Notices

View Poll Results: Do you guys see a FPS impact when flying Mi-8?
YES! Got an even better framerate with Mi-8 than with other modules 9 9.00%
NO. Can't see any difference. 45 45.00%
YES. I have a slightly lower fps but it is not a big deal. 28 28.00%
YES. Mi-8 is hitting real hard on my fps. Not a pleasant experience. 18 18.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-06-2013, 08:41 AM   #1
BaD CrC
ED Translator

Reputation power: 23
BaD CrC is a glorious beacon of lightBaD CrC is a glorious beacon of lightBaD CrC is a glorious beacon of lightBaD CrC is a glorious beacon of lightBaD CrC is a glorious beacon of lightBaD CrC is a glorious beacon of lightBaD CrC is a glorious beacon of lightBaD CrC is a glorious beacon of lightBaD CrC is a glorious beacon of lightBaD CrC is a glorious beacon of light
Default FPS and Mi-8: your experience?

Wanted to know if the initial release of this chopper is hitting as hard your FPS as for me. Use to fly at 18 to 25 fps. Mi-8 is leaving me with a constant 8 to 10 fps (SP and MP). Barely playable. At least not very pleasant experience.
i7 4770K @4.5 Ghz, Asus Maximus VI Formula C2, 16Go Corsair Platinium DDR3 2666, SSD Sandisk Extreme II 480Go, WD Velociraptor 10k 1To, 2* GTX780Ti DCUII, Corsair PSU 1200i 1,2kw, full watercooling CPU+VRM+GPUs, Track IR 5, TM Warthog

BaD CrC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:45 AM   #2
TurboHog

Reputation power: 14
TurboHog is a glorious beacon of lightTurboHog is a glorious beacon of lightTurboHog is a glorious beacon of lightTurboHog is a glorious beacon of lightTurboHog is a glorious beacon of lightTurboHog is a glorious beacon of lightTurboHog is a glorious beacon of lightTurboHog is a glorious beacon of lightTurboHog is a glorious beacon of lightTurboHog is a glorious beacon of light

Tried the mission Stray Eagle from the Huey.

Huey: 13-14 FPS on FARP
Mi-8: 7-8 FPS on FARP

The Mi-8 is great but I didn't read the min system specs (Higher than Huey) and now I'm stuck with a product that I can barely fly.

JTAC integration for the KA-50 And KA-50 JTAC training. Version 1.5 for DCSW 1.2.6+ released.
TurboHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:07 AM   #3
eurofor

Reputation power: 13
eurofor is just really niceeurofor is just really niceeurofor is just really niceeurofor is just really niceeurofor is just really niceeurofor is just really niceeurofor is just really niceeurofor is just really nice

Haven't noticed any difference.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:11 AM   #4
Knils_de

Reputation power: 0
Knils_de is on a distinguished road

My experience is that after some auto-updater updates, my fps goes down. Some modules more then other.
If I do a all new install with the newest versions downloaded from the dcs site, it's all good again. World + Modules
For example p51 inside cockpit around 27 - 32 fps, after a new install 45 - 50 fps again.
Don't know why but for me that works. Could be the same with the Mi-8.

Cheers
Nils
Knils_de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:39 AM   #5
TurboHog

TurboHog is a glorious beacon of lightTurboHog is a glorious beacon of lightTurboHog is a glorious beacon of lightTurboHog is a glorious beacon of lightTurboHog is a glorious beacon of lightTurboHog is a glorious beacon of lightTurboHog is a glorious beacon of lightTurboHog is a glorious beacon of lightTurboHog is a glorious beacon of lightTurboHog is a glorious beacon of light

Allright. I'm going to install it from scratch.

From saved games I've deleted input, Logs, data. Should I delete anything else or does it nor make any difference?

JTAC integration for the KA-50 And KA-50 JTAC training. Version 1.5 for DCSW 1.2.6+ released.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:26 AM   #6
Rotorhead

Reputation power: 7
Rotorhead is just really niceRotorhead is just really niceRotorhead is just really niceRotorhead is just really niceRotorhead is just really niceRotorhead is just really niceRotorhead is just really niceRotorhead is just really nice

Hello, guys.

Not that I've done some serious testing, but when sitting in the cockpit, there's no noticeable difference I can speak of. My frame rate sits at its 30FPS limit most of the time, except when looking at some busy scenes - just like in the Huey.

However, there's always however.

Looking at the Hip from close-up external view, my FPS drops to some 25-22. Yes, I have higher FPS in cockpit than outside!

Flying with another Hip in close formation, or landing next to it, same thing. Turning off the heat blur, as well as switching off all the external lights, no noticeable improvement. Only reason I can think of is a high poly count of the Mi-8 external model.

Which leads me towards interesting conclusion. I can have all the fancy stuff switched on in DCS, like shadows, water reflections, heat blur, hell even mirrors, and still get decent FPS. But putting one high-poly object in front of the camera ruins my FPS no matter how low I set everything else.

Isn't that weird?
Rotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:45 AM   #7
Harrysound

Reputation power: 2
Harrysound will become famous soon enoughHarrysound will become famous soon enoughHarrysound will become famous soon enough

Seriously , some of you guy put up with under 20fps in DCS World?
That really sucks.
Harrysound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:49 AM   #8
TurboHog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrysound View Post
Seriously , some of you guy put up with under 20fps in DCS World?
That really sucks.
You get used to it. 20 Is actually pretty smooth. At 24 FPS the human eye can not see frames anymore. So 24 FPS looks the same as 100FPS.

It gets annoying below 15 FPS.

Old 09-06-2013, 12:06 PM   #9
TimeKilla

Reputation power: 15
TimeKilla is a glorious beacon of lightTimeKilla is a glorious beacon of lightTimeKilla is a glorious beacon of lightTimeKilla is a glorious beacon of lightTimeKilla is a glorious beacon of lightTimeKilla is a glorious beacon of lightTimeKilla is a glorious beacon of lightTimeKilla is a glorious beacon of lightTimeKilla is a glorious beacon of lightTimeKilla is a glorious beacon of light

I placed one Mi-8 in the ME once loaded the frames were at there highest 50 down to 25 when I looked at a certain building while in the cockpit changing to the F2 view gave me 30-40 frames so not sure the model is really the issue here.

As this is just like the Huey for me so not a big change it just feels like 1.2.6 when running a real mission or being on multi player doesn't cut it that well.
TimeKilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:12 PM   #10
Paradox

Reputation power: 4
Paradox has a spectacular aura aboutParadox has a spectacular aura aboutParadox has a spectacular aura aboutParadox has a spectacular aura aboutParadox has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboHog View Post
You get used to it. 20 Is actually pretty smooth. At 24 FPS the human eye can not see frames anymore. So 24 FPS looks the same as 100FPS.

It gets annoying below 15 FPS.
This is measurably untrue. Your eyes don't have a refresh rate, they are able to distinguish smooth transitions and non-smooth transitions from one image to the next. Most people start to top out at around 140fps, not 24.

A stable 20fps might appear 'better' than a fluctuating between 40 and 20 but a stable 60 (or 120 if you have a 120hz monitor) is optimal (although hard to get in DCS)

TV shows are at 24fps (NTSC) or 25fps (PAL) but they appear smooth because the frame transition is smoothed or blurred.
Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote