DCS Mirage 2000C Discussion

Bluedrake42

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

superb.

which kind of weapons will we have? i know very few things about mirage and i can't wait to learn and fly and kill something with this baby

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

superb.

which kind of weapons will we have? i know very few things about mirage and i can't wait to learn and fly and kill something with this baby

R-550 Magic II (heatseeker, like an AIM-9L/M Sidewinder)

Super 530D (semi-active radar homing, like an AIM-7M Sparrow)

SNEB 68mm rocket pods (18 rockets each)

Twin 30mm cannons (125 rounds each)

Mark 82 bombs (500lbs each)

GBU-12 (no way to self-lase, needs help from other units to guide them)

BLG-66 Belouga (cluster bomb, not mentioned by RAZBAM yet but I think early M2K's can use them)

AM-39 Exocet (subsonic anti-ship missile)

AS-37 ARMAT (anti-radar missile)

So we can dogfight, engage BVR, ground pound, use precision guided bombs with the help of other aircraft, as well as do SEAD or anti-ship missions. Lots of gameplay variety!

Edited by Zakatak

Been working on the DCS Mirage 2000C

Right now it can fire the cannons and the SNEB rockets. At this time the gunsight for both cannon and rockets are deemed finished.

It has two settings: dynamic and fixed. With dynamic, the sight moves around the HUD calculating the bullet/rocket impact point based on aircraft speed, attitude, etc.

On fixed, it just has a basic bullet drop calculation based on range.

The sight range can be changed between 700 to 4000 meters.

No video at this time, perhaps on Sunday.

There was quite a discussion on french forums about the video where you shoot rockets. In this video the gunsight was fixed, wasn't it ?

In the real world, it's a BVR fighter. In a sim scenario, still a BVR fighter. By DCS/Lockon airquake standards, maybe you're right.

The good thing about airframes is, they are built and evolve, get adopted over the years.

A-10, F-16, Mig-21 where all planned and designed for different scenarios than what they are used for now...

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Will razbam planning to make 2000C evolve in a model that can carry more then 4 AA missiles?

i7 2600k -- Noctua NH-D14--Asrock Z75 Pro3--ASUS GTX970 Strix --16Go Ripjaws X 1333--Thermaltake Smart M650--CoolerMaster Silencio 652S--AOC E2752VQ-- Sandisk Extreme II 480GB--Saitek X-52 Pro --SAITEK PZ35 Pedals

Screenshots and video looks great!

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | ASUS Crosshair Hero X670E | 64GB G Skill Trident Z DDR5 6000 | Nvidia RTX 4090 FE| Samsung EVO Plus 6 TB M.2 PCIe SSDs | TM Hornet Stick/WinWing Hornet Throttle and MIP | VPC T-50 Stick Base | TM TPR Rudder Pedals W/Damper | Varjo Aero/Pimax Crystal

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

Carrier Strike Group One(CSG-1) Discord

In the real world, it's a BVR fighter. In a sim scenario, still a BVR fighter. By DCS/Lockon airquake standards, maybe you're right.

And IMO, 2 SARH + 2 IR missiles makes a better gameplay - giving more probability to go in dogfight, with more challenge (if everybody has an equivalent payload) - than 8 SARH missiles... Unfortunatly, as you say, the DCS standard is 8 R27 missiles vs 8 AIM7/120, that makes the gameplay a little bit strange.

The dogfight-heavy armament of the Mirage 2000C is is going to be great for gameplay. I think the aircraft will pair really nice with the MiG-29, both in terms of performance and capability.

The Super 530D missiles of the Mirage 2000C have to be seen in the historical context of the 1980s. In one of the Mirage's primary roles of providing air-defense to France, the major targets would have been cruise missile carrying Tu-22M2/3, high and fast recon/bomber MiG-25 and low flying Su-24. To intercept these, two Super 530D were an adequate armament. Due to the IFF problem, fighter combat in the 1980s was still dominantly WVR, with BVR shots being a rare exception (see 1982 Beqaa Valley)*. The highly maneuverable Mirage 2000C was well suited to participate in such air combat over Germany with R.550 Magic II missiles and guns.

*Unfortunately IFF in DCS is perfect.

Edited by MBot

Does IFF work in real life? Do Su-27 pilots see a double row of dots on their HUD? I ask this since you mentioned IFF... I watched an interview with an aviation expert and he says there is no way to tell friend from foe

Edited by Gargoil

Does IFF work in real life?

In RL, IFF generally only tells you if a contact is friendly or unknown. An unknown contact could be either hostile, neutral or friendly (without compatible/operating IFF transponder). So a negative IFF response alone cannot be the basis to declare a contact hostile, there needs to be some other means, such as visual identification, AWACS, GCI or a higher level ROE (for example shoot everything flying westwards in a certain area). In 1982 the Israeli F-15, even with AWACS support, had a standing visual identification rule in effect. Unfortunately the AI in DCS has no concept of unknown contacts and is always instantly aware who is friendly and who is hostile, as is the radar of the player.

I think aircraft such as the Mirage 2000C would profit a lot from more fidelity in this area.

• Like 1

There was quite a discussion on french forums about the video where you shoot rockets. In this video the gunsight was fixed, wasn't it ?

Yes. In the rocket test video the gunsight was fixed at the 0,0 point. Now the fixed sight drops from that position based on ballistic drop properties for the DEFA rounds and the rockets.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

Just one note regarding weapons, sensors and how the work in real life vs. in the sim.

Unfortunately the French are really paranoid about their weapons systems and do not release any information to the public that they feel uncomfortable with, even when said weapon has been in the open for decades. Many of the weapons and sensor workings are based on open source documents which are very sparse in detail. So we must make educated guesses as to how the displays work and the like.

What I am trying to say is do not expect every single HUD view or VTB view be exactly as their real life counterpart. We are working with you tube screen grabs and whatnot and hopefully we will have a very small CEP on systems fidelity.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

In RL, IFF has the ability positively ID a foe. You have to have the right stuff though. I suggest looking up COMBAT TREE ... and I'll mention that the F-15 -34 lists a 'correlated enemy target symbol' for IFF.

In RL, IFF generally only tells you if a contact is friendly or unknown.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda