Dynamic Weather Overview

Yo-Yo

• ED Team

I see that this feature is not fully documented so I will try to unveil some hints.

The main weather field is pressure distribution. In real world this field is formed by areas of high (H) and low (L) pressure calling baric systems (BS).

In DCS mission editor (ME) we can set the number of these systems and dominant type. If dominant type is choosen then BS of dominant type will be generated near the centre of the map. If number of BS is greater than 1 other BS will be positioned around the centre. Their position are randomised but statistically they are placed evenly around the centre. Pressure excess is random for each BS. Dominant type of BS affects the average percentage of generated BS of this type.

When the pressure field is ready, wind velocity field can be calculated both for altitude and surface winds.

Altitude wind directed along isobaric lines and surface wind always additionally turnes towards pressure gradient.

As well as pressure field cloud density field is calculated too. As in RL the clouds will be more dense around the L BS. The main problem is that we have not graphic representation for overcast spots, so the places that must be covered with overcast now are covered with our regular clouds.

Edited by Yo-Yo
  • Like 1

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does this mean, where it should be overcast there is a problem that means we cannot see those clouds? As that would explain a LOT. ;)

I think that is what he means, overcast can ATM only be generated over the whole map or not at all.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

• ED Team
Am i correct in assuming that the system does not yet create precipitation in areas where this would be likely?

As far as I know it does. If the clouds intencity is more than certain value, precipitation is created.

Or MUST be created - may be it was turned off for some reasons - I must check.

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

Basically as sobek said - right now overcast is an all-or-nothing graphical effect. You either have overcast everywhere or nowhere.

With dynamic weather, you should see more clouds where overcast should be, but it's obviously not overcast still.

What Yo-Yo is saying is that in the future they have to come up with a localized overcast effect.

Yo-Yo thanks, this is much appreciated.

Does this mean, where it should be overcast there is a problem that means we cannot see those clouds? As that would explain a LOT. ;)

EDIT: looks like your edit has answered my question, sneaky, :P

Thanks

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

• ED Team

The obvious addition: if you increase number of BS the probability of high gradients becomes higher so the winds get stronger.

Basically as sobek said - right now overcast is an all-or-nothing graphical effect. You either have overcast everywhere or nowhere.

With dynamic weather, you should see more clouds where overcast should be, but it's obviously not overcast still.

What Yo-Yo is saying is that in the future they have to come up with a localized overcast effect.

Except the overcast is not actually overcast?

Enlightened and confused at the same time..slightly reminds me on the hypnotist from Little Britain..:P

Either way.. its a great additive.. if a little hard to get the required results.

i5-3570K @ 4.5 Ghz, Asus P8Z77-V, 8 GB DDR3, 1.5GB GTX 480 (EVGA, superclocked), SSD, 2 x 1680x1050, x-fi extreme music.

TM Warthog, Saitek combat pro pedals, TrackIR 4

All hail the hypno-toad :P

What I mean is, where you SHOULD have overcast the wind conditions are correct, and so is the pressure, but the overcast graphical effect to represent it visually does not exist.

Except the overcast is not actually overcast?

Enlightened and confused at the same time..slightly reminds me on the hypnotist from Little Britain..:P

Either way.. its a great additive.. if a little hard to get the required results.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

All hail the hypno-toad :P

What I mean is, where you SHOULD have overcast the wind conditions are correct, and so is the pressure, but the overcast graphical effect to represent it visually does not exist.

The main problem is that we have not graphic representation for overcast spots, so the places that must be covered with overcast now are covered with our regular clouds.

Well, it just sounds like that all Yo-Yo is saying is that in areas where it should be overcast, very densly placed REGULAR cloud graphics are used rather than the overcast cloud graphic. So it looks overcast, but it's not using hte overcast cloud graphic. That would jive with what I was seeing the other day in a dynamic weather mission. It was, as far as I could tell, overcast in the beginning of the mission at homeplate, but later on, it had cleared.

So the regular cloud graphics that Yo-Yo speaks that represent overcast now are so closely spaced it looks like overcast. So don't worry... in places where it should be overcast, it's gonna look overcast.

Intelligent discourse can only begin with the honest admission of your own fallibility.

Member of the Virtual Tactical Air Group: http://vtacticalairgroup.com/

Lua scripts and mods:

MIssion Scripting Tools (Mist): http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=98616

Slmod version 7.0 for DCS: World: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=80979

Now includes remote server administration tools for kicking, banning, loading missions, etc.

I've seen quite a few overcast like clouds via dynamic weather. The weird thing I noticed was it seemed to have problems rendering all of them, as the cloud cover over one area wasn't all that heavy, but as I increased altitude toward it clouds "spawned" and it gradually became overcast.

I must say I really enjoy playing with the dynamic weather. The only complaint I have with it really is that ya gotta run the mission in order to have an idea what the cloud cover and weather is like throughout the mission area.

Just curious, will fog and temperature become dynamic during a mission?

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

in areas where it should be overcast, very densly placed REGULAR cloud graphics are used rather than the overcast cloud graphic.

^^ No...

Yes... :-)

If you set the parameters correctly, you will get high desity 'normal' clouds, that while not solid overcast, can come pretty close. Where you would expect rain, you'll get rain, and where you would expect snow, you'll get snow...

Screen_110310_175320.thumb.jpg.4b02d4e6af545bef776fb686e1b1e778.jpg

Screen_110310_175534.thumb.jpg.ed6333e64ede4cafbb50ecdfd81d612e.jpg

Screen_110310_175056.thumb.jpg.aee185051b9e719ccc6ab904d4466e9f.jpg

Edited by Weta43

Cheers.

I set it to 2 systems, and have the pressure differential betwen the about what you's see as the difference between a couple of systems that are generating some unpleasant weather of the type you're after IRL over about the same distance as you see on the DCS map. if you change the pressure by any increment the systems are re-generated, so just adjust till you get what you're after. once saved they're stable...

(that one of the runway loooks pretty good - don't you think ?)

Cheers.

• ED Team
Nice examples, MadTommy, nice engine, ED :).

Didn't know the weather is already that dynamic, although I tried a bit.

The initial step of creation. It could be an icon for dynamic weather... :)

Face1.gif.337af08ef235260b86552b15a8301e89.gif

Edited by Yo-Yo
  • Like 1

• ED Team

And a little addition about time-and-spatial turbulence in DCS. I posted these pictures before but I think they could be interesting for new forum members.

I think the pictures can make clear some items regarding the turbulence behaviour.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1138952&postcount=4010

The main point is that the turbulence vectors are correlated if they are taken within the certain interval. The more is the interval the less they are correlated like in RL.

This model provides correlation length depending on altitude so the higher you are the smother is the turbulence. I mean not its standard deviation but the deviation between two point at certain distance.

Edited by Yo-Yo
  • Like 1

I know that I am asking a very dangerous question with a very vague answer. But.

Is there any chance that FC2 Will be getting the new graphics or weather engine upgrade?

STT Radar issue is leftover code.

Thank you Yo-Yo for the images. When I was reading about the weather engine I was suddenly thinking of exactly these two images, but couldn't find them.

Are there any other "debug" screenshots, somehow visualising various engine internals? I'd really like to see more of these. Maybe it's worth a new thread, in case there is a chance to get a little more of these images. I even like images visualising bounding boxes :)

• ED Team

More clear visualisation of generated weather than we have now in ME to demonstrate different fields in conjunction.

This is a deep cyclone baric system (upper left diagram), winds (upper right diagram) where red lines show winds, blue lines (somewhere) show surface wind and long blue line shows something we have not yet in DCS :) (take a look at the hollow at the pressure surface).

The lower diagrams shows the same - cloud distribution.

2118982640_Newathmosphere2.thumb.gif.32b56c7ae703bcfdd194ff610be6308e.gif

Edited by Yo-Yo

• ED Team
I know that I am asking a very dangerous question with a very vague answer. But.

Is there any chance that FC2 Will be getting the new graphics or weather engine upgrade?

I think nobody now can answer it.

does it mean we will see this in future patches or in a new module?

[sigpic][/sigpic]

MB MSI x570 Prestige Creation, RYzen 9 3900X, 32 Gb Ram 3333MHz, cooler Dark rock PRO 4, eVGA 1080Ti, 32 inch BenQ 32011pt, saitek X52Pro, HP Reverb, win 10 64bit

No, it doesn't. Even if it is being kept in mind, it might never end up being planned for, or it might end up being cut.

Don't ask about future modules. It's far too early to say anything about them.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks for the clarification. Dynamic weather, one of my previous wishes (others too).

Good Work ED :thumbup:

• Like 1

Antec 900 gaming tower, PSU: Corsair 750W, Q6600, Asus P5K, 8Gig Mushkin, Nvidia eVGA 280 GTX Superclocked 1G DDR3, SSDNOW200 Kingston Drive, TrackIr 3000+Vector, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Saitek rudder pedals pro, Sharp 42" inch LCD Aquo. OS: windows 7 64bit.