Froogles First Impressions

metheluckydonut

Hey Guys,

After quite some time of just reading the forums i finally decided to sign up. :)

Anyway, i just saw the first impressions video from frooglesim and it actually made me a little angry.

(Link removed)

He is talking about the flight model being completely off and landing being almost impossible. He also says that he wouldn't recommend buying it. The concerning part is that he is a writer for PcPilot and has a relatively big following and with that could set off alot of potential buyers.

I'm not hating on anyone just thought to let you (and Belsimtek) know.

Edited by metheluckydonut

DCS Wishlist: Ka 26

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Normally he does quite good reviews, but this one is really off.

Maybe he is too used to the too stable helicopters in FSX.

i7-10700K 3.8-5.1Ghz, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 12GB, 1 x 1 TB SSD, 2 x 2TB SSD2 TB,  1 x 2 TBHDD 7200 RPM, Win10 Home 64bit, Meta Quest 3.

Yeah, he basically compares it to FSX helos. I love his reviews, but with Huey looks like he missed the point. It is possible to do what you see on Huey videos in sim. Yes you have all the micromanagement of flight controls during the flight, but hey isn't it like in real helo? I think it is, at least it feels right.

Being a fan of Froogle, I thoroughly enjoy his videos, although this was a bit of a let down, I do have to agree that there was a fair bit of 'stick-stirring' and the "flight model being completely off" was way way out of the ballpark, a bit of a disappointment to be honest :(

"If the MWS didn't see it, it didn't happen"

Oh boy. Here we go.

First up, to address the first poster here, I am not reviewing this product for the magazine, and typically we don't do full "reviews" of beta products anyway.

Next, My recommendation was that given the current state that being that it is in beta and that there are still issues with the flight model that Belsimtek have acknowledged I would not Urge people to rush out and buy it unless they are either very into the helicopter or felt compelled to in some way support the product's development (as I do, since I bought it).

It was a first impressions video, to address SimFreak's comment there, and so yes it was somewhat rushed and not up to the in depth standards of say the 737 series of videos I have made.

Finally, to answer fjacbosen, my experience with simulated helicopters is primarily in X-Plane and of course with DCS Black Shark (which I have also done a few videos on teaching people how to fly it through the phases they are struggling with). Outside of simulation my only experience with helicopters is with the 4 radio control scale ones sitting on the shelf behind me.

With all that said, and as I said in the video, there are still issues with it. I made the video because people have been asking me to and I gave my honest opinion of it as a customer. I am a big fan of DCS in general despite the ongoing list of bugs throughout the platform (netcode, weapon performance, AI performance etc etc). I am very keen on the Huey, but do not feel the product today is at the stage where I would actively encourage people to buy it.

I'm sure that will change and I'm certain to post follow up videos as a result.

Free fully voiced checklists for the A-10C and KA-50

http://www.monkeyfoot.com/tapcheck

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

froogle,

Now sure how you can review something with not putting time in it...your control was sloppy and over-correcting. You said things cannot be accomplished when others have no issues..... how can you give recommendation without having clue yourself.... ?

Froogle, the Huey actually has a stability augmentation mechanism, although it's not electric like the SCAS on Cobra or TwinHuey. It's mechanical - the stabilizer bar act as stability augmentation system of sorts.

As for the first impressions video, personally can't see anything wrong with your point of view and conclusions, although would rather like to see you there not abusing the trim, I found it to be trying to kill me more often than help, might be the source of your problems with both take-off and landing.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"If a place needs helicopters, it's probably not worth visiting." - Nick Lappos

froogle,

Now sure how you can review something with not putting time in it...your control was sloppy and over-correcting. You said things cannot be accomplished when others have no issues..... how can you give recommendation without having clue yourself.... ?

Agreed - sloppy control, over correcting - I think I even said that right at the start after I screwed up the take off.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Froogle, the Huey actually has a stability augmentation mechanism, although it's not electric like the SCAS on Cobra or TwinHuey. It's mechanical - the stabilizer bar act as stability augmentation system of sorts.

As for the first impressions video, personally can't see anything wrong with your point of view and conclusions, although would rather like to see you there not abusing the trim, I found it to be trying to kill me more often than help, might be the source of your problems with both take-off and landing.

Probably right and I'll certainly be paying a lot more attention to that in any subsequent videos looking in detail at this aircraft. Thanks for the feedback.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

De-Abonned his channel.

Just declaring this product as bad because he can't fly it properly doesn't make a neutrall review.

Totally agree with you there it takes days be learn to fly the Huey looks like he thinks he should be able to jump on and master it right away. Well there's a game mode included for just that.

No offensive buddy but i think you need to give it more time.

:joystick: YouTube :pilotfly:

TimeKilla on Flight Sims over at YouTube.

@Froogle - Unfortunately it appears you gave an opinion utilizing the Huey as you would an FSX model (flying from point A to point B). That is not where this amazing little product by Belsimtek shines. Take the time to download one of the Huey drop missions and take this baby for a real test spin (dropping troops off in a hot LZ). The enjoyment never ceases (especially in the MP environment). While I respect your opinion your review was somewhat weak into the capabilities of this study sim.

Totally agree with you there it takes days be learn to fly the Huey looks like he thinks he should be able to jump on and master it right away. Well there's a game mode included for just that.

No offensive buddy but i think you need to give it more time.

Thanks will certainly do that.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

@Froogle - Unfortunately it appears you gave an opinion utilizing the Huey as you would an FSX model (flying from point A to point B). That is not where this amazing little product by Belsimtek shines. Take the time to download one of the Huey drop missions and take this baby for a real test spin (dropping troops off in a hot LZ). The enjoyment never ceases (especially in the MP environment). While I respect your opinion your review was somewhat weak into the capabilities of this study sim.

Thanks, I'll check them out.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks for at least taking on board what we have to say the DCS Huey isn't the type of helicopter that you can learn to fly in the first day there have been improvements to the Flight model since release also.

If you do give it some more time you might just start to love it that's if you have free time but defo not just a pick up and fly module.

:joystick: YouTube :pilotfly:

TimeKilla on Flight Sims over at YouTube.

Try to learn in Take On Helicopters, next take UH-1H from Belsimtek I think.

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Thanks for at least taking on board what we have to say the DCS Huey isn't the type of helicopter that you can learn to fly in the first day there have been improvements to the Flight model since release also.

If you do give it some more time you might just start to love it that's if you have free time but defo not just a pick up and fly module.

Not a problem at all. In fact, I'd like to address a few misconceptions if I may. First, and perhaps most importantly, this is a First Impressions video (one in fact that I'm considering taking down as I have no desire to offend a bunch of people). If you go through my channel you'll see that First Impressions are invariably just that - a view into what your first impressions may be should you also fire a product up. I *ONLY* do first impressions videos though on products that I actually really want to spend a lot of time with and they are nearly always followed up with highly detailed in depth tutorials that, frankly, you won't find anywhere else. For example my 737 series with over a quarter of a million views now, and the rapidly growing airbus series.

Second, I have flown a lot of simulated helicopters and no, not in FSX. This felt very very wrong to me on many levels, but as I said I'm not a Huey pilot so I'll take it as read that I must have just made a mistake here. To that end I will be spending a lot more time in it (and as I said in the video I personally am very excited by this product and its potential).

Happy to take on board constructive feedback and more than willing to completely change my view of something if I'm wrong. Not so keen on trolls and hate mail though - I've worked very hard to keep that YouTube channel troll free and a source of good information. This particular video, it's sounding like, is not a source of good information so I'm sitting here pondering what to do about it.

• Like 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You know what, I'm pulling the video down, so apologies to newcomers that click on the link in the first message since that won't go anywhere.

It's looking very much like I made some pretty poor mistakes in this video and as a result give a possibly incorrect view of the current state of the beta. So with that in mind the video is going down, and I'll revisit it at a later date.

Many thanks for all the feedback, and apologies for those who's blood pressure rose unduly.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

:thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]W10(64bit)Asus Rog Strix Z370-F - i7 8700K - Dark Rock Pro 4 - 16 giga ram Corsair vengeance 3000 - MSI RTX 2070 Super - Asus Rog Phobeus soundcard - Z906 Surround speaker - Track ir5 - HOTAS Warthog

Yeah, have to agree with a few posters here mate. You can't simply put up a video like that and expect people not to get their feathers a little ruffled (especially with the channel size you've got).

Most of us here have been putting in serious hours on this thing since it was available and are now only just getting to grips with this masterpiece. The fact you can't just point-and-squirt your way around is why this thing is so wonderful. It's difficult, it's unforgiving but when you nail that perfect takeoff, that dream landing... you walk away knowing you've achieved something.

You say you don't want trolls etc. but to be honest, you just troll'd us. Leave that stuff to 'Nerd3 does Dumpster Truck Sim'... hahaha

Update: Ok, I see you've removed the link. Put the hours in mate and then let us know what you think. Cheers.

i7-4790K@4.7GHz : EVGA 1070 SC : 16GB Corsair Vengence Pro : 2xEVO 840 SSD : EVGA 850W PSU : CORSAIR H100i Cooler : ASUS Z97-AR MB : CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D FULL TOWER

Yeah, have to agree with a few posters here mate. You can't simply put up a video like that and expect people not to get their feathers a little ruffled (especially with the channel size you've got).

Most of us here have been putting in serious hours on this thing since it was available and are now only just getting to grips with this masterpiece. The fact you can't just point-and-squirt your way around is why this thing is so wonderful. It's difficult, it's unforgiving but when you nail that perfect takeoff, that dream landing... you walk away knowing you've achieved something.

You say you don't want trolls etc. but to be honest, you just troll'd us. Leave that stuff to 'Nerd3 does Dumpster Truck Sim'... hahaha

Thanks for your feedback, but no I didn't troll you guys. That video was my honest opinion after spending quite a lot of time with the product since release. In fact, I was also one of the first people to live stream it after release. Regardless as I said, it appears I must be missing something here so down it goes, and back to the drawing board go I.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]