Saitek X55 - Wait (and read) before you buy

Hi Guys,

I know I am not flying DCSW atm having got fed up and gone over to BMS (which has restored my faith in combat sims/humanity btw) but I thought I would provide a heads up on the Saitek X55.

Below is a copy of the ticket I just had to submit to Saitek for the brand new X55 I pre ordered 3 months ago:

I would like to place a ticket regarding my X55 HOTAS, as I have encountered a number of serious problems with the HOTAS.

1) None of the buttons function as 'press and hold'. This is not acceptable in a modern gaming environment where:

a) Certain functions of combat flight siming require press and hold functionality (speed brake positioning, press and hold release for NATO stores etc).

b) Interaction with teamspeak/other comms .

2) The throttle of does not appear to be mapping to any of my flight sims (DCS World and Falcon BMS).

3) The advert says the HOTAS is meant to automatically sync with Falcon BMS and DCS World products - it does not. In the case of both BMS and DCSW, the throttle is not mapping correctly. Also, in the case of BMS, one of the rotary switches on the throttle base is not mapped to allow it to be used as it should be and I suspect the mouse wheel on the left of the throttle unit is not going to work as it should as it does not appear to be mapping to the zoom/look closer function the way the X52's did.

4) The 'SLD' 'slider' (I presume/really hope it's a slider) is acting as a button, not a slider with no options for assigning bands etc. - I am making the assumption that this IS a slider - because if it is not then it represents a major loss of functionality in the controller.

From a more general perspective, there is a lot of lateral movement in the toggle switches on the throttle unit, the guards protecting the 3 toggle switches at the base of the throttle unit do not actually cover the switches. Why on earth are there not any front and back throttle indents (as with the X52) - this to me represents a major step backwards in the design of the throttle as you can no longer tell what position your throttle is in before you advance to afterburner or back to idle.

This product COULD have been one of the best on the market and arguably a better (and much cheaper) alternative to the TMWH or the X65. However, while the intent for this HOTAS seems to have been good, there is a real feel that this stick has been designed and tested by people who dont actually fly combat flight sims.

I would add that it is still early doors yet and there is (hopefully) time to resolve most of these 'functionality' issues, if not some defects in design (or to be more fair, omissions in design). I have submitted this exact post as a ticket to Saitek/MADCATZ and will have to see what comes of it. I hope it does not end up being the same as the STRIKE 7 keyboard that I ended up sending back for a refund based on poor functionality.

Regards,

Sharpe

PS: It would seem that this is not a one off, looking at their unsuppressed/bad comments welcome Facebook page - others have issues with it, and VFS mates have had similar problems. Again, it might be worth waiting for the kinks on get sorted out on this one before you take the plunge.

Edited by Sharpe_95

Is it anger and/or disappointment, will the post help to restore your faith in the DCSW combat sims/humanity? and I do not exactly understand what you expect from Saitek. I advise you to just send your product back, since it will never function as you expect.

I use'd logitech, thrustmaster, CHpro and now the x65 and ordered the x55.

Non of them where perfect and needed some mods and software tweaks to fit my setup. (actually I like to take them apart, its the first thing I do after opening the box)

With regards to "It would seem that this is not a one off, looking at their unsuppressed/bad comments" The tendency to react when unhappy about anything. On the internet often results in mad-raving-deathwishes without much content nor relevance.

I hope that some day there will be a joystick/keyboard and a sim that can what you expect.

Personally, I find that anytime you purchase a 'brand new' product, you are taking a risk.

• Like 1

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Personally, I find that anytime you purchase a 'brand new' product, you are taking a risk.

Never buy the first year of a new model vehicle... :) I'd like to have that new Aluminum F-150 (2015), but will await the second year release. :smilewink:

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

I had originally pre-ordered the X55, but then canceled. Figuring I'd await to see how things shake out. I may still get it, if they make some tweaks down the road. For now, my X52 with magnet & tension mods, is working a-ok.

Besides, I just spent nearly $1K on my new sim rig... and the high command, (Wifey), was already raising her eyebrow about that... :music_whistling:

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

I had originally pre-ordered the X55, but then canceled. Figuring I'd await to see how things shake out. I may still get it, if they make some tweaks down the road. For now, my X52 with magnet & tension mods, is working a-ok.

Besides, I just spent nearly $1K on my new sim rig... and the high command, (Wifey), was already raising her eyebrow about that... :music_whistling:

I cancelled too, kinda glad I did just to wait and see what comes after the bugs are squashed.

Win 10 64 Pro, MSI Z390 I7-9700K @5ghz Kraken Z63, 32Gb Corsair Dominator, MSI RTX-2070, 1TB NVME 2TB SSD's, TM Warthog, Pro Rudders, OpenTrack w/ IR Clip

1) None of the buttons function as 'press and hold'. This is not acceptable in a modern gaming environment where:

I find it pretty hard to believe that X55 software functions THAT differently than X52 Pro in this regard - when using the SST software to program, it always maps press and release separately and it definitely works, otherwise I wouldn't be able to launch any weapon in DCS which requires a longer trigger hold (e.g. A2A missiles on Soviet aircraft).

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

I own and x55 and so far I have had no problems with DCS. It maps perfectly to the options screen and with any stick you need to set the buttons in game to your liking. All of the Axis commands need to be assigned but that to me is normal as I had to do this with my cougar as well. I also appreciate the 3 axis buttons I have on the throttle as now I can control things like spot lights that I couldnt control. I also have button 1 on the throttle mapped to teamspeak which so far works perfectly. The only thing Im missing is a threeway button I had on the cougar throttle for airbrakes but I have a work around.

Im a helo guy not an A-10 guy so please note the difference. I dont need a two stage trigger. There is also programming that Im not taking advantage of in the X55 software, but in DCS I can map every button, toggle, and rotary switch. Sorry but I disagree with you on this.

I was in Art of the Kill D#@ it!!!!

I own and x55 and so far I have had no problems with DCS. It maps perfectly to the options screen and with any stick you need to set the buttons in game to your liking. All of the Axis commands need to be assigned but that to me is normal as I had to do this with my cougar as well. I also appreciate the 3 axis buttons I have on the throttle as now I can control things like spot lights that I couldnt control. I also have button 1 on the throttle mapped to teamspeak which so far works perfectly. The only thing Im missing is a threeway button I had on the cougar throttle for airbrakes but I have a work around.

Im a helo guy not an A-10 guy so please note the difference. I dont need a two stage trigger. There is also programming that Im not taking advantage of in the X55 software, but in DCS I can map every button, toggle, and rotary switch. Sorry but I disagree with you on this.

What your saying could ring true. The guy from my vfs said saitek asked him to send his back. Maybe I just got a duff one or one that the post guy dropped or whatever - time will tell as I only sent the ticket today.

Tell me does your software allow the 'SDR' button (I assume it's a slider like on the X52) map as bands or as a button?

In general, yes the comments above about buying a new product etc may be true - forgive me if I get a little excited about these things ;) It may well be ironed out as as someone above said - I really can't see it being so very different from the X52. Maybe mine (and my mates) was just a duff batch.

I'll post more details when the ticket comes back.

-Sharpe

PS: I am telling you the facts from mine and my mates perspectives. It may be that we have a duff batch but the fact is I am merely pointing out my experience so far.

Edited by Sharpe_95

I'm the same way, remember all the upset Warthog owners when it first came out?

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

I do not exactly understand what you expect from Saitek. I advise you to just send your product back, since it will never function as you expect.

And if those expectations are borne of Saitek's own ads?

Quality issues and Saitek just go hand in hand, and that's to be treated as an absolute until its proven otherwise. The difference however is in where those issues crop up. None of the issues with respect to quality on any of my 3 Saitek X52s (yes I own 3 of them) inhibits their advertised function, not unless you count the progressive expansion of centre slop on my oldest stick.

If OP's issues are borne of flaws in the product outside the norm then he has legitimate cause to complain to the manufacturer. All we need to do is figure out whether they're real issues or a case of Instructions-too-complicated-penis-stuck-in-HOTAS.

Warning: Nothing I say is automatically correct, even if I think it is.

Especially that you can't trust reviewers. Not because they are bought. Because they usually aren't fit for the job. I've never seen a control set review done like a hardcore simmer would have done, i.e. properly. And then you learn of major flaws from your favorite forums.

A word of advice. If a manufacturer clearly starts to go for the bling you know it's time for you to opt out if you're after quality and performance. This indicator has proven to be extremely reliable.

Edited by Bucic

What's this about buttons not functioning as press and hold? Codswallop! Using Shein's profile I have speedbrake functionality and weapons release with 'press and hold'.

I happen to be very pleased with my unit. It may be that you have a lemon and it needs RMA'd?

i7-4770k | EVGA GTX 980 SC | 16GB DDR3 | TrackIR 5, TM Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals

DCS: F-16C, F/A-18C, F-14A/B, AV-8B, FC3, A-10C, Black Shark II, UH-1H, F-86F, MiG-21bis, Mirage 2000C, AJS-37, F-5E :pilotfly:

I have the X-55 as well and so far so good. The only struggle I'm having is that the Ka-50 Sim will not allow me to map axis commands to my stick. Throttle column map the collective and Throttle to the two levers as axis but the stick column is just grayed out in the axis commands and it's only in the Ka-50. Axis commands in A10, UH-1h etc are all functioning properly. Any thoughts?

I have the X-55 as well and so far so good. The only struggle I'm having is that the Ka-50 Sim will not allow me to map axis commands to my stick. Throttle column map the collective and Throttle to the two levers as axis but the stick column is just grayed out in the axis commands and it's only in the Ka-50. Axis commands in A10, UH-1h etc are all functioning properly. Any thoughts?

Delete or rename the input config folder for the Kamov,

..\Saved Games\DCS\Config\Input\ka-50

This will reset the controls for that aircraft only.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

• ED Team

I have the x55, and while there are a couple issues, I think most could be worked out with software upgrades, but for the most part I am very very happy with it... the throttle doest work with BF4, but that is an EA issue... and well... its not a big issue with BF4 anyways...

So as of right now, I would totally recommend the x55.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

• ED Team
What's this about buttons not functioning as press and hold? Codswallop! Using Shein's profile I have speedbrake functionality and weapons release with 'press and hold'.

I happen to be very pleased with my unit. It may be that you have a lemon and it needs RMA'd?

I second this, I have had no issues with press and hold functionality....

64Sig.png

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

• ED Team

I know I am not flying DCSW atm having got fed up and gone over to BMS (which has restored my faith in combat sims/humanity btw)

Also, glad to see your flare for the dramatic is still firing on all cylinders... ;) Glad you could be bothered with us lowly DCS World fans still...

64Sig.png

:megalol::doh::music_whistling:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] SMOKE'M:smoke: IF YA GOT'M!:gun_rifle:

H2o Cooler I7 9700k GA 390x MB Win 10 pro

Evga RTX 2070 8Gig DD5

32 Gig Corsair Vengence, 2T SSD.

TM.Warthog:joystick: :punk:, CV-1:matrix:,3x23" monitors, Tm MFD's, Saitek pro rudders wrapped up in 2 sheets of plywood:megalol: