Notices

Old 10-08-2013, 11:52 PM   #1
Highwayman-Ed

Reputation power: 21
Highwayman-Ed is a glorious beacon of lightHighwayman-Ed is a glorious beacon of lightHighwayman-Ed is a glorious beacon of lightHighwayman-Ed is a glorious beacon of lightHighwayman-Ed is a glorious beacon of lightHighwayman-Ed is a glorious beacon of lightHighwayman-Ed is a glorious beacon of lightHighwayman-Ed is a glorious beacon of lightHighwayman-Ed is a glorious beacon of lightHighwayman-Ed is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to Highwayman-Ed
Default Improved Villages Mod

All files, links and screenshots updated, all taken with Diveplane's Shadows, Mustang's Clouds, PeterP's HDR and SweetFX 1.4 with PeterP's settings in Spring.

Recommended for Helicopter Pilots;
My original version with blended textures from Toby23's Low'n'Slow and Enhanced Terrain Mod & Rocky's Trees here (321MB) in JSGME format;

or

Toby23's Low'n'Slow & Rocky's DTAC Trees with this version here (392MB)

Recommended for Fighter Jocks;

Rocky's DTAC Terrain & Trees with this version here (842MB)

or

Toby23's Enhanced Terrain & Rocky's Trees with this version here (341MB)

or

Foxbeard's Terrain & Rocky's DTAC Trees with this version - Removed due to claims of Plagiarism (T@ker -> Foxbeard)

All versions are JSGME and 1.2.7 compatible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwayman-Ed View Post
Hey guys, I've been playing around with ideas for years on how to improve the towns and villages in DCS ever since I really started flying very low with DCS Black Shark as whilst the town textures look great flying an F-15 at 20,000ft, they're not so great in a helicopter at 50ft. All of my initial work hinged on aligning the 3D objects in game (houses, warehouses, etc) with the textures of the towns and adding additional 3D objects where needed to bring them to life, as it turns out I've been looking at it the wrong way!

Inspired to start work on this idea again by Rocky and Toby23's excellent terrain mods, I started playing around with the textures themselves and have created a mod compatible with both of these as well as the standard DCS terrain.

I have a lot of ideas on how to further improve these textures and add a lot more details, but for now I plan to release the current version and get some flying hours in again as I've been so focused on building these textures for the past month I've hardly logged any time on stick at all!

Below are some of the images of the new Towns and Villages that are in the final stages of testing with the boys and girls at the 229th Assault Helicopter Battalion before I release them, shown with Stock, Rocky's DTAC and Toby23's Low & Slow Mod. I hope to have them available by the weekend.
First, here is the stock DCS without any Terrain mods:
Spoiler:

Here is what the mod looks like with my version:
Spoiler:

Here is what the mod looks like with Toby23's Low'n'Slow:
Spoiler:

Here with Rocky's DTAC Terrain & Trees:
Spoiler:

Here it is with Toby23's Enhanced Terrain
Spoiler:

Here it is with Foxbeard's Terrain Mod
Spoiler:

Intel i7-5820 Hexacore @3.8GHz
MSI X99A Godlike Gaming Carbon
32GB G.Skill Trident DDR3200 RAM
MSI 8GB GTX1080 Founders Edition
65" Panasonic TH-65AX800A @ 4K
Oculus Rift CV1
Windows 10 64 Bit Home Edition

Last edited by Highwayman-Ed; 08-01-2014 at 11:21 AM.
Highwayman-Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:05 AM   #2
flanker1

Reputation power: 18
flanker1 is just really niceflanker1 is just really niceflanker1 is just really niceflanker1 is just really niceflanker1 is just really niceflanker1 is just really niceflanker1 is just really niceflanker1 is just really niceflanker1 is just really nice

amazing work. a really nice and fantastic add on. waiting for that for years now. . . thanks in advance!
flanker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:14 AM   #3
GregP

Reputation power: 19
GregP is just really niceGregP is just really niceGregP is just really niceGregP is just really niceGregP is just really niceGregP is just really niceGregP is just really niceGregP is just really niceGregP is just really nice

Yes, that looks incredible! Can't wait to try it out.
i5-2500K @ 4.8 GHz / Asus P8P67 Pro / 16GB DDR3-1600 / 2xGTX 980 Ti 6GB / Sound Blaster Z / Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / TrackIR5 / MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals / Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog + MFDs / CH Products Throttle Quadrant / X-Keys XK-80 / X-Keys Professional / Panasonic TC-58AX800U 58" 4K TV

DCS: A-10C Startup & Takeoff |DCS: Mi-8MTV2 Startup & Takeoff |
DCS: A-10C 5-Minute Startup on 4K Screen |
DCS on a 55" 4K TV | How to setup a T-shaped, 4-screen display
GregP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 01:16 AM   #4
Samek

Reputation power: 4
Samek will become famous soon enoughSamek will become famous soon enoughSamek will become famous soon enoughSamek will become famous soon enough

Just what I was thinking it'd be cool to have! Great mod!
Old 10-09-2013, 02:12 AM   #5
aaron886

Reputation power: 58
aaron886 is a splendid one to beholdaaron886 is a splendid one to beholdaaron886 is a splendid one to beholdaaron886 is a splendid one to beholdaaron886 is a splendid one to beholdaaron886 is a splendid one to beholdaaron886 is a splendid one to beholdaaron886 is a splendid one to beholdaaron886 is a splendid one to beholdaaron886 is a splendid one to beholdaaron886 is a splendid one to beholdaaron886 is a splendid one to behold

Looks great! Thanks!!
aaron886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 05:12 AM   #6
zaelu
Veteran

Reputation power: 30
zaelu is a glorious beacon of lightzaelu is a glorious beacon of lightzaelu is a glorious beacon of lightzaelu is a glorious beacon of lightzaelu is a glorious beacon of lightzaelu is a glorious beacon of lightzaelu is a glorious beacon of lightzaelu is a glorious beacon of lightzaelu is a glorious beacon of lightzaelu is a glorious beacon of light

I see you removed the 2D pictures of villages... those with flattened hoses. Is that correct? How is seen from distance when 10-20 such small villages should appear?

Spoiler:

MoBo ASRock Z87 Pro3
CPU Intel Core i5 4670K 3.4GHz
RAM Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB DDR3 1600MHz CL8 Dual Channel Kit
VGA Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 Gaming G1 4GB DDR5
2xSSD drives 1xSSDSamsung 250GB SATA-III 850 and SSD Intel 160GB SATA-III A2M
OpenTrack 2.3 Headtracking with 3point clip handmade and PS3 Eye camera
HOTAS Logitech G940 controller moded with BU0836 controller
Mouse Razer Mamba
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Laser Keyboard 6000
Monitor Benq 24" full HD
OS Win7 64 bit
zaelu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 05:46 AM   #7
Highwayman-Ed

Reputation power: 21
Highwayman-Ed is a glorious beacon of lightHighwayman-Ed is a glorious beacon of lightHighwayman-Ed is a glorious beacon of lightHighwayman-Ed is a glorious beacon of lightHighwayman-Ed is a glorious beacon of lightHighwayman-Ed is a glorious beacon of lightHighwayman-Ed is a glorious beacon of lightHighwayman-Ed is a glorious beacon of lightHighwayman-Ed is a glorious beacon of lightHighwayman-Ed is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to Highwayman-Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaelu View Post
I see you removed the 2D pictures of villages... those with flattened hoses. Is that correct? How is seen from distance when 10-20 such small villages should appear?
Effectively, yes I removed the existing textures containing the 2D village textures and replaced them with new ones with tree bases, dirt roads and some other small details which align with the structures.

As for how it looks when 10-20 should appear from a distance, the second and third images of each version show approximately 30 of these village tiles together.

Intel i7-5820 Hexacore @3.8GHz
MSI X99A Godlike Gaming Carbon
32GB G.Skill Trident DDR3200 RAM
MSI 8GB GTX1080 Founders Edition
65" Panasonic TH-65AX800A @ 4K
Oculus Rift CV1
Windows 10 64 Bit Home Edition

Last edited by Highwayman-Ed; 10-09-2013 at 06:28 AM.
Highwayman-Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:26 AM   #8
chromium
3rd Party Developer

Reputation power: 19
chromium is just really nicechromium is just really nicechromium is just really nicechromium is just really nicechromium is just really nicechromium is just really nicechromium is just really nicechromium is just really nicechromium is just really nice

Great Idea, highly appreciated
The thing is, helicopters are different from planes. An airplane by it's nature wants to fly, and if not interfered with too strongly by unusual events or by a deliberately incompetent pilot, it will fly. A helicopter does not want to fly. It is maintained in the air by a variety of forces in opposition to each other, and if there is any disturbance in this delicate balance the helicopter stops flying; immediately and disastrously.
chromium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:34 AM   #9
zaelu
Veteran

Reputation power: 30
zaelu is a glorious beacon of lightzaelu is a glorious beacon of lightzaelu is a glorious beacon of lightzaelu is a glorious beacon of lightzaelu is a glorious beacon of lightzaelu is a glorious beacon of lightzaelu is a glorious beacon of lightzaelu is a glorious beacon of lightzaelu is a glorious beacon of lightzaelu is a glorious beacon of light

Looks interesting. Looking forwards to try it when is ready.

Spoiler:

MoBo ASRock Z87 Pro3
CPU Intel Core i5 4670K 3.4GHz
RAM Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB DDR3 1600MHz CL8 Dual Channel Kit
VGA Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 Gaming G1 4GB DDR5
2xSSD drives 1xSSDSamsung 250GB SATA-III 850 and SSD Intel 160GB SATA-III A2M
OpenTrack 2.3 Headtracking with 3point clip handmade and PS3 Eye camera
HOTAS Logitech G940 controller moded with BU0836 controller
Mouse Razer Mamba
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Laser Keyboard 6000
Monitor Benq 24" full HD
OS Win7 64 bit
zaelu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:54 AM   #10
Lizzard

Reputation power: 10
Lizzard is just really niceLizzard is just really niceLizzard is just really niceLizzard is just really niceLizzard is just really niceLizzard is just really niceLizzard is just really niceLizzard is just really niceLizzard is just really nice

finally some improvement on the Villages The WIP Shots look great so far..but I wonder If it would be possible to add some parking places, forecourts or stuff like that...so you don`t have just Buildings on the green Fields

Anyway great Job, and I am looking forward to this!