"LASTE wind correction is non-functional" = common knowledge?

Flagrum

There are several threads about weapon employment under windy conditions that also discuss the LASTE wind correction feature - how to set it up and use it, it's effectiveness and especially that it is actually nothing but broken.

Videos, tracks, opinions for every side - when you read these threads, the final conclusion is ... nobody really knows for sure what state the LASTE wind correction actually is in.

How can we bring more light into this matter? At least one of the ED Testing Team, I think it was Eddie?, is more than convinced that the LASTE wind correction is not functional - as there is still an open bug report in their database.

Now, when I go to the LASTE wind edit page of the CDU, I see the current measured wind. That is the data that goes into the IFFCC for the default wind correction, right? But if I now enter wind layers in the CDU, that data shown also changes accordingly. Isn't that a clue that the entered data also changes the computed solution of the IFFCC? Because when I now look at my HUD, I see that the CCIP/CCRP pipper in fact moved accordingly!

Now, here my research comes to a stall so to say... I could just drop a bomb now and see if I hit my target, right? Well, actually I don't ... but I am unsure of the reason. I am actually having even trouble in no-wind conditions to hit something with dumb bombs... I account that for piloting errors mainly, but, yeah, dunno. Could also be (very likely) that my test conditions are too far off of any realistic weather conditions that LASTE would be capable to correct for ...

So, Eddie (or anyone else), what is the exact nature of the LASTE wind correction problems here? Up to the pipper placement of the hud it seems to be somewhat functional?

It was non functional. And then a patch or two ago, as stated in the change logs it was fixed/implemented.

But what hasn't changed is that people do not understand its function/operation. And neither do they understand that in most circumstances, when correctly employing unguided weapons, manual wind data entry is not required as the IFFCC is always correcting for wind (and always has).

It seems that there *might* be an issue with IFFCC wind correction at present, but I haven't has time yet to test and either confirm or deny. But even if there is an issue, it is not a major one. Neither I, or anyone I fly with has encountered any noticeable reduction in weapon accuracy. And the fundemental problem is people not employing the aircraft or weapons correctly in the sim, but still expecting to obtain real world weapon and aircraft performance. Or in some cases not actually understanding how effective, or ineffective, some weapons are.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

It was non functional. And then a patch or two ago, as stated in the change logs it was fixed/implemented.

This was not clear to me as the change log only mentioned "wind data entry" if I recall correctly. But that was the reason I - and others - started to experiment with it again.

But what hasn't changed is that people do not understand its function/operation. And neither do they understand that in most circumstances, when correctly employing unguided weapons, manual wind data entry is not required as the IFFCC is always correcting for wind (and always has).

As I learned from one of your postings, the default IFFCC wind model takes the wind at the current altitude and reduces it linearily(sp?) down to 0 at altitude -4000 ft.

But how does the IFFCC wind model look like if the manually entered CDU wind layers are taken into account? The displayed current wind data in the CDU is replaced by a value derieved from the manual data and I would guess, that then the default formular (see above) is applied again. Because when the aircraft now changes its altitude and enters a different wind layer (as defined in the CDU), one can observe sudden changes in the "calculated current wind". So my conclusion would be that the actual layers do not directly influence the wind model which is used to calculate the weapon solution? If that is the intended behaviour, it is, well, not really effective.

Besides all that, I have problems to understand wind at all - I mean, how does the actual in-game wind conditions match to the defined parameters in the mission editor? I made some experiements but can't wrap my head around the data I gathered:

A) I flew at 15000 ft descending slowly while watching the CDU read-outs of the measured wind. Everytime the wind speed changed, I took note of the corresponding altitude. In the mission editor I set the three possible layers:

Sea level = 10 m/s

2000 m = 20 m/s

8000 m = 30 m/s

No turbulences, all the same direction

This is still more or less straight forward: the actual wind changes gradually at the layer boundaries. (sorry that I screwed up with the y-axis)

attachment.php?attachmentid=86659&stc=1&d=1377625406

B) But later I noticed some odd winds at lower altitudes that in my eyes are totally contrary to the IFFCC default wind model. So I set up only the first two layers in the ME to 40 kts. And this is what I measured in-game:

attachment.php?attachmentid=86829&stc=1&d=1377907436

Note: this might be a bit hard to see, but between 80 ft and 400 ft the wind got stronger almost every 5 ft. I could imagine that up to 400 ft the IFFCC default wind model was correct (except for the way to high wind at 400+ ft). I don't know, 60 kts, wtf? I definately had set 40 kts / 20 m/s in the ME.

Edited by Flagrum

Guys, please, read your own threads on this matter. Most of the questions you guys keep posing on wind correction and unguided munition delivery have been brought up and answered ad nauseum.

Example: http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1850234&postcount=20

If there are further questions that haven't been asked and answered then please keep them in the same thread so that you, those of us trying to answer, and others looking into the same subject stand even a small chance of keeping up with what is going on.

Honestly, and while I mean this in the nicest way possible, I (and others) are getting really tired of answering the same old questions on this subject time and again, and continually seeing our previous responses ignored.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

Honestly, and while I mean this in the nicest way possible, I (and others) are getting really tired of answering the same old questions on this subject time and again, and continually seeing our previous responses ignored.

The thing is with all the times that this question has been posed, that post you quoted is the only time I've ever seen the Wind page described in its real function in straight forward terms. Everything has been something like "It doesn't work, ignore it" or mostly conjecture mixed in with a lot "you're confused about what it should be doing".

In all fairness there being a single post that concisely answers the simple question "wtf does this thing do exactly?" is something a lot of people, including me, will miss. It was at the end of a page followed by 2 pages of "zomg they broke something!". I wouldn't call that ad nauseum. I'd call that the first time anybody ever described what it does in actual fact.

Warning: Nothing I say is automatically correct, even if I think it is.