Wags

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

160 Mbps downlink??? Where do you Live?

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Yeah! Here in Germany it's more focussed on telecommunication companies revenue! Invest only where necessary... 16-50Mbit is more at the upper edge of standards. Cable offers more, but comes with proprietary hardware. :(

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Yeah, so that should be sufficient to host for a "few clients"... :D

As I said biggest issue should be the latency. (Ping)

I even do host a TeamSpeak in parallel, though it requires very little bandwidth...

Shagrat

Yeah! Here in Germany it's more focussed on telecommunication companies revenue! Invest only where necessary... 16-50Mbit is more at the upper edge of standards. Cable offers more, but comes with proprietary hardware. :(

Come on fellow countryman, we're outta here.... In our Neandertal province we must be very, very glad if we get 12 MBit/s downstream and 1Mbit/ upstream.

Every nation all around lives in the present and so optic fibre is standard, while we're still proud that we finally got rid of 56k....

And no, we are not talking about the Democratic Republic of the Congo or the Easter Island, but rather about Germany...

Yepp! German Telekom made good money with the network build with German taxpayer's money. They just never did invest larger sums in new infrastructure! Rather they invested in buildings, buying new companies etc.

Now they are years behind the market standard, they want the customers or taxpayers to give them money to build a modern network... every small company on this planet knows it has to reinvest the money you earn to keep up with the market or at least to have something to sell! Now Telekom... go figure!

:(

Shagrat

As Telekom has a monopol on the infrastructure they can simply lay back and throw the money at the investors. Then the politicians will decree that the taxpayer will have to help paying for the new infrastructure. That's why it is a very bad idea to give infrastructure in the care of private companies.

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i9-9900@5Ghz, 32 Gig RAM, MSI RTX 3080 TI, 2 TB SSD, 43" 2160p@1440p monitor.

^^^this!!! +1000

Shagrat

Hey, let's privatize the Police! They get paid per arrest, so they'll work with higher determination and more effectively... well, or they'll quickly realize that they just need to arrest people to earn a lot of money. :D

EDIT: this gets a bit of topic, sorry...

Edited by shagrat

Shagrat

They could always pull a 'You need to pay for the new rendering engine and these modules/maps require the new rendering engine'.

They could also give it to us free and make us pay for the maps and modules.

Or we could have to buy everything over again.

Or WWIII could start. We just don't know.

I would gladly take it so that

1) the engine update is free (EDGE)

2. map will have a good price like $7,99-9,99 (convert it to euro, don't translate so 5,59-7,49€) what isn't big deal to buy and will give nicely money to ED. + A-10C beta owners get it as free

3. Every module gets upgraded if required. No more same tricks like what Black Shark 2 was (unnecessary payment for DCS World upgrade! Left bad taste to mouth!)

4. Start delivering new maps for low price ($9,99/7,49€).

For low prices even I would gladly buy couple ones. But if price goes too high (past 10€) I start considering and might pick only one (if such thing happens).

Same thing is with modules, sure the $49,99 price sounds nice but it forces people (even earning 5k€ a month) consider the worth of them.

But they have definitely updated their business strategy and knows what pricing works among enthusiasts so I will shut up now :)

ps. Would it be possible to start getting the different plane variants as paid upgrades? Like buy the base model (first variant) for higher price like $19,99 and then start releasing upgrade variants for $4,99 each? Variants being easier to develop as the changes are usually much smaller than what whole model requires. Sure they require work to be done but if it is small adjustments to model and then algorithms for internal parts...

That was reason why I bought A-10A and Su-25A because they were cheap older variants from A-10C and Su-25T, even when my flight time with those older ones are way shorter than improved ones (and those were picked from sales at $4,99 price range). Or would it turn DCS too much "Pay-to-survive"?

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Next DCS version is 2.0.0

If they follow your pricing model and release stuff at $5...(some iPhone games are priced at more expensive prices than that and you want a simulation to be priced that way?) They will go out of business and cannot even pay their employees. Remember when wags mentioned that 120k was a stretch to even develop the AFM on a single aircraft... Not to mention that does not include 3d models, integration, avionics, weapons etc.

people who complain these modules are expensive need to contemplate and try to examine how much work it is to create these things. No one is complaining when EA or activison or code masters release their annual franchises at $60 an entry with literally roster updates.

Simple solution.. If u can't afford $50 modules... Don't buy it or wait for a sale. But don't try to impose ED to give away their products at unreasonable prices.

Edited by Witchking

WHISPR | Intel I7 5930K | Nvidia GTX980 4GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR4 | Intel 730 series 512GB SSD | Thrustmaster WARTHOG | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR4 pro |

|A-10C|BS2 |CA|P-51 MUSTANG|UH-1H HUEY|MI-8 MTV2 |FC3|F5E|M2000C|AJS-37|FW190|BF 109K|Mig21|A-10:SSC,EWC|L-39|NEVADA|

$50 is pretty damn steep for a map. I've never complained about the price of DCS modules or recommended that things should be discounted from the current pricing structure (I am a finance guy and understand the cost of development and the necessity of strong margins), but $50 for one single map seems quite high. Even thinking about it in the most simple terms, you are going to try to command the same price for a 360km by 360km map of Nevada that you do for a fully modeled Warthog jet ? Interesting pricing strategy, respectfully, IMO.

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

• ED Team

I am not sure we have seen the level of detail in a map this size, in a flight-sim like this yet.... but that isnt the final say on pricing... just estimated right now... I think these maps, if done right will take as long as PFM/ASM aircraft to develop....

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Actually if the map has correct coordinates, runways, taxiways, frequencies, moving map (for A-10 and F-18 ) and fully correct real world navigational aids as well as destructible buildings I would pay $50. If it's just an 'empty shell' that price falls drastically.

Actually if the map has correct coordinates, runways, taxiways, frequencies, moving map (for A-10 and F-18 ) and fully correct real world navigational aids as well as destructible buildings I would pay $50. If it's just an 'empty shell' that price falls drastically.

This is basically how I feel. I'm willing to pay the extra money for just a map only if the map is fully functional in the areas mentioned by Sabredog and others. In the end that's some of the most important stuff in any flight sim. If it's only full of eye candy and not any real substance then I'll probably wait for a sale before picking it up.

50$ for a piece of map??? Awfully. I would not have paid $ 50 for that even if they gave me gratis a U.S. passport with her.

Немој ништа силом, узми већи чекић!

MSI Tomahawk MAX | Ryzen 7 3700x | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | RX 5700 XT OC Red Dragon 8GB | VPC Throttle CM3 + VPC Constellation ALPHA on VPC WarBRD Base | HP Reverb G2

Youtube Follow Me on TWITCH! 

At this point I don't care what it costs. I just want to take a screen shot without mountains that look like background from the movie "The Point".

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup: