Notices

Old 04-06-2014, 11:04 AM   #1
Bergison

Reputation power: 0
Bergison will become famous soon enoughBergison will become famous soon enoughBergison will become famous soon enough
Default DIY G-seat

Hi everybody!

I was planning to add motion to my simpit for a long time, but since the SimXperience GS-4 G-seat is a bit too expensive for me and I didn't get any reply from the guys at Ivibe, I decided to build my own DIY G-Seat:

It is able to simulate acceleration in all three dimensions: positive/negative Gs, acceleration/deceleration and yaw.
You can find a short description and some more pictures of it on my simpit website: http://meintourenbuch.net/simpit/g-seat

Anybody with similar projects (or the wish of building a seat like this for him/herself) and in need of some help or advice, feel free to contact me!

Last edited by Bergison; 04-07-2014 at 09:21 PM.
Bergison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 02:41 PM   #2
MacFevre

Reputation power: 4
MacFevre is on a distinguished roadMacFevre is on a distinguished road

That actually looks pretty neat. Thanks for the info. So does it work well for you? Is there much of a difference felt in-game?

My new Version 2 Pit: MacFevre A-10C SimPit V2
My first pit thread: A-10C Simulator Pit "The TARDIS."
Dzus Fastener tutorial, on the inexpensive side: DIY Dzus Fastener
MacFevre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 04:35 PM   #3
hansangb

Reputation power: 7
hansangb has a spectacular aura abouthansangb has a spectacular aura abouthansangb has a spectacular aura abouthansangb has a spectacular aura abouthansangb has a spectacular aura abouthansangb has a spectacular aura about

damn...that's impressive!
hansangb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 04:48 PM   #4
javelina1

Reputation power: 10
javelina1 is just really nicejavelina1 is just really nicejavelina1 is just really nicejavelina1 is just really nicejavelina1 is just really nicejavelina1 is just really nicejavelina1 is just really nicejavelina1 is just really nicejavelina1 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergison View Post
Hi everybody!

I was planning to add motion to my simpit for a long time, but since the SimXperience GS-4 G-seat is a bit too expensive for me and I didn't get any reply from the guys at Ivibe, I decided to build my own DIY G-Seat:

You can find a short description and some pictures of it on my simpit website: http://meintourenbuch.net/simpit/g-seat

Anybody with similar projects (or the wish of building a seat like this for him/herself) and in need of some help or advice, feel free to contact me!
Linky not working at the moment. would like to check this out.

http://www.aircombatgroup.co.uk/
Gigabyte Z87-HD3, i5-4670K O/C 4.2ghz, NH-U12S cooler, 16GB RAM, GTX 970, Xonar sound card, 256GB Samsung SSD, 1TB HDD, Windows 8.1, TM Warthog, Saitek Combat Rudders, TM MFD's, Enermax Case, 39" Samsung HDTV, 20" Acer (for Helios & MFD extracts), TrackIR5
javelina1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 05:01 PM   #5
MTFDarkEagle
Veteran

Reputation power: 150
MTFDarkEagle has much to be proud ofMTFDarkEagle has much to be proud ofMTFDarkEagle has much to be proud ofMTFDarkEagle has much to be proud ofMTFDarkEagle has much to be proud ofMTFDarkEagle has much to be proud ofMTFDarkEagle has much to be proud ofMTFDarkEagle has much to be proud ofMTFDarkEagle has much to be proud ofMTFDarkEagle has much to be proud ofMTFDarkEagle has much to be proud ofMTFDarkEagle has much to be proud ofMTFDarkEagle has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by javelina1 View Post
Linky not working at the moment. would like to check this out.
Works fine for me?
Old 04-06-2014, 05:04 PM   #6
javelina1

Reputation power: 10
javelina1 is just really nicejavelina1 is just really nicejavelina1 is just really nicejavelina1 is just really nicejavelina1 is just really nicejavelina1 is just really nicejavelina1 is just really nicejavelina1 is just really nicejavelina1 is just really nice

me too now... must've been a DNS issue with my provider. I couldn't resolve to some other websites, (new ones, not in cache). Now, all is ok...

to the OP, that does look very nice!

