Two-Pin Hedgehog (DCS World co-op mission)

Version 1.0.1 released, available as soon as approved for download.

Changelog:

- Fixed "global 'stateZhelez' (a nil value)" error which could occur after first task in mission was completed.

- Modified Zhelez red surrender condition to 10 units left.

- Added radio message for Ferret having been picked up.

When an pilot ejects, one troop appears as the pilot downed, but when we try to rescue him either on MI8 or Huey, we cant seem to find a way to extract him..

Any advise.

All else, great mission!

Played today 2 A-10 2 ka 50 and Mi8

No errors

Great to hear you've been enjoying the mission :) Thanks for confirming the fix too. I'd be quite curious to see how you took the mission on. Anything in particular that was good or bad?

A few questions

1. Did you receive a message saying a pilot was down (with chute)?

2. The pilot was of your coalition (Blue) ?

3. Was someone in already CSAR aircraft when the CSAR mission began, or did you hop in one after?

There's a few things that should happen when a CSAR mission begins.

1. You should get the message saying "pilot down", and the pilot should be added under the active CSAR mission listing in the F10 menu.

2. When you get close enough to the pilot in a CSAR aircraft you should receive another message and the pilot should pop green smoke.

3. When you land next to the pilot, they should walk towards you and board the helicopter. This requires your helicopter to be on the ground, close enough and completely stopped.

4. A bleedout timer then begins counting down, during which you need to fly over to the "Moscow" FARP / field hospital and land near enough to the truck in the lightly colored 'T' shaped area.

5. A message should then tell you the pilot was rescued.

If CSAR fails to work, posting your DCS.log from that flight would be useful since it should contain error messages. A short track that replays accurately enough to see what's going on would be helpful, or an ACMI also would shed more light to the situation.

I'll try have time to do a check on the pilot CSAR script a bit later myself, but I'm pretty short on time at the moment.

Edited by DragonShadow

The only thing we are doing different is that we hop on in the mi8 after the pilots were downed.

It does appear a message saying something like this "mayday mayday pilot ejected ### bulls eye ##"

Maybe there has to be a csar pilot before the plane is shutdown.

Also, no info on the downed pilot in the f10 menu.

A.K.A. Timon -117th- in game

The Su-25T is a lot of fun—it has some reasonably fancy targeting, but still relies on the TsM-model datalink, and it's not all dropping JDAMs from 15,000 feet. Unfortunately, my wingman is away from his computer for Thanksgiving, so we won't have a chance to take another crack at it for a few days, but I'm looking forward to it.

Certainly agree with you that the SU-25T can be a more 'in your face' type flying with the Vikhrs and other laser guided weapons. Definitely fun for some variety. Though of course the A-10 is also built around a gun, so just depends on the style I guess :)

I got some good laughs out of taking on the higher difficulty mode of Blindsided alone with the SU-25T when testing the mission - including things like barrel rolling missiles with one working engine to get within S-25L range as it was all I had left :) It can do a real number on convoys with a few passes.

One of the reasons I've put it into my missions has been to make them accessible to people who have not yet purchased modules, but that's certainly not the only reason. Hope you have fun.

Suggestions for mission:

• Increase bleedout for CSAR/SAR, even at max speed could not make the FARP (suggest medevac.cruisespeed = 30)

• Turn off playable Ground Commander (at least on dedicated server version) too many pubs mess around, shot at friendly aircraft etc.

• Set Red Forces to 0 for CSAR/SAR (red forces ask for CSAR/SAR on blue coalition side)

Great mission, definitely a keeper!

Flew it the other night. Good fun. Enjoyed it. Thanks for your effort.

A question....I have not flown the Hueys yet, so this may be obvious. How would they fly to a Bulls call when they have no way of measuring it? If they fly to Bulls and take a heading, they will get slaughtered by the AD at Bulls.

SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!!

Would love to hear other peoples tactics on dealing with the SA6 mess at Bullseye. First couple of tries, I sent in the ground forces, but they were summarily slaughtered in no time. Next, I tried chipping away with mavs. Made a WHOLE lotta work for the CSAR crews. Lastly, I decided to attrit the SAMs by beaming and forcing them into taking a poke at me at RMAX. They did and eventually, I would catch them with an open shot and lob in a mav or two. Eventually, I wore them down enough to take down the AD in the area. THEN I would release the ground troops to roll through and clean up.

Also had the great idea of loading up the Frogfoot with ARMS and punching them from afar. Seems like DS had already thought of that and made the equipment unavailable through the warehouse system. Sneaky Sneaky!

All in all, a good time.

