Notices

Old 10-09-2013, 03:29 AM   #1
Smoky

Reputation power: 6
Smoky will become famous soon enoughSmoky will become famous soon enoughSmoky will become famous soon enoughSmoky will become famous soon enough
Default DCS A10C Warthog throttle problem - need help!

Hi folks

Posting this for a buddy of mine. He is having issues with his new Warthog HOTAS

I've surfed on this a bit here and on simhq and am not finding a solution to his problem, though the issue is documented no one seems to provide a solution, just a workaround.

On cold and dark start his throttles will not respond. To make them work he has to use the cheat startup and wait for the engines to spin up. Once the engines spin up then he says his throttles work properly.

I have read about workarounds to assign a keyboard control to fix this but we want to know if there is a solution that gets his throttle working as intended, which would mean that even on a cold/dark start that he should see throttle axis response in-game without using the startup cheat to get the engines to spin up.

We have tried:
-deleting and resetting the throttle lua file (he does not have an old version installed)
-removing all other peripherals/extra controllers (he was using his clubsport pedals for rudder but they seemed to grabbing the same axis designation)
-unchecking/checking the sync hotas controls checkbox
-TARGET is NOT installed
-HOTAS firmware is up to date
-DCS is patched with the latest version using the auto updater
-verifying no conflicting axis assignments in the joysticks settings for DCS A10C
-rebooting
-moving the throttle and stick to a different USB hub/port

He says his flight stick works fine. All switches and buttons respond in-game. Windows reports all controls as present and working. And he can even clear and then reassign the axis in DCS settings. But nothing makes his throttle work unless he uses cheat mode to spin up the engines first.

I think I covered everything. We tried so many things I may have skipped something.

Any ideas on what else we can try so I can get my buddy in the air with a properly working setup?

Thanks a bunch!
Smoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 04:47 AM   #2
Rongor

Reputation power: 7
Rongor is a jewel in the roughRongor is a jewel in the roughRongor is a jewel in the roughRongor is a jewel in the roughRongor is a jewel in the roughRongor is a jewel in the roughRongor is a jewel in the rough

Please verify that both throttle levers are resting in their cutoff position, the lifted detent fully back...

when not using autostart, dont the levers ingame move at all, or do they show synchronized movement but engines don't start?
Old 10-09-2013, 04:49 AM   #3
Smoky

Reputation power: 6
Smoky will become famous soon enoughSmoky will become famous soon enoughSmoky will become famous soon enoughSmoky will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the quick reply!

Yes he said both throttles were in the cutoff detent.

The levers ingame do not move at all unless he uses the startup cheat and waits for the engines to spool up. After that the ingame throttles do move with the HOTAS movement.
Smoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 05:01 AM   #4
Rongor

Reputation power: 7
Rongor is a jewel in the roughRongor is a jewel in the roughRongor is a jewel in the roughRongor is a jewel in the roughRongor is a jewel in the roughRongor is a jewel in the roughRongor is a jewel in the rough

Ok, if he says so, we don't want to doubt his words.
Never heard of this problem with the TM HOTAS Warthog. It is regularly plug and play. If you can exclude any misinterpretation or misuse by your friend, we have a problem. But then I would see the responsibility at TM instead of ED. Refund or exchange. This isnt cheap hardware. It should work as intended.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:53 AM   #5
Modulus

Reputation power: 4
Modulus is on a distinguished road

When in the DCS configuration -> axis assignment -> axis tune do the throttles behave correctly?

In windows under the "game controllers", does the throttle work correctly? Do the buttons 29 & 30 light up when the throttle is moved the cutoff detent? Do 29 and 30 turn off when move out of the cutoff detent?

In the game, if he uses the keyboard to move the in-game throttle off of the cutoff detent does the HOTAS throttle still not work? Or does only work if he uses the auto-start-up?
Modulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:55 AM   #6
AhSoul

Reputation power: 2
AhSoul is on a distinguished roadAhSoul is on a distinguished road

I have something similar. My WH HOTAS throttles are fully back. I move one forward and the game doesn't detect. I have to move it back and try again and THEN it works.

Very annoying....

Soul's pit thread
AhSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:39 AM   #7
Flagrum
Veteran

Reputation power: 17
Flagrum is a glorious beacon of lightFlagrum is a glorious beacon of lightFlagrum is a glorious beacon of lightFlagrum is a glorious beacon of lightFlagrum is a glorious beacon of lightFlagrum is a glorious beacon of lightFlagrum is a glorious beacon of lightFlagrum is a glorious beacon of lightFlagrum is a glorious beacon of lightFlagrum is a glorious beacon of light

What is your setting under Options/Misc/"Synchronise Cockpit Controls with HOTAS Controls at Mission Start"? Enabled/Disabled?

Ka-50 * (AH-1F) * ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ * UH-1H * A-10C

Flagrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:58 AM   #8
AhSoul

Enabled

Soul's pit thread
Old 10-09-2013, 11:24 AM   #9
Flagrum
Veteran

Reputation power: 17
Flagrum is a glorious beacon of lightFlagrum is a glorious beacon of lightFlagrum is a glorious beacon of lightFlagrum is a glorious beacon of lightFlagrum is a glorious beacon of lightFlagrum is a glorious beacon of lightFlagrum is a glorious beacon of lightFlagrum is a glorious beacon of lightFlagrum is a glorious beacon of lightFlagrum is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by AhSoul View Post
Enabled
This should synchronize the cockpit with your current HOTAS - which might be impossible at certain situations (i.e. cold start, but your EAC is enabled).

So, what happens, if you try it the other way around? I.e. disable that option and make sure that your HOTAS matches the cockpit manually.

Ka-50 * (AH-1F) * ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ * UH-1H * A-10C

Flagrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:29 AM   #10
AhSoul

If I load up on the ramp with EAC on and APU on those switches are correctly put in the right place in the cockpit. So it's synching. It seems to be only throttle position that does not.

I wonder if it's a bug in a recent patch, as I'm sure this didn't used to be an issue....

Soul's pit thread