http://www.aircombatgroup.co.uk/
Gigabyte Z87-HD3, i5-4670K O/C 4.2ghz, NH-U12S cooler, 16GB RAM, GTX 970, Xonar sound card, 256GB Samsung SSD, 1TB HDD, Windows 8.1, TM Warthog, Saitek Combat Rudders, TM MFD's, Enermax Case, 39" Samsung HDTV, 20" Acer (for Helios & MFD extracts), TrackIR5
javelina1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 07:33 PM   #7
Bushmanni

Reputation power: 15
Bushmanni is just really niceBushmanni is just really niceBushmanni is just really niceBushmanni is just really niceBushmanni is just really niceBushmanni is just really niceBushmanni is just really niceBushmanni is just really niceBushmanni is just really nice

This looks pretty neat. I have experienced couple seat tilting systems and they were simply awful as the tilt was about 0.5 sec behind what happened in screen and therefore the effect felt as very disturbing random shaking. I can't imagine a suitably high grade tilting system can be made that would be fast enough and not injure the user and that would feel as lateral acceleration instead of tilting. As such I have been hoping that this kind of systems would be developed.

How much latency there is in the system? I'm pretty certain it can be made pretty fast but how hard it would be, what it would take? Having some kind of sensory feedback through skin would be very useful even if it doesn't feel exactly like the real thing as long as it's not uncomfortable and the difference between different directions and strengths can be felt and response is fast enough.
Bushmanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 07:50 PM   #8
slowhand

Reputation power: 20
slowhand is just really niceslowhand is just really niceslowhand is just really niceslowhand is just really niceslowhand is just really niceslowhand is just really niceslowhand is just really niceslowhand is just really niceslowhand is just really nice

Can you post a Video of it in action ? would love to see it work
16 Gig Corseair Vengence
Rhino X55,TIR4 w/wireless pro clip , Astro wireless headset, 2-23" 1 27" and 1 19 " monitors, Tm MFD's, Saitek pro rudders wrapped up in 2 sheets of plywood
slowhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:14 PM   #9
Bergison

Reputation power: 0
Bergison will become famous soon enoughBergison will become famous soon enoughBergison will become famous soon enough

Thanks for your replies!

@ MacFevre: the difference to a non-moving sim is (in my opinion) remarkable! I figured the seat would improve immersion but I didn't expect it to be so strong and realistic! Especially "pulling Gs", where all four flaps move together is great fun! I am also very happy that I did include the seat belts (they tension under negative Gs or when decelerating). When flying inverted it really feels like hanging upside down in the seat!

@ Bushmanni: I haven't measured or calculated latency. If there is any, I'm not able to recognize it while flying. The onset of Gs and all other forces is instantaneous, so is for example the kick at a not-so-smooth touchdown. I do know pretty good how accelerations feel in real flight, so I knew what to aim for when constructing the seat. But of course it will never be 100% realistic! What G-seats completely lack is the acceleration felt by the head, or in the stomach for example. You won't black out too, but as already said - it feels quite good!

@ slowhand: a video of the seat is in progress, I'm going to post it here when its finished!
Bergison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:42 PM   #10
mr_mojo97

Reputation power: 6
mr_mojo97 will become famous soon enoughmr_mojo97 will become famous soon enoughmr_mojo97 will become famous soon enoughmr_mojo97 will become famous soon enough

This sounds/looks awesome mate. Think you'll be making these up for buyers or provide full info on how to build one? Ta
P67A-GD55 | Intel i5 2500k (OC) 4.2Ghz | MSI GTX970 4Gb | 128Gb Crucial M4 SSD (OS) | 256Gb Samsung 850 Pro SSD (DCS) | 250Gb HDD | 12Gb 1600MHz DDR3 - Hyper X and XMS | Thrustmaster Warthog - 08742 | MFG Crosswinds | Thrustmaster MFDs | Logitech G13 used as a UFC | iPad mini with iControl for use wih CDU only | Trackir 4 | Logitech G930 headset | Windows 10 | LG 32" LED | VAC | Homebuilt cockpit panels with 4x BU0836X and Helios
mr_mojo97 is offline   Reply With Quote