Markeebo

A question....I have not flown the Hueys yet, so this may be obvious. How would they fly to a Bulls call when they have no way of measuring it? If they fly to Bulls and take a heading, they will get slaughtered by the AD at Bulls.

SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!!

Would love to hear other peoples tactics on dealing with the SA6 mess at Bullseye. First couple of tries, I sent in the ground forces, but they were summarily slaughtered in no time. Next, I tried chipping away with mavs. Made a WHOLE lotta work for the CSAR crews. Lastly, I decided to attrit the SAMs by beaming and forcing them into taking a poke at me at RMAX. They did and eventually, I would catch them with an open shot and lob in a mav or two. Eventually, I wore them down enough to take down the AD in the area. THEN I would release the ground troops to roll through and clean up.

Also had the great idea of loading up the Frogfoot with ARMS and punching them from afar. Seems like DS had already thought of that and made the equipment unavailable through the warehouse system. Sneaky Sneaky!

All in all, a good time.

Markeebo

We attacked it with 3-4 Hawgs using force correlating mavericks, pretty tough but got her done! How to here:

Suggestions for mission:

• Increase bleedout for CSAR/SAR, even at max speed could not make the FARP (suggest medevac.cruisespeed = 30)
  • Turn off playable Ground Commander (at least on dedicated server version) too many pubs mess around, shot at friendly aircraft etc.
  • Set Red Forces to 0 for CSAR/SAR (red forces ask for CSAR/SAR on blue coalition side)

Great mission, definitely a keeper!

Still alive here, if still keeping quite busy. But it's great to hear you liked it :)

I suppose I might need to do a bit more testing on the CSAR/SAR when I have a moment. My code calculates the time based on direct distance between the rescue point and the field hospital, with the lower end of the cruising speed of the Huey as a reference. Plus it randomizes a 0-20% leeway ontop of that. If flying the higher end of the cruising speed it should be possible to make a few mistakes and still make it on time. I do also want it to be a bit of a challenge mind you :)

Rather unfortunate and rude of the pubs then to behave so :/ But really one of the main ideas of the mission is specifically to have challenges that require co-operation between players in the air and the ground commander. It's basically where the name of the mission comes from too, while I've also worked on making it possible to finish without either party.

Disabling the ground commander for open servers and alike is easy to do in the mission editor, I can instruct on how to do that if need be. I wouldn't mind the change if it was also noted visibly in the mission briefing or so. I could include a version of the mission with it already disabled, but that'd mean the download would include already four different versions of the same mission, or another download alltogether. Is this something others would be interested in as well?

As to red requesting CSAR from blue side, that sounds rather strange.. I'll have to investigate.

Thanks for the feedback :)

Edited by DragonShadow

Still alive here, if still keeping quite busy. But it's great to hear you liked it :)

I suppose I might need to do a bit more testing on the CSAR/SAR when I have a moment. My code calculates the time based on direct distance between the rescue point and the field hospital, with the lower end of the cruising speed of the Huey as a reference. Plus it randomizes a 0-20% leeway ontop of that. If flying the higher end of the cruising speed it should be possible to make a few mistakes and still make it on time. I do also want it to be a bit of a challenge mind you :)

Rather unfortunate and rude of the pubs then to behave so :/ But really one of the main ideas of the mission is specifically to have challenges that require co-operation between players in the air and the ground commander. It's basically where the name of the mission comes from too, while I've also worked on making it possible to finish without either party.

Disabling the ground commander for open servers and alike is easy to do in the mission editor, I can instruct on how to do that if need be. I wouldn't mind the change if it was also noted visibly in the mission briefing or so. I could include a version of the mission with it already disabled, but that'd mean the download would include already four different versions of the same mission, or another download alltogether. Is this something others would be interested in as well?

As to red requesting CSAR from blue side, that sounds rather strange.. I'll have to investigate.

Thanks for the feedback :)

No problem, love your mission!

Hey Markeebo, glad to hear you've enjoyed the mission.

First of all I should check if there's a more correct way of setting a bullseye, to my current understanding it is a relatively arbitrary point agreed upon beforehand. But would one traditionally be centered around friendly forces for example? I imagine someone here on the forums knows. Another location I could certainly also use for it would be the "Moscow" FARP.

But aside from that, if you know the location of the bullseye and have a map, you can accurately calculate it from there. Infact the DCS inbuilt map allows you to use the measuring tool to get the exact point as it gives you both bearing and distance.

SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!!

All in all, a good time.

Markeebo

Heehee. There's a good reason to there being a rather prickly air defense on that site :) Here's a few hints on clearing it.

You were on the right track to begin with, with sending in the ground forces to clean it up. Mission design-wise that's basically their job to clean up before friendly air forces can move in to help with other threats they are less equipped to deal with. This might also have something to do with how those ARMS have mysteriously gone missing from the base stock :) It's all about co-operation and using the right force against the right foe.

If you have no dedicated ground commander, it helps a lot to know that the ground forces seem to aim a whole lot better if they are not moving. So you can have them move in and then stop them when they are able to engage. This will also keep them from being engaged by more foes while concentrating on the ones they've spotted. I've found that this results in much fewer casualties on the blue side while testing the mission. If you are able to sneak in a shot with a mav, you might also consider prioritizing something else than the enemy air defenses.

Lacking effective help from the ground forces, a careful KA-50 pilot, or even an A-10 with the proper planning should be able to get in shots at the group by using the terrain to their advantage. It's also no coincidence that the red SAM site is in the region it is in :)

Good luck!

Edited by DragonShadow

Suggestions for mission:

Hey Ranger79,

I'm having trouble reproducing this problem. My current test case is in single player to put in two A-10's into the map, one red, one blue. They spawn 25 seconds apart, with no fuel and 0 airspeed which forces the AI to eject. I then enter the hot started Huey and start the mission.

The red pilot ejects as expected and generates a unit to pick up and CSAR for red, but no message is received by blue and no tasking is added to list. The blue pilot then ejects and the unit is generated, notification is given to blue and the task appears in the list.

Can you give me some further detail on when red CSAR missions are generated for blue? Medevac missions can be generated for blue ground units too by the way, no pilot needs to necessarily be shot down.

I did a little more testing with the CSAR time limit also. For bit longer flights (Say 18nm) you can gain a fair bit on the clock by flying at speeds higher than 80 knots.

Test case:

854 seconds to cover 18 nautical miles, leeway of 2.47% ontop of calculated "fair minimum" in this case.

Cruised at around 100 knots, give or take 10 knots for maneuvering.

Had by no means optimal flight path, made several course corrections.

Still had 162 seconds (18.9% of initially allotted) for making a landing.

I've also tested multiple successful flights at 11nm earlier.

However I think there is a real scaling issue on very short range CSAR missions. Demonstrated by..

Absolute worst case minimum rescue time is..

30s * 40m = 1200m, which is about 0.65nm.

Assuming similar flying performance, that leaves us with about 5.67s for "landing" :D

Sooo perhaps I'll have to tweak at least the short range parameters a bit.

Edited by DragonShadow

Thanks for another great mission. Blindsided has always been one of my favorite missions so I was thrilled to see you offer another. The MP community is in dire need of new material so I am hoping you will continue to find time to create more missions in the future. I know it takes many hours to do the work and I really appreciate you and the other mission designers that are still willing to donate their talents.

Thanks for another great mission. Blindsided has always been one of my favorite missions so I was thrilled to see you offer another. The MP community is in dire need of new material so I am hoping you will continue to find time to create more missions in the future. I know it takes many hours to do the work and I really appreciate you and the other mission designers that are still willing to donate their talents.

Hey Blooze, great to hear from you :)

It's such a nice thing to hear that Blindsided became one of your favorite missions. I imagine there's an interesting battle story or two in there too then :) So you've had the chance to play through Two-Pin Hedgehog already? Any thoughts on it if so? I hope you've enjoyed it as well.

I certainly have some more mission ideas floating about, just waiting for a good time and the right inspiration to get started on them again. It's always fun to see people flying them.

I've been putting some finishing touches on Two-Pin Hedgehog 1.1.0, after some CSAR changes and reworking the optional Ferret objective somewhat. I'll still need to test that everything works well, but hopefully should be able to publish soon.

Edited by DragonShadow

Hey Blooze, great to hear from you :)

It's such a nice thing to hear that Blindsided became one of your favorite missions. I imagine there's an interesting battle story or two in there too then :) So you've had the chance to play through Two-Pin Hedgehog already? Any thoughts on it if so? I hope you've enjoyed it as well.

I certainly have some more mission ideas floating about, just waiting for a good time and the right inspiration to get started on them again. It's always fun to see people flying them.

I've been putting some finishing touches on Two-Pin Hedgehog 1.1.0, after some CSAR changes and reworking the optional Ferret objective somewhat. I'll still need to test that everything works well, but hopefully should be able to publish soon.

I have hosted the standard version a couple of times and we enjoyed it very much. I am planning on trying the higher difficulty version on an open server tonight. Hopefully some chopper pilots will join in.

I have hosted the standard version a couple of times and we enjoyed it very much. I am planning on trying the higher difficulty version on an open server tonight. Hopefully some chopper pilots will join in.

