F-14A/B DEVELOPMENT UPDATE #2

Cobra847

Sorry if this has been covered. I know in real life computers control the sweep of the wings, is there a way for the pilots to manually override the computer, and if so will this manual override be included in this model?

Either way, when this thing comes out, I plan on spending several days just watching the wings sweep.

Yes there is a manual way to operate the swing of the wings

F14Adescr_downleft%20config_zpsnhlpyqyl.jpg

In the circle you can see the manual lever that operates the swing under a case.

hope that helps :)

Link to my Imgur screenshots and motto

http://imgur.com/a/Gt7dF

One day in DCS... Vipers will fly along side Tomcats... Bugs with Superbugs, Tiffy's with Tornado's, Fulcrums with Flankers and Mirage with Rafales...

:)The Future of DCS is a bright one:)

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as I know the manual sweep cannot be lower (i.e. forward) the computed angle (because of risk structural damage).

I saw a documentary where a seasoned pilot explains that during a mock up dogfight he put the wingsweep in manual and this led the rookie pilot who was against him to overstimate his speed, giving the former pilot an advantage.

Funny story, I don't remember where I saw that unfortunately...

Actually, with the emergency wing sweep override lever, you can set the wings on lower speed. If you use manual wing sweep, you can't. Using the emergency override can lead to structural damage at higher speeds, because of the sudden boost in lift however.

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

thanks for the input. i was always curious if at airshows when they would do those slow rolls where they'd sweep the wings if they were accelerating through the right speed, or if the pilot was simply moving a lever.

Edited by foou

Awesome communication, great day 1 buy for me and my wingman (we both have RIOs in place already, just need the cat ;)

Carry on LN. You're plainly awesome!

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Leatherneck, what happened to the F-14 site page that was about to go up? You said it was almost finished when this thread went up.

Just curious to see if anything changed or I missed something :)

Link to my Imgur screenshots and motto

http://imgur.com/a/Gt7dF

One day in DCS... Vipers will fly along side Tomcats... Bugs with Superbugs, Tiffy's with Tornado's, Fulcrums with Flankers and Mirage with Rafales...

:)The Future of DCS is a bright one:)

Leatherneck, what happened to the F-14 site page that was about to go up? You said it was almost finished when this thread went up.

I was thinking about this a few weeks ago.

I bet that all of the images and info planned for the website were posted in "Update #2" and LNS decided to continue updating their website for the new products set for release in late 2015.

Cobra mentioned that the other modules will likely be announced around August or so - most likely after the release of DCS2 (hence the announcement could be pushed back further if the platform is not ready, especially since at least one is supposed to have an associated map).

Thats my guess at least. :)

-Nick

thanks for the input. i was always curious if at airshows when they would do those slow rolls where they'd sweep the wings if they were accelerating through the right speed, or if the pilot was simply moving a lever.

He is actually using a 4 position hat-switch on the side of the throttle. There is also a manual override that is lever operated - used for emergencies or setting oversweep for parking on deck.

-Nick

I hope they came to the conclusion that having a fancy website is more or less a time waster. As much as I dislike Facebook and Twitter, they are pretty much custom made for customers and future customers up to date.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cockpit Spectator Mode

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, former US Navy F-14A and B Mechanic here.

You see the gun exhaust port (grill on top of the port intake behind the 'Relay Rack'). Okay now you see those two ECS ducts that are open? It seems you have them as a solid piece. They actually move up and down. And inside the intake you have ramps that slide up and down controlling the amount of air coming it. I forget what they are called because I am trying to remember something from over 20yrs ago. I think the positions were Mach 1.5 and Mach 2.63. I can't remember if the 'B' model had 'Glove Vanes' or not. I do know the 'A' model does though.

Are you going to include the TARPS pod as well?

See the ramp operation here:

f14-detail-airintake-01.gif

141563_348499406_variable-geometryintake.jpg

Edited by SPEKTRE76

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

NEED DESIGN PROJECTS FOR YOUR CAMPAIGNS? PM ME.

BTW If you want to animate a ground crew. I can act out the 'Plane Captain' start up sequence. I can still do it 21 years later, LOL. You will probably want to model the support equipment too like the 'Huffer' and the 'Geni'.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

BTW If you want to animate a ground crew. I can act out the 'Plane Captain' start up sequence. I can still do it 21 years later, LOL. You will probably want to model the support equipment too like the 'Huffer' and the 'Geni'.

I love the idea of animated ground crew!

Okay Leatherneck guys. With the help of my Veteran Shipmates I was able to find out what the support equipment was.

The Huffer: NCPP-105 (for the 1980's and 90's)

1400800070im.jpg

The Geni: NC-10C MEPP

1400800064im.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You should totally do that, regardless if there will be such a thing in DCSW soon. Someone could take it and create something like that as a mod.

So grab your webcam and do it! :)

Can the Jester AI please be named Goose AI and the voices be ripped out of TOP GUN? I'd love to hear Maverick and Goose while fighting some MiG-28s :pilotfly:

Oh and a MiG-28 skin for the F-5 is of course mandatory :thumbup:

Edited by TaccoZ__Amigo1__
stupidity

Death is just nature's way of telling you to watch your airspeed. :pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Can the Jester AI please be named Goose AI and the voices be ripped out of TOP GUN? I'd love to hear Maverick and Goose while fighting some MiG-28s :pilotfly:

I think that the only thing that goose did in top gun was screaming.... Real pilots remais a little cooler during combat.... :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Your eyes only see what your mind is ready to comprehend"

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Asus Z170 Pro Gaming - Intel I7-6700K - 16GB DDR4 @ 2400MHz HyperX Savage - Strix GTX 960 DC II 2GB OC Edition - Seagate 1TB

Goose is dead bro... Let it go.

I'd rather have a live RIO anyway... or pilot in this case.:pilotfly:

Truly superior pilots are those that use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

"If at first you don't succeed, Carrier Landings are not for you!"

I'm pretty sure anyone can mod the sound files and liveries... LN doesn't need to waste time on this