Is there a way to turn FARP lights on from the air.

Tempest

I modified a stock mission in BS2 putting a FARP helipad in the empty country side near an airfield. Just want to practice night landings. FARP has an ATC truck unit, Fuel Truck unit, Ground Power truck unit and a regular military truck. They are all the same side as my KA-50 (RED). I get the FARP frequency on the ATC channels. I tell ATC at the FARP I'm inbound. They say I'm in sight. Yet no FARP lights come on when I'm near the FARP.

Or does this feature only work when you START from a FARP at night in your KA-50 when you communicate with ground crew? Is there a minimum distance the support trucks have to be from the helipad?

I did a forum search and I couldn't find anything except items that I know about (Radio frequency, number and types of ground units around FARPS).

TIA.

Solved it

The Ground unit that needs to supply power has to be a STATIC OBJECT. I was using the truck from the VEHICLE GROUP. Which didn't work.

Everything lit up once I radioed in.

Screen capture from Editor to illustrate my fix

2-5.jpg

Nailed the landing FWIW with a Saitek AV8R-01 and a Saitek Quadrant as my collective and throttle.

1-4.jpg

Edited by Tempest
  • Like 3

Thanks. Hmm now I got another issue I'm investigating. Same map. I added a 2nd FARP with identical structures/vehicles, it's own separate frequency-but dang if the second site doesn't light up at night. Going to play with it tonight. The 1st site lights up. The 2nd site stays dark even though they acknowledge me. Maybe it's the structures/vehicles distance from the FRAPS (manual says 150 meters from center of Helepad as I recall. Maybe if I make a template of the first site and use at as the second site it will work. Can't believe as sophisticated as this sim is the map only allows only one lit FARP-look how many lit airbases and cities there are. Right now it's a puzzle.

I know the Ka-50 isn't really a nightfighter. But if I can land at a FARP at night I can land anywhere.

Had this sim for 3 weeks and having GREAT fun with it. :D

Go Figure.

You can have 2 FARPs at night with the needed equipment that will light up when you radio to them you are inbound.

BUT for them to light up -the individual FARPs have to be different allied countries.

I'm flying a Russian Ka-50 to Russian FARP #1. It lights up. If I have Russian FARP #2 on the same mission it doesn't light up-even though I get a response from that FARPS ATC. And I did everything with vehicles mixes, distance, frequencies for that 2nd Russian FARP.

Nada.

Nothing.

Lights stay out.

So I change the nationality to Ukrainian for Russian Farp #2 (an ally).

It lights up when I'm say I'm inbound.

Both Russian and Ukranian FARPS have identical equipment.

:joystick: :pilotfly: It's late. Off to bed.

• Like 1

Keep in mind-the Ukrainian FARP didn't light up right away. It lit up when I guess I was in virtual ear or eye shot. Because when testing to watch the FARP (hitting f7) the site didn't light up right after we exchanged messages. Only when I was near. I don't know if this has to do with experience of the ATC or other units (which are all set to 'GOOD").

When it was a Russian FARP I'd fly over and nothing would happen.

I know what the manual says about being inbound-but evidently distance from the FARP matters for it to light up. Which makes sense. You wouldn't leave FARP lights on all night in a combat zone.

Hi !

I've tried this procedure. I did not find any related bugs about this, at least when creating a new mission.

I've set up 2 FARPs on different frequencies, a SKP-11 ATC mobile command post in between (within 150m each).

When called both ATC, both illuminates correctly.

My mobile command post is a standard-unarmed russian unit.

Did i missed something?

I've made a quick capture about this (up to 1200p):

You have my mission and a track too.

New Mission2.miz

FARP_Illumination.trk

TASK / ROLES acronyms guide

Black Shark A.I. datalink guide illustrated (v1.2.4 Available on Wiki)

DCS World Codex 1.1 : full units list (Speed/Weapons/Armor thickness/Threat zone/Weapon damage...) (Oct 2013)

BlackShark 2 1.2.x Bug and glitches thread (v1.2.7)

Don't know. Currently I'm putting the BS2 module into DSC (I just downloaded it) and have to reinstall BS2 into DSC. That might be one reason why I had this issue. Can't tell till I test BS2 when it is inside DSC.

Thanks for the mission and trk.

In the meantime I attached the unedited night mission with the Russian and Ukranian FARP. My 2nd FARP is further away then yours. I'll test mine first by changing the Ukrainian FARP to make it the 2nd Russian FARP once I have BS2 reinstalled.

Ka-50 Night cold start in Mozdok.miz

Edited by Tempest

re: 1st message

I have found this to be true, any friendly designated return airfield at night, on final, ask permission to land and they will turn the lights on for you jets or copter.

Maybe this would happen anyway, but I always ask by hitting "\" key.

Edited by DieHard

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]