Sounds fun! Glad to hear it. I'm curious about some feedback on the higher difficulty version since the balancing has not yet been extensively tested. How did it go?

Really entertaining mission. Ran it twice today! Thumbs up!

DragonShadow: If i edit the names of the aircrafts, will that mess up the trigger system?

Hey Rivvern, great to hear you enjoyed the mission :) What kind of a group were you flying with? Anything in particular stick to your mind?

Player aircraft? Off the top of my head the problem points would be the CSAR associations (Defined in the medevac script), and the tasking system associations. They both use group names to keep track of players. Otherwise it's mostly testing things such as whether a blue coalition helicopter, etc has entered a zone.

What kind of changes were you wanting to make?

Sounds fun! Glad to hear it. I'm curious about some feedback on the higher difficulty version since the balancing has not yet been extensively tested. How did it go?

I finally ran the higher diff version with one other A10 but we were not able to handle the SA11s. I can see how much better things would be with CA, choppers and SU25Ts involved but the group I fly with are all A10 pilots. Maybe if I learn how to advance and stop the friendly tanks better they would be able to take out the SAMs. Those SAMs were able to pick off the MAVS with ease so that will take some planning as well. I'll beat it one day :pilotfly:

Version 1.1.0 is done! I got a little bit carried away while fixing up issues and rebuilt the optional CSAR/CAS objective featuring Ferret :lol:. I'm quite happy with how it came out, scripted events and all. It gives the CSAR aircraft more to do, and allows them to further affect the battlefield.

Changelog:

- Rebuilt the optional Ferret CSAR (Combat Search And Rescue) objective. Red units at Zhelez must now be defeated first before Ferret can be picked up.

- If Ferret is succesfully delivered in time, the players will be rewarded with AFAC (Airborne Forward Air Controller) support!

- 33% of blue ground unit crews now survive to provide CSAR players with more to do if no pilot ejections occur.

- 33% of red ground unit crews now survive to provide players with less heavy weapons more to do.

- Short range CSAR missions will have their time padded to allow approximately 30 seconds for landing. The padding is added to the initial time limit, not during landing.

- Fixed Ferret's smoke support incorrectly being still available after picked up.

Edited by DragonShadow

• 1 month later...

Bump:

Cool to see there's a new version out. Three of my friends will be running this, so we'll have a full flight of Su-25Ts up. I want to record the whole thing, and I'll hopefully get a TacView track too.

Edit: I didn't get TacView set up right, and I didn't verify, but I think I forgot to record comms, so neither the track nor the video will work. The mission went well, although the one nugget didn't do so hot (the Kub got him twice). The other killed some stuff, then had a landing accident about halfway through. I and my other friend got the mission nearly to the end (our tanks were in Mirnyy) before the mission crashed. One of the newbies streamed it, along with some of the guided weapons practice we did first.

Edited by Fishbreath

Black Shark, Harrier, and Hornet pilot

Many Words - Serial Fiction | Ka-50 Employment Guide | Ka-50 Avionics Cheat Sheet | Multiplayer Shooting Range Mission

• 2 weeks later...
Bump:

Cool to see there's a new version out. Three of my friends will be running this, so we'll have a full flight of Su-25Ts up. I want to record the whole thing, and I'll hopefully get a TacView track too.

Edit: I didn't get TacView set up right, and I didn't verify, but I think I forgot to record comms, so neither the track nor the video will work. The mission went well, although the one nugget didn't do so hot (the Kub got him twice). The other killed some stuff, then had a landing accident about halfway through. I and my other friend got the mission nearly to the end (our tanks were in Mirnyy) before the mission crashed. One of the newbies streamed it, along with some of the guided weapons practice we did first.

Hey Fishbreath.

Great to see you guys had fun! Interesting flight with 4x SU-25t too. It's quite useful to get back some footage on how people take the mission on, appreciate it. Shame about the recording and ACMI, but the stream did work and being able to listen in on the comms was both informative and fun for me as well :) For the next version I've already added the SU-25T ECM pods in the default loadout for one thing.

I also noted you disabled the fighters on the red side, though for this I'd like to point out that there definitely is an alternative way to deal with them as well. Nevertheless mods are always an interesting to see, if I do prefer to keep publishing control over my missions. Didn't expect to see a portuguese version of Blindsided earlier either for example :) Certainly curious what all is out there.

Think some of my favorite reactions were the ones to there actually being a useful briefing, the lack of ELINT pods was it?, and to the aftermath of the battle of Podkumok. Always good to see new pilots to these skies, too. Hopefully DCS 1.2.7 will be more stable for us.