Laser range finder is not measuring objects

MBot

The laser range finder is not measuring range to objects but range to terrain behind them. See screenshots below. Screenshot 1 shows a range of 549 m to the base of the tower. Screenshot 2 shows a range of 1159 m to the top of the tower, the same as screenshot 3 which aims at the terrain behind the tower.

Good find.

Not sure if this is just an issue with the Gazelle though.

I seem to remember a few years ago while I was learning the A10C there was a similar issue with the litening pod when using it for targeting. You had to point the laser at the base of the object otherwise it went straight through it and the LGB could miss the target entirely, hitting the laser spot in the distance (which went through the target) rather than the actual aim point on target itself.

Now I'm not sure if this ever got fixed or not on the A10C. Perhaps someone who is current on it could chime in and let us know.

Edited by bart

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

Good find.

Not sure if this is just an issue with the Gazelle though.

I seem to remember a few years ago while I was learning the A10C there was a similar issue with the litening pod when using it for targeting. You had to point the laser at the base of the object otherwise it went straight through it and the LGB could miss the target entirely, hitting the laser spot in the distance (which went through the target) rather than the actual aim point on target itself.

Now I'm not sure if this ever got fixed or not on the A10C. Perhaps someone who is current on it could chime in and let us know.

You are now already the second guy who says that ...

Afaik: the TGP does not know anything about objects like vehicles and whatnot. But it knows about the ground (terrain elevation of the electronic map data). So if the TGP looks at a vehicle and calculates the distance (pythargoras & co), it only takes into account where it's LOS intersects with the ground - behind the vehicle. To get correct calculations, you need the actual distance to the object itself - by lasing it.

So, Flagrum you are saying the laser works correctly in the A-10C module for range finding.

Which leads us to believe it is not working with the Gazelle. Correct?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 10700K OC 5.1GHZ / 500GB SSD & 1TB M:2 & 4TB HDD / MSI Gaming MB / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog

So need to try to replicate this...but it seems like the second picture is actually aimed at the windows in the tower - which the laser would go through since they are transparent. I would try aiming for the top of the tower where its solid.

Will test this weekend when I get a chance as well.

Coder - Oculus Rift Guy - Court Jester

So, Flagrum you are saying the laser works correctly in the A-10C module for range finding.

Which leads us to believe it is not working with the Gazelle. Correct?

Correct. Although I haven't flown the A-10C in a while, I would be surprised if that feature would have stopped working without anyone really noticing it.

However, I fly the Blackshark ... so

Screen_160506_213028.thumb.jpg.a0211f12febbf885c89767de769e6f78.jpg

Screen_160506_215643.jpg.6bfb2d45f8091599d920d83e861075fb.jpg

• Like 1

Yes that's normal, it's the way of working of the camera in DCS, it "locks" on the ground. So it's not a bug, it's just the way of coding which led to this.

Huh!? I am not sure to what you are refering to ...?

The laser gives a wrong distance, that can not be normal. Other lasers in DCS have no problem detecting the presence of an object, other than the ground, in their line of sight - as can be seen on the screen shots.

The laser gives a wrong distance, that can not be normal. Other lasers in DCS have no problem detecting the presence of an object, other than the ground, in their line of sight - as can be seen on the screen shots.

Yeah, the Ka-50's laser works just like it should, as does the A-10's laser.

The Gazelle's laser doesn't.

And dimitriov I would consider this a bug (or at least an oversight) as it doesn't work as it should do.

This will also affect getting a firing clearance for the scenario OP has given. Sure, you can aim at the ground in front of the building and then slew the aim up, but that's not the way it should have to be done.

Check out my YouTube: xxJohnxx

Intel i7 6800k watercooled | ASUS Rampage V Edition 10 | 32 GB RAM | Asus GTX1080 watercooled

I think what he was saying is that the issue here is maybe not a bug per se but rather the consequence of not using the correct ranging method in the code.

That would mean that the ranging here is "working as intended" for the particular method (camera ranging tied to the ground), even though it is not the result we should have (by using a laser ranging).

But I don't have the code so I may be saying complete BS.

I think what he was saying is that the issue here is maybe not a bug per se but rather the consequence of not using the correct ranging method in the code.

That would mean that the ranging here is "working as intended" for the particular method (camera ranging tied to the ground), even though it is not the result we should have (by using a laser ranging).

But I don't have the code so I may be saying complete BS.

Was exactly my point ;)

Of course it is basically a bug. Just tried to give you a nice explanation.

• 3 weeks later...

grab the template from:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2780295&postcount=1

And copy and paste it into here with all the information. We need to know if which version your were in and a little more information. Thanks.

Using the range finder the labels said the targets were 2 km away but the range finder said 4900m, i was getting attacked because i had to get within 1.4km and still the range finder said 4400m??

Coder - Oculus Rift Guy - Court Jester

Using the range finder the labels said the targets were 2 km away but the range finder said 4900m, i was getting attacked because i had to get within 1.4km and still the range finder said 4400m??

The range finder also currently has trouble with mountain tops, it looks right through them.

Intel 9600K@4.9GHz, Asus Z390, 32GB DDR4, EVGA RTX 3070, Custom Water Cooling, 970 EVO 1TB NVMe

34" UltraWide 3440x1440 Curved Monitor, 21" Touch Screen MFD monitor, TIR5

My Pit Build, VKB Gunfighter Pro w/WH Grip, TMWH Throttle, MFG Crosswinds W/Combat Pedals, Cougar MFDs, Custom A-10C panels, Custom Helo Collective, SimShaker with Transducer