Can You Calibrate Warthog?

EDIT: Calibration tools are in posts 7 & 8.

I received mine a couple of weeks ago, and it's had this problem out-of-box.

My stick isn't centered. I always have to trim LWD after takeoff because my stick is biased to the right.

With a range of 0 to 65535, center should be in the neighborhood of 32767. My center sits between 32950 and 33026 on the X axis. It's not crazy-off, but it is a noticeable annoyance in-game. I can't find any way to re-cal using the target software, thrustmaster's website, or a google search. A search of -Calibrate Warthog- on this forum gives 0 results.

Does anyone else have this problem, or a solution to it?

Edited by SonofEil
Calibration utilities available.
  • Like 1

i7 7700K @5.0, 1080Ti, 32GB DDR4, HMD Odyssey, TM WH, Crosswind Rudder...

Yes it sems they send you a calibration program or something similar.

HaF 922, Asus rampage extreme 3 gene, I7 950 with Noctua D14, MSI gtx 460 hawk, G skill 1600 8gb, 1.5 giga samsung HD.

Track IR 5, Hall sensed Cougar, Hall sensed TM RCS TM Warthog(2283), TM MFD, Saitek pro combat rudder, Cougar MFD.

Yes it sems they send you a calibration program or something similar.

Indeed they have...for the throttle! There's nothing wrong with my thottle!

I copied and pasted my above post (minus a couple of edits) into an email to thrustmaster and they sent my a throttle calibration program. I have emailed them again, but haven't heard back. It's certainly a livable issue...if I hadn't paid $500 for the thing. At that premium I do expect damn near perfection.

If they send me a joystick calibration program I will post it, and the throttle cal, here in the forums for everyone.

• Like 1

Well i don t know in which condition you bought it but asking for another for defect is maybe an option or at least threatening TM.

HaF 922, Asus rampage extreme 3 gene, I7 950 with Noctua D14, MSI gtx 460 hawk, G skill 1600 8gb, 1.5 giga samsung HD.

Track IR 5, Hall sensed Cougar, Hall sensed TM RCS TM Warthog(2283), TM MFD, Saitek pro combat rudder, Cougar MFD.

Well i don t know in which condition you bought it but asking for another for defect is maybe an option or at least threatening TM.

True. This is why I'm trying to resolve it now. I've been procrastinating and the return policy window is quickly approaching. If I don't hear from them in the next few days, it's going back for replacement.

can u calibrate in the windows game controller window. Also, A10 has asym. loading so u will often have to trim if carrying

I had not tried calibrating with windows game controller, but I just now tried (thanks for the suggestion), no luck. Same right bias after calibration. This leads me to believe that I may be returning the Warthog for exchange, but I'll wait to hear back from TM.

I had always attributed the right bias to asym loading, but since every load config gave me a similar right bias, I became suspicious. After downloading the TARGET sofware (which I really never wanted to do in the first place), the Device Analyzer in the Script Editor confirmed that my stick "centers" with a right bias. It's actually very surprising that the TARGET software doesn't come with calibration tools.

Thanks for the help and suggestions. I'll keep this post updated as the saga continues. Oh, also attached is the throttle cal tool TM sent me if anyone else needs it. I'll post one for the stick if they send it to me.

Throttle Warthog Calibration (V1_07)_22_07_2010.rar

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

And here's the stick calibration tool that they sent me.

It seems to actually have worked. More testing needed, but I'm hopeful. It centers up now in the TARGET Device analyzer.

Let me know if you guys get any use from it.

Hey Mods, would you like to place these calibration tools as a sticky, since the only way to get them is contacting TM, and they're kind of a pain to deal with.

HW_Stick Calibration_V1_11.rar

Edited by SonofEil
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Until I read this thread I didnt realise how far out my Stick was, using windows calibration and RAW data I got

x 30374 y 33816 Way out !! Just figured it was asymetric loading on the a10.

Anyway thanks very much for the calibration tools. You'd think TM would have them available for download on their website wouldnt you!

EDIT: The throttle calib tools works fine but the Joystick hangs on 'Then press "space"' i.e. I press space and nothing happens. Also your link says ver1.11 but the .exe is ver 1.10 is that why? or do I need a win7 64 bit version?

Edited by Druid_

i7-7700K : 16Gb DDR4 2800 Mhz : Asus Mobo : 2TB HDD : Intel 520 SSD 240gb : RTX 2080ti: Win10 64pro : Dx10 : TrackiR4 : TM Warthog : ASUS ROG SWIFT PG348Q

The throttle calib tools works fine but the Joystick hangs on 'Then press "space"' i.e. I press space and nothing happens. Also your link says ver1.11 but the .exe is ver 1.10 is that why? or do I need a win7 64 bit version?

I had the same problem initially, and I'm using win7 64. I was cursing TM!

I just unplugged my stick and plugged it into a different usb port, which the cal tool recognized. I then unplugged it, and moved it back to the original port. (EDIT: It seems that people are also having luck by moving the stick and pushing buttons on it after pressing the spacebar.) The cal tool recognizes it at the original port now. I don't know why. I also don't know anything about the version discrepancy. I've just posted what TM emailed me.

Until I read this thread I didnt realise how far out my Stick was, using windows calibration and RAW data I got

x 30374 y 33816 Way out !! Just figured it was asymetric loading on the a10.

Anyway thanks very much for the calibration tools. You'd think TM would have them available for download on their website wouldnt you!

Yes! Calibrating makes a hell of a difference! My stick, after cal, reads 32768 X & Y! Dead-nuts center, and it's very noticeable in-game. I am happy.

I'm also very surprised that the cal tools aren't incorporated into the TARGET software. Rushed to market? I think so.

EDIT: My 100th post!! I'm finally a member!!

Edited by SonofEil
  • Like 1

Thanks for the Calibration Tools Quinncidence, much appreciated.

I too have a slight offset on my stick after investigating and I also put it down to loading bias on the armament until I saw this thread last night. Its small but in a bit of kit this sensitive I think that a little bit probably goes a long way.

I wonder if its because over time the stick grease that I have read so much about affects it either one way or another with some build up? I'm not about to disassemble it to find out.

I also wonder if were going to have to use the calibration routine on a semi-regular basis and therefore whether it should be available at the TM website for general download?

I think its about the best bit on non-military spec hardware (better than some mil-spec hardware in some cases) I have ever used and in that case alone I think its worth the cost and some small effort to get it working at its optimum.

I'll try the calibration routine out tonight and report back.

Rig: Home Built, water cooled,i5 2500K @ 4.3Ghz, ASUS P8P67Pro Mobo, 8GB Patriot Viper 2 Sector 5 RAM, MSI Nvidia GTX970 4GB Gaming OC, 120GB OCZ Vertex 2e SSD Boot, 120GB OCZ Vertex 2e SSD Games (BS & WH), Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB other,

Samsung UE37D5000 37" LED TV,EloTouch 1600x1200 secondary, Thrustmaster Warthog No.467, Thrustmaster MFD, Saitek Pro Pedals, Track IR4 with Track Clip Pro.

Ex RAF Aircrew, Real Life Pilot, proud Geek and father of one :)

EDIT: The throttle calib tools works fine but the Joystick hangs on 'Then press "space"' i.e. I press space and nothing happens. Also your link says ver1.11 but the .exe is ver 1.10 is that why? or do I need a win7 64 bit version?

+1

Tried 4 different USB ports. Windows recognises the Joystick each time but the TM .exe refuses to budge after pressing space bar. oh well, I'll send TM an email and see if they can help.

i7-7700K : 16Gb DDR4 2800 Mhz : Asus Mobo : 2TB HDD : Intel 520 SSD 240gb : RTX 2080ti: Win10 64pro : Dx10 : TrackiR4 : TM Warthog : ASUS ROG SWIFT PG348Q

I tried it on every usb port I have and it still sticks on "spacebar".

Win 7 64 ran it as admin and ran it without admin.

Funny that we all thought it was asymmetric loading on the hog!

I just got it to work by gently rotating the stick at it's base, clockwise, while the app was running....which makes me wonder why I have to rotate the base to get it to work...great! something else to worry about!:detective:

Edited by WarriorX

I just got it to work by gently rotating the stick at it's base, clockwise, while the app was running....which makes me wonder why I have to rotate the base to get it to work...great! something else to worry about!:detective:

:doh:

:thumbup: Thank you very much.

Top tip, got mine to work by pressing all the buttons, moving stick and shouting at it. Windows calibration raw data still doesn't show it as centred though, should it?

I just ran the Target device analyzer and it showed it centered on the spot.

I have not run the windows calibration.

Hmm. Maybe that was something I was doing as well and didn't realize it. I wouldn't worry about your stick, I suspect that it has a lot more to do with TM's programming.

Whoa.

I like my WH waaaaay more than my X52pro. I spent many hours trying to smooth over that bump when the second spring engaged on the stick, and I was never able to get rid of that "springy" feel.

The WH stick is considerably smoother, like butter, but still takes a small amount of muscle to move. You have to be deliberate, which I think is good.

Now that mine's calibrated, I'm extremely pleased. It's also built like a home defense weapon. You seriously have no idea how solid it feels until you actually handle one.

Perfect? Absolutely not! (I would actually advise a wait-and-see approach due to the number of people reporting the throttle frying itself.)

Worth $500? Well, that's debatable.

Best out-of-box HOTAS out there? Easily.

Edited by SonofEil

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The calibration tool should be included with the next version of TARGET IMHO. It's not being included shows just how rushed out the door TARGET seems to have been.