HDR with a 'D' like Dynamic for DCS 1.2.4

THIS MOD IS COMPATIBLE WITH DCS 1.2.6.

I want to offer you my edits that I use since DCS World 1.2.2...

I really don't know what happened to the 'D' in the HighDynamicRange Lightning effect of DCS.

For people that Don't know what I'm talking about : HDR in computer games

In a nutshell : HDR in CGI is simulating the closing of the iris of your eyes and readjusting to changing light-conditions because today's common displays don't have the needed brightness and contrast to trigger this natural view experience by their own.

Well , it's missing since 1.2.2 in DCS ... (edit)here is a answer:

BTW the reason this effect was removed was the prop on the P-51 introducing strobing effects when flying into the sun - not very good to have for epileptics playing.

Nate

...so I added a "Epilepsy Warning" to the ReadMe.txt.

Whatever - Please judge yourself if you want to use attached files:

BTW-now comes a little advertising: If you a curios what kind of view settings I'm using - because I have my virtual eyes so close to the head-rest when looking around >>>> Reworked Cockpit Views with proper Neck

Some additional info:

This mod is not made in the first instance for a nice look and taking 'dramatic' locking screen-shots - it's meant for in-cockpit use only - its made for realism , because no one would stare right in the sun more than he has to and I just want to reproduce this inconvenience everyone feels when doing it - simply because you temporally blinding yourself.

Getting blind = dark , and not bright.

Have a close look at the cockpit instruments - and you will see that in the default 1.2.4 setting they get brighter and better readable while you are blinded by the sun.... - it's the opposite in the real world - compare .

I also removed this (annoying) shine when no sun at all is visible.

>>> Sun glare through cockpit

(I didn't found a way to tell the shine/bloom that appears at the edges of the screen to stop only when obscured by cockpit/object structures - my shader effect editing skills are less than sufficient for this, and my time is too limited to dig deeper into it -but I know that it is sure possible with dx9c)

I don't say that it's perfect...

...,but please take a walk outside in the sun and make some experiments your own to see what is more realistic before starting an argument.

!!!:

For all that think they found a bug and want to post a report:

Save a track where you have seen this - than replay this track without this modification.

If this bug is still visible , it's definitely not caused by this mod.

Thanks.

And Keep in mind: The current 'Default-HDR' is still a can of worms.

Bug-report >>> HDR fails and got 'stuck' bug

- Doing it every-time like described above for any mod you are using will save you and the authors of a mod a lot of time.

A note about the HUEY :

for some kind of strange reason this effects is broken in the Huey cockpit after turning your head . - but this is no problem at all smile.gif - when it is 'broken' -Means : you will lost the dynamical lightning change - it looks very,very close to the default 1.2.4 effect - maybe even a little better biggrin.gif>>> http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=1791550#post1791550

a workaround to fix it is to alt-tab out and in (so the render gets reloaded and all shaders are reset), as long you use a 'fulscreen' setting.

The ReadMe.txt:

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

HDR with a 'D' like Dynamic for DCS WORLD - v.3.0

-all test are made with a DCS World 1.2.6 version

This Mod/Default comparison Video:

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Epilepsy Warning!

A very small percentage of individuals may experience epileptic seizures when exposed

to certain light patterns or flashing lights.

Exposure to certain patterns or backgrounds on a television screen or while playing video games

may induce an epileptic seizure in these individuals.

Certain conditions may induce previously undetected epileptic symptoms

even in persons who have no history of prior seizures or epilepsy.

If you, or anyone in your family, has an epileptic condition, consult your physician prior to playing.

If you experience any of the following while playing a video game – dizziness, altered vision,

eye or muscle twitches, loss of awareness, disorientation, any involuntary movement, or convulsions

– IMMEDIATELY discontinue use and consult your physician before resuming play.

Install this mod ONLY if you have read and understand this warning!

- This mod is JSGME compatible -

Manual installation :

Please open the "HDR with a 'D' like Dynamic for DCS WORLD" folder...

...inside this folder you find a

"DCS World" folder.

Please copy the

"DCS World" folder

in to the same path of your DCS world installation.

example target path: H:Program FilesEagle Dynamics...

and allow to overwrite.

More info and remarks about the UH-1H: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=1743489 READ!

-PeterP 26.06.213

File: HDR with a 'D' like Dynamic for 1.2.6 v.3.0.rar

Size: 683 Kb

[download]

And here are my recommended SweetFX settings that you should use together with this mod: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=1873475#post1873475

FAQ:

Q:I want to use this Mod on a Multi-monitor setup .

