutto.

Ill find the link and post it here when I get home.

[/Table]

Recruiting for Aerobatic Team/Fighter Group...

• 2 weeks later...

Some minor updates.

I've finished designing and prototyping all the basic panels.

I've edited most to fit the 12 position rotaries and knobs I intend to use.

Its not an A10 replica, so I've also used some artistic licence here and there, basically changed some things so they look better.

CDU Panel

DSC_0306_zpsc2e5f195.jpg

VHF Radio and SAS panel. The white squares with be cut out to fit 7 segments. And i swapped the L and R monitor switch on the SAS panel for Track IR center and pause.

DSC_0309_zpsb54c10b5.jpg

UHF Radio. The top covers are not on it, but they will be.

DSC_0310_zps483e31fd.jpg

I changed the console design a bit. I've decided not to have the landing gear and caution panel attached to the monitor bracket, but rather have everything DCS related on the side consoles. So i can just lift them up, put them away and the whole rig is back to BF4/normal computer mode.

I cut new sides on the right console to mount my made up warning panel. The Landing gear and AHCP will be mounted in the same fashion on the left console.

Note- the warning panel pictured is not the final design. I removed the Master Caution text- it will be on the button instead. And the colored switches will be gone as well.

DSC_0313_zpscb643f92.jpg

CMSP is very much still in prototype stage. Messing with some illuminated tactile switches I got cheap. You get the idea.

DSC_0324_zpse3d07b50.jpg

DSC_0325_zpsaffde620.jpg

And the landing gear handle is also still a prototype. Will be LED illuminated and have plastic sides put on. I'm trying to work out a spring mechanism so you have to pull it out about 10mm in order to move it from the up or down position.

DSC_0323_zpsb944e9e9.jpg

DSC_0316_zps8d3a685f.jpg

DSC_0320_zps02ae41b6.jpg

But the best news- all the final panels have been laser cut and engraved, I'm just waiting on the package. They have been reverse engraved onto 1 mm matte laser max. I will just re cut the clear tops i have now from white and bolt it all together.

Cant wait to get them next week! :thumbup:

Next up will be experimenting with LED back lighting.

Looks great man, nice job!

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

Finished the gear handle today. All that is left to do is Paint the lever black.

Here is the simple mechanism I used-

DSC_0335_zps8b5609cb.jpg

It locks the lever in the wheels up or down position and you have to pull the handle outwards in order to move it.

The handle in pieces-

DSC_0330_zps9ca7561b.jpg

Its not perfect, but once I install it for good ill put some silicon grease on it so it moves nice and smooth.

DSC_0333_zps7f7cbbc0.jpg

And a quick LED test-

DSC_0340_zpsed77f31e.jpg

Not bad for a castor wheel I think. :thumbup:

Got the engraved panels! :)

Very happy with out they turned out. I'm going to paint the reverse engraving white to improve visibility when the back light is off.

I have noted that the holes for the HUD and ALT SCE got missed in error. I'll just cut them myself the old fashioned way.

DSC_0022_zpsa83f9c3a.jpg

DSC_0024_zpsc6c8ced7.jpg

DSC_0025_zpsf6020c2b.jpg

DSC_0034_zpsca82ca13.jpg

DSC_0035_zps1aa47ab0.jpg

DSC_0031_zpse6e46455.jpg

Note the custom panel I did on the bottom.

DSC_0036_zps1d885d19.jpg

And I also decided to make my own flaps gauge rather than buy one. I'll work out that later!

DSC_0039_zps9a18f02a.jpg

I can't wait to get these lit up!

In case you are interested.... The middle two knobs of your lighting control panel are of the wrong type. See the attached picture of a genuine A10 simulator lighting control panel. I took the top middle knob off to show what how the backlight is transmitted into the knobs - by unpainted frosted circles under the knobs.

DSC_0035_zps1aa47ab0.jpg

image.jpg.2b7db6dafc546d5c4f052f6ff3e74072.jpg

Yeah I am aware. Im only using cheap ebay knobs and these were the closest I could find. Im also not backlighting them- I am considering engraving a pointer into these and filling with glow in the dark paint. Ill experiment.

Also- is everybody using rotary encoders for that panel? Or is there a way to use pots?