Launcher.exe has stopped working

Frosties

(yes i´ve searched the forums and the issue is still there)

Im running Vista 64bits. Have played the game on this OS and installation before.

But today when i was trying to start nothing was working.

Single- as well as Multiplayer failed to start.

It just stated "Launcher.exe has stopped working"

I´ve also tried re-installting the game but no joy.

Any suggestions?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Vincere Est Totum

Have you updated any drivers lately? If no, do you have Windows update on auto or have you done any such updates?

If either of those have a yes as an answer, you could try a system restore to an earlier configuration and see if the problem persists.

You can also run Process Explorer and then start the system and see if it can help you figure out what exactly is causing the issue. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

do these people that cannot launch have some firewall and/or anti-virus software that they must add BS to their list of exceptions?

:joystick:

ASUS Strix Z790-H, i9-13900, WartHog HOTAS and MFG Crosswind

G.Skill 64 GB Ram, 2TB SSD

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI

55" Sony OLED TV, Oculus VR

Unless there's actual conflicts happening in memory management and such it should be impossible to get that kind of error from firewalls and/or antivirus. The "[executable] has stopped working" is an error report from the Operating System. If the firewall was not letting communication through the problem would firstly not appear on single-player as in this case (launcher.exe is only used in conjunction with single player, multiplayer boots straight into dcs.exe), it would also not cause an OS crash message, it would cause a message from the anti-virus or firewall.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Please attempt to replicate it while running Process Explorer and see if there is upon loading a specific file or dll that launcher.exe fails. Not knowing anything about your computer it is pretty much impossible to troubleshoot the problem. Link to Process explorer is in one of my previous posts in this thread.

Also, you can attempt a system restore in windows in case there's a driver or something that has caused an issue upon being updated.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

If you have another key in action, being pressed, or stuck while hitting launch, it can stop an exe, from executing. Have you tried shutting down any and all othe rprograms that can be shutdown, yet stil have the computer running and able to launch it? If this has already been asked, sorry...

:doh:

ASUS Strix Z790-H, i9-13900, WartHog HOTAS and MFG Crosswind

G.Skill 64 GB Ram, 2TB SSD

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI

55" Sony OLED TV, Oculus VR

Hello,

same Problem here. Reinstalling the Videodrivers fixed the Problem for me!

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7950X3D, System-RAM: 64 GB DDR5, GPU: nVidia 4090, Monitor: LG 38" 3840*1600, VR-HMD: Pimax Crystal, OS: Windows 11Pro, 2*2TB Samsung M.2 SSD, HOTAS: TM Warthog, Paddles: MfG.

From Event Viewer (Vista 32bit... ATI Cat 9.3)

Faulting application Launcher.exe_unknown, version 0.0.0.0

time stamp 0x4933f34b

faulting module atioglxx.dll, version 6.14.10.8543

time stamp 0x49a5b267

exception code 0xc0000005

fault offset 0x007b6182

process id 0xca4

application start time 0x01c9aaf6856e2098.

Fault bucket 1193436662, type 1

Event Name: APPCRASH

Response: http://oca.microsoft.com/resredir.aspx?SID=1&iBucketTable=1&iBucket=1193436662

Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:

P1: Launcher.exe_unknown

P2: 0.0.0.0

P3: 4933f34b

P4: atioglxx.dll

P5: 6.14.10.8543

P6: 49a5b267

P7: c0000005

P8: 007b6182

P9:

P10:

(Vista HP SP1; QX6850; DX48BT2; OCZ 4gig RAM XMP 1333; HX1000w; 4870x2)

Edited by Wolf Rider

City Hall is easier to fight, than a boys' club - an observation :P

"Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us." - Jefferson

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"

Appears to be your graphics driver faulting. I would recommend a downgrade to earlier drivers and/or disabling Catalyst A.I. There are many threads about issues with the 9-series driver and Catalyst A.I.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Why faulting OpenGL dll module? (if that is what it is, ATI seem to be having a huge problem with OGL) and seems to be memory access violation (standing correction)

anyways, ta Ethereal... I've read the work arounds etc... the post was more for people going off track and DCS developer benefit

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

I don't know if it's the case, but I suppose it's possible that launcher.exe uses OpenGL and not D3D. Either that or there's something wonky in the driver that causes it to load up an openGL link library instead of D3D library, and if launcher.exe after that attempts to work with the D3D API while having OpenGL and not D3D... That would cause problems.

Exactly why and how and so on I'm not sure of though.

But definitely does show the kind of error report thing that actually helps with troubleshooting, as opposed to the woefully frequent "launcher.exe/dcs.exe doesn't load, I use Vista/XP/Plan 9 From Bell Labs" which are of course not so easy to do much with. :/ Thanks for that. :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

• 2 weeks later...

Well doesn't this beat all....

I took out my HIS ATI 4870x2 and installed an eVGA GTX285 ( Dets 182.08 ) and guess wot??

Black Shark started and ran through with out crashing though I seem to still be getting some cockpit tearing when panning.

60 - 70 fps ( outside view) without the Vista Affinity trick, 35 fps in cockpit

Edited by Wolf Rider

-

Further...

Vsync seems to work ( :) as it should) also = no tearing and reasonably (except for the odd file load hiccup) no tearing, no stuttering landscape... smooth as.

Rotor blades looked (by comparison to no Vsync) good when viewed from directly above

FMD, 182.50 drivers are better

Edited by Wolf Rider

-

The 8-12 ATI Drivers seem to have the most success with little to no problems that I have seen for BlackShark. That is what I am using on Win XP Pro and I haven't had a problem one. Be interesting to know if you can launch the game using DCSMax by Skypat, though.

Dusty Rhodes

Play HARD, Play FAIR, Play TO WIN

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit / Intel i7 4790 Devils Canyon, 4.0 GIG /ASUS Maximus VII Formula Motherboard/ ASUS GTX 1080 8 GB/ 32 Gigs of RAM / Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog / TrackIR 5 / 2 Cougar MFD's / Saitek Combat Pedals/ DSD Button Box FLT-1

I'm getting the launcher.exe error as well, but I'm also getting this message:

\blackshark\blackshark.lua :198: Lua stack corrupted! File [luamodules\gui\widgettheme.cpp] line [636]

I don't mind reinstalling if it's a corrupted file, but I hate to burn another activation. If I could find the file maybe I could delete it and reinstall over the top of my existing install and it would rewrite it.

Suggestions on avoiding the 2nd pop on my renewal?

Thanks,

Nyxs

As long as no hardware is changed you should not loose any activations from reinstalling.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Wow. It seems it was my ATI card. Rather, I had Catalyst AI enabled. Once disabled, the error went away. I'm finding many games that don't like the AI enabled along with vista64.

Maybe it will help someone...

I am, however, blissfully running it at 2560x1600 4xAA 8XAF - everything maxed out now. This sim is beautiful.

Cheers!

Nyxs

Please help me!

Finally i got the game by mail today! But what a dissapointment when it doesnt work, the launcher.exe just crashes. I have tryed all different compability modes on the shortcut on vista64 desktop and also the different *.exe files in the game directory and redownloaded and reinstalled the driver for my ATI 4850 1GB gfx card, the only shortcut that works is "DCS Black Shark multiplayer" but i cant find anything in there to setup my controllers or my hardware or even get the sim running, i just see the mission editor and can choose some different external cams. Please help me, what should i do next? I have upgraded my computer and bought Saitek x52 pro joysticks, track ir and even built myself a "cockpit" for this helisim only to find out i cant play it!:wacko::crash::wallbash::blink::crazy::sad_2:

edit: I have also tryed all possible combinations in the gfx driver settings including Catalyst AI..

Which version of the driver are you using?

The 9-series is a massive piece of crap, judging by the amount of problems with it. Please see if you can have any luck with 8.12 or similar.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Yeah, the newer drivers have something weird going on with them. :)

Have fun. :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester