Notices

Old 11-01-2013, 04:38 PM   #1
luthier1

Reputation power: 17
luthier1 is a glorious beacon of lightluthier1 is a glorious beacon of lightluthier1 is a glorious beacon of lightluthier1 is a glorious beacon of lightluthier1 is a glorious beacon of lightluthier1 is a glorious beacon of lightluthier1 is a glorious beacon of lightluthier1 is a glorious beacon of lightluthier1 is a glorious beacon of lightluthier1 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Combined Development Update - November 1, 2013

Hey folks,

Sorry for a lapse in updates. I am almost comically plagued by internet issues on my trip; could make for a nice story all by itself. Almost considered doing a write-up, but perhaps in a couple of days when there’s no trace of bitterness. Catching a plane home tomorrow afternoon, where a nice PC with a nice Ethernet cable awaits. The things we take for granted.

Anyway, while I was incommunicado, the rest of the team has been hard at work.

We’re going to do a combined update on a bunch of fronts.

The 109 cockpit, shown earlier, is virtually completed. It’s scheduled to be done by the end of next week. Here’s a teaser shot.

We’ll do a full photoshoot once it’s finished and checked.

The 109 external is not nearly as far along. We actually ran into a bit of delay with it, and we’re working double time to catch up. The 109 is still scheduled to be the first new RRG plane to be completed, in time for the closed alpha.

The first step of making an external model for a DCS plane is to make its engine. Even though it’s not something you really see, this is what’s traditionally done first before the rest of the aircraft is built around it. We had an issue with blueprints and references that had us redo a portion of the model, and the engine is generally extremely detailed and elaborate, so we’re about a week behind schedule. The engine is generally modeled and mapped, so we’re ready to proceed with the rest of the aircraft.

I am walking a very fine line here between keeping the fans and the artists happy. This is something I’m sure most of you did not think of at all, but the 3D artists making these models feel very connected to them and have a sense of personal pride, so asking them to show clearly unfinished models is always met with some resistance. I’m not the kind of boss who says “just shut up and give me the model to screenshot.” So, in this case, just like with the 109 pit, we have a modeler who really hates the idea of showing unfinished, “crappy” (in his words) WIP. He really asked to delay showing the engine until it’s shiny and perfect, so this is our compromise.

Please consider this as a general showcase of our attention to detail.

The flight model and the weapons and all the physics stuff for it has been in the works since July, but it's using the P-51 as a stand-in for now. We're rather far along with our physics model of the Bf.109, but obviously that's not something that can be shown with screenshots. We'll probably do some detailed lengthy videos once the 3D model is put in place, in the run-up to the alpha.

Next, we have the current state of the P-47 cockpit. Again, slightly behind schedule there, but really working hard to catch up. No deadline jeopardized, just a bit of an extra crunch in the middle of the project. We expected to just reuse P-51 gauges for the Jug, but ended up having to redo most from scratch. We currently have the canopy framework, the dashboard, and the gunsight, all done from scratch for our brand new P-47D-30. All await the delivery of the last set of factory blueprints for a final accuracy check.

Lastly, here’s where we are with the landscape. Been doing a lot of technical engine-related tasks. Redrew all the roads and crossroads. Redid the canals. Redid the flooded areas once again. Played a whole lot with the trees. Generally the terrain is beginning to look more detailed, but still a long road ahead.

Now, the most important thing I’ve realized over the past two months is that if I was my own employee, I should fire myself as a community manager. I barely have any time to do it, and it creates a very poor impression. Now that we’ve finally received our kickstarter funds (by the way, yay) I really need to hire a more professional community manager. I’ll get busy once I’m back home this weekend. Of course, ideally it would be a member of this community. It would most likely be a salaried part-time position, and the qualifications would include a passion for flight sims, understanding of aviation, and good communication skills. I don’t know if it’s realistic to hope for someone who’s fluent in both Russian and English, but English fluency would definitely be a must, while Russian would be a huge plus.

If you think you might be a good fit based on this preliminary announcement, email me at luthier1@gmail.com

With that, I’m off to pack my suitcase. Hope you like the screenshots!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	109_Cockpit_WIP.jpg
Views:	3054
Size:	554.4 KB
ID:	90316   Click image for larger version

Name:	109_Engine_WIP.jpg
Views:	1957
Size:	316.9 KB
ID:	90317   Click image for larger version

Name:	47-1.jpg
Views:	2597
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	90318  

Name:	47-4.jpg
Views:	1711
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	90319   Click image for larger version

Name:	47-5.jpg
Views:	1667
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	90320   Click image for larger version

Name:	47-6.jpg
Views:	1688
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	90321  

Name:	Landscape01.jpg
Views:	1798
Size:	1.51 MB
ID:	90322   Click image for larger version

Name:	Landscape02.jpg
Views:	1676
Size:	2.19 MB
ID:	90323   Click image for larger version

Name:	Landscape03.jpg
Views:	1649
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	90324  

Name:	Landscape04.jpg
Views:	1537
Size:	1.72 MB
ID:	90325   Click image for larger version

Name:	Landscape05.jpg
Views:	1459
Size:	2.18 MB
ID:	90326  
luthier1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 04:40 PM   #2
bongodriver+
Banned

Reputation power: 8
bongodriver is a jewel in the roughbongodriver is a jewel in the roughbongodriver is a jewel in the roughbongodriver is a jewel in the roughbongodriver is a jewel in the roughbongodriver is a jewel in the rough

OMG.....I messed myself, those 3D models are going to be amazing.
bongodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 04:41 PM   #3
Blaze

Reputation power: 95
Blaze is a splendid one to beholdBlaze is a splendid one to beholdBlaze is a splendid one to beholdBlaze is a splendid one to beholdBlaze is a splendid one to beholdBlaze is a splendid one to beholdBlaze is a splendid one to beholdBlaze is a splendid one to beholdBlaze is a splendid one to beholdBlaze is a splendid one to beholdBlaze is a splendid one to beholdBlaze is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the update Luthier, some really great stuff there!!! Never mind the lapse in updates, real life always has a way of getting in the way.

Design is all about finding solutions within constraints. If there were no constraints, it's not design — it's art.
Blaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 04:45 PM   #4
cichlidfan
Veteran

Reputation power: 97
cichlidfan is a splendid one to beholdcichlidfan is a splendid one to beholdcichlidfan is a splendid one to beholdcichlidfan is a splendid one to beholdcichlidfan is a splendid one to beholdcichlidfan is a splendid one to beholdcichlidfan is a splendid one to beholdcichlidfan is a splendid one to beholdcichlidfan is a splendid one to beholdcichlidfan is a splendid one to beholdcichlidfan is a splendid one to beholdcichlidfan is a splendid one to behold

Thanks Luthier! Have a safe trip home.
ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme 4GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, Saitek Trim Wheel, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1
cichlidfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 04:45 PM   #5
Dooyar

Reputation power: 5
Dooyar will become famous soon enoughDooyar will become famous soon enoughDooyar will become famous soon enoughDooyar will become famous soon enough

Good to hear from you Ilya. Thanks for the shots.

Edit: Oh man, that P-47 instrument panel..................

Last edited by Dooyar; 11-01-2013 at 04:49 PM.
Dooyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 04:46 PM   #6
SiThSpAwN
Community Manager

Reputation power: 79
SiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via Skype™ to SiThSpAwN

Well that was an update well worth the wait

It's not the opinion that breaks the rules, its the delivery of that opinion • ED Product TermsED External Communication Policy example
Veteran of the DCS WWII July update thread of Two Thousand Fourteen • You're so vain, I bet you think this post is about you. • "I find your lack of faith disturbing"
SiThSpAwN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 04:47 PM   #7
bongodriver+
Banned

Reputation power: 8
bongodriver is a jewel in the roughbongodriver is a jewel in the roughbongodriver is a jewel in the roughbongodriver is a jewel in the roughbongodriver is a jewel in the roughbongodriver is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiThSpAwN View Post
Well that was an update well worth the wait
Yeah but now everyone is going to think it happened because they whinged hard enough.......strewth!
bongodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 04:48 PM   #8
Blaze

Reputation power: 95
Blaze is a splendid one to beholdBlaze is a splendid one to beholdBlaze is a splendid one to beholdBlaze is a splendid one to beholdBlaze is a splendid one to beholdBlaze is a splendid one to beholdBlaze is a splendid one to beholdBlaze is a splendid one to beholdBlaze is a splendid one to beholdBlaze is a splendid one to beholdBlaze is a splendid one to beholdBlaze is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongodriver View Post
Yeah but now everyone is going to think it happened because they whinged hard enough.......strewth!
Well the reasons for the delay were stated and clearly understandable. Beyond that, anyone still upset needs to step away from the PC and get some fresh air outside.

And did I mention, DANG! Those models are simply stunning! *drool*

Design is all about finding solutions within constraints. If there were no constraints, it's not design — it's art.
Blaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 04:50 PM   #9
DerHesse70

Reputation power: 0
DerHesse70 is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice stuff!
DerHesse70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 04:50 PM   #10
Harakou

Reputation power: 3
Harakou is on a distinguished road

Oh my, look at those pits... beautiful!

Loving the flooded terrain too; looks much better than before!
Harakou is offline   Reply With Quote