Thrustmaster Warthog with F15 style grip

Hey guys, Ive got something to share.

I Had a Suncom F15E stick for a while and access to a seperate TM Warthog grip, ordered a 3D printed part and merged the two together.

I'm still wondering how to jam the shifterboard inside the grip and whether to leave the Auto acquisition switch as it is or make it a 3 way switch as in the real deal or the Mirage(might even mod a 4-way CMS switch from the donor grip into it).

SGzSA7r.jpg

LFK3Zfy.jpg

aS4ztxY.jpg

w37SEH4.jpg

The custom tailpiece is extended 2 to 3 Cm compared to the original TM tailpiece which adds to more stick travel.

7Osh2DP.jpg

WizBJ0t.jpg

iCDaXEb.jpg

Ruh8CMl.jpg

Curently a single-press button Auto acquisition switch. Not alot of room for a DMS/TMS 4 way switcher from the donor grip.

Nm8iwHw.jpg

The 2 sticks are close in dimensions and the small extension is really nice with helicopters or prop planes.

• Like 1

Very cool.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Place a 5 way navigation switch under "Auto acquisition switch" - 4 directions + central click - as "Quod abundat non nocet" and you dont't will use this stick only for F-15's.

At least in Suncom F-15 grip that I see is used a diode matrix for connect grip HAT's and buttons, this means you cant' reuse the PCB trails without some modifications.

I find more easy remove these trails (saw with Dremel) and solder new wires direct in HAT/buttons pins.

In is need connectors for fit Warthog Shift Register PBC, if the space between pins is 2,5mm you can use this cables - cut in middle and solder wire tips in HAT/buttons pins.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/40Pin-1P-2-54mm-to-2P-2-0mm-Female-Breadboard-Jumper-Cables-Wire-10cm-/311422027458?hash=item48823306c2:g:iKsAAOSwu4BV33rL

In Warthog Shift Register PCB each 5 pin connector is for 4 buttons, one pin is +5V common for these buttons, e.g. one HAT.

BTW - One that want do this model dont need a second Warthog grip, is easy and cheap make Shift Register boards - Debolesis draw the needed PCB.

Edited by Sokol1_br

I've modified my F15 stick with Warthog buttons and PCB.

I hotglued the buttons so it isn't pretty, but it work just fine for me!

The PCB is free floating in the middle of the grip.

I used drill bits to enlarge some of the button holes, used a dremel for the rest.

So if you want to use the original buttons there will probably be more room for the PCB and I'm sure if you take your time, it will be prettier than mine.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=138114

Question on this, as I would like to try this myself: Both of my Warthog Grips are spoken for, but would it be possible to use an old Cougar Grip? I do have one of those laying around...

i9 12900k @ 4.9ghz, 32gb RAM

Nvidia RTX 3090

Windows 11 x64

Valve Index

Brunner CLS-E w/RS F16GRH, Virpil TCS Rotor Plus Collective, BRD F1 Pedals, WH Throttle, FSSB R3 w/WH Grip, PointCTRL v1

Question on this, as I would like to try this myself: Both of my Warthog Grips are spoken for, but would it be possible to use an old Cougar Grip? I do have one of those laying around...

Yes, the Shift Register PCB in Cougar is the same of Warthog, you can use even Tm