Just to clarify my understanding.... when you say that I have to use a single View-port matching my total in-game resolution you mean I should change my "monitorsetup.lua" similar to a "singelScreen" config , so my 'Center' Viewport covers the whole DCS render?....

A:yes - than you also need to change your default cockpit view to match this new center position .

have a look at the read-me of this following link to gather all needed info how to change your default-view:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=96116

and you also may need to create a black background behind some exports if you are using a populated Helios setup:

>>> #24

Keep in mind that this only works 'satisfying' on a vertical Screen arrangement.

Edited by PeterP

I'd like to add that making a small edit of the hdr.lua makes a difference (in Bazar\Effects\PostMotionEffect\options)

on lines 14 and 15:

hdr['minL'] = 1.0

hdr['maxL'] = 1.2

edit: I should of mentioned what this does, this adjusts the degree of sunglare as the eye retina adjusts to the sun, basically it won't go as dark but enough so there is a small amount.

Edited by Mustang

Please don't get me wrong Mustang,

I have always great respect for yourself and the community work you are doing, (I hope I found the right English words ;) sorry...its getting really late on my end and I'm even losing my own mother tongue.)

...but it also adds to much brightnesses to the middles - so the rays.tga becomes a big cluster while the darkening of the surrounding isn't matching.

- it sure looks nice on screen-shots but don't reflects what you are seeing with your own eyes.

Well , its all a artistic interpretation in the end.

Do you remember the Betelgeuse sized sun we had some moons ago? -

>>>

well, everything we have now is better that what we had and I really enjoyed to work with you together .

Maybe we can brainstorm something till the shader-graphic artists of ED find something better.

EDIT:

This mode is not made in the first instance for a nice look - its made for realism , because no one would stare right in the sun more than he has to and I just want to reproduce this inconvenience everyone feels when doing it - simply because you temporally blinding yourself.

Getting blind = dark , and not bright.

Have a close look at the cockpit instruments - and you will see that in the default 1.2.4 setting the get brighter and better readable while you are blinded by the sun.... - its the opposite in the real world.

Its even possible to higher the 'experience' by darkening the lows even more and of course higher the time-duration to get full sight again ,... but than the crowd would probably ask for a working sun-visor/sun-glasses :).

and I also experimented with a animated transparent texture that comes close to a visor - but it doesn't rally feels right and seems only like a artificial gimmick instead of a useful tool - maybe some 3party dev comes up with some enchantments.

Edited by PeterP
edits - alot of ! ;)

I think the human eye adjusts faster to the lighting changes then it does in your edit, any way i could change that?

First > :) < tsriF

Sure there is - its a computer-program, nothing is impossible - its all about time and (hardware)recurces- but let me ask also a question first:

Are you really confident about it ? ; did you used this mod long enough to make this decision that the darkening takes to long ?

I would like to invite to make two footsteps in my shoes (and I also let you know that I have tasted some good grog tonight..) , so:

Its very often the same procedure - you do something and than someone tells you how to make it better and also asks at the same time how it works... - without the slighted word of recognition or just a simple 'thanks'...

(I hope you catch my thought)

But that's not my problem..

Its all about time.

The edit you are asking is not that easy - just by turning a 'slider' and or changing a single value.

It has all be very good balanced to work and there are more than 3 parameters involved - and this can be a very time-consuming task.

You have to know - you change a value than you start your mission to see the changes - and than you redow it again - and so on.

and ther is simply no easy way to debug shader files when you don't have the surcecode . - so rewriting chunks of it becomes a real pain.

And now the punchline:

I'm not worried about your time to search for the right values - its about my time to explain it to you (in other words: write my knowledge down).

You have to know: I made it too often - just to get a reply in the end from the one that requested for info: "oh , thanks - I think I don't find time for it."

...start browsing this thread and watch out for my conversation with Corrigan and you get a idea what I mean and what I want to prevent.

>>> http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=1527419#post1527419

(it contains already a lot of info you are looking for when you start to read at post #1)

So please give me a brief info about your knowledge and if you already compared the edited files whit the original ones and if you can make any sense of it.

Than will see how I tell you to change the behaviour of the initial darkening while keeping the sun bright so you can start experimenting and you maybe can help out to make this mod work better as it is now.

And to be honest, these are not my inventions - this mod only restores a functionality that was used before 1.2.2 .

Edited by PeterP

Hey PeterP,

i can not make any use of your modification yet, but i thank you for doing this for other people.

Long story short, which program is used to edit .fx files? i find the rest out myself,

Thank you

Edit: Found it thanks, keep it up.

Edited by ericoh
  • Like 1

Very nice work as always. I really like the way the sun rays look with your mod.

Thanks !

And now the punchline :

Now you probably see the rays how they are meant to be for the first time...

I made the rays.tga myself while composing the "smaller sun" mod (pre 1.2.2)... , well ,somehow these files found a way into the official release and I'm glad they are still there and work as intended in the first place.

Edited by PeterP

Fantastic job Peter. Thanks :)

WHISPR | Intel I7 5930K | Nvidia GTX980 4GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR4 | Intel 730 series 512GB SSD | Thrustmaster WARTHOG | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR4 pro |

|A-10C|BS2 |CA|P-51 MUSTANG|UH-1H HUEY|MI-8 MTV2 |FC3|F5E|M2000C|AJS-37|FW190|BF 109K|Mig21|A-10:SSC,EWC|L-39|NEVADA|

Does have anyone noticed any bugs/anoyences ? - I use it manly on an not so common screen-setup . so it is calibrated for my purpose and the experience may differ at a diffident FOV/Resolution ?

If not, I will upload it to the user-files section in the next days.

Edited by PeterP

I think its working great. haven't noticed anything buggy so far.

WHISPR | Intel I7 5930K | Nvidia GTX980 4GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR4 | Intel 730 series 512GB SSD | Thrustmaster WARTHOG | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR4 pro |

|A-10C|BS2 |CA|P-51 MUSTANG|UH-1H HUEY|MI-8 MTV2 |FC3|F5E|M2000C|AJS-37|FW190|BF 109K|Mig21|A-10:SSC,EWC|L-39|NEVADA|

Works nice and beautiful.

Only annoying thing is the bright overlay induced by sun. When I looking to the sun - screen become darker, but on top of dark picture I see bright yellowish layer.

Всех убью, один останусь!

Oh, another issue - textures on buildings become black for a second on LOD switching.

Not sure if this related to this mod, but it looks similar to previous post.

It seems to be DCS World related, it appears here too for example

Oh, another issue - textures on buildings become black for a second on LOD switching.

Not sure if this related to this mod, but it looks similar to previous post.

This happens when the building objects switch from an .blk model to .edm.

Works nice and beautiful.

Only annoying thing is the bright overlay induced by sun. When I looking to the sun - screen become darker, but on top of dark picture I see bright yellowish layer.

Need screen-shots your system and your in-game settings.

Also want to say that I only use HDR-Normal.

Yes that is a bug of DCS World... I don't have the mod yet (didn't had time) but I get that flickering with black shape when LOD switching.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

The LOD flicker is quite common in many games and it's a tuff nut to crack, it actually comes down to the individual end-users machine. The exact moment a LOD switches is different for different hardware configs and driver/hardware combos.

Fixing it for one could very well create problems for another, oh the joy's of development :smilewink:

This is working very good with multiple screens , I do it my own.

...Well , as long you use a single View-port and its matching your total in-game resolution...

For all that think they found a bug and want to post a report:

Save a track where you have seen this - than replay this track without this modification.

If this bug is still visible , it's definitely not caused by this mod.

Thanks.

- Doing it every-time like described above for any mod you are using will save you and the authors of a mod a lot of time.

Edited by PeterP

Tried the single View-port setup on my dual monitor combination... don't know if I can live with cockpit rendering flowing between mine exported stuff... :(

Is there any way to cover the cockpit rendering on the lower monitor with a giant black polygon and make the exported stuff be on top? :D

Maybe I'll just try to get use to it... cause I really love the sun flare... :thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

...the few, the proud, the remaining...

Is there any way to cover the cockpit rendering on the lower monitor with a giant black polygon and make the exported stuff be on top? :D

Yes - there is :

A) Background for indicator exports

Needs a retouch here and there but gives a good advise How-to and uses up virtually no FPS.

B) Seeking best connection method for optimal multi-monitor-performance

This edit is simpler but is more "qiuick'n'dirty" - some that used it have reported a Significant FPS hit.

This is how you render a black square inside DCS:

(check the negative width/height ...and it has no impact on FPS)

BlackSquare.jpg

...and here is a example in which kind of setting it can be very useful:

>>>> http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=1490580#post1490580

Screen_120625_201015.jpg

BTW - I have a mod like this ( but for all modules) on my 'To-do' list, but this list is so populated right now - I can't say at all when I will rework all exportable gauges so they have by default a black background. - Still hoping that some day ED will catch this Idea up them self to prevent pitbuliders from headaches...

...please let not distract from this topic - so if you have further questions: Please follow the provided links and post in a own thread or a appropriate one. ;)

Further:

To get a almost complete overview what bugs/design-flaws you have to face when using edited view-ports - please follow this link:

A Plea for View-Export/Multi-head/TH Users.

Edited by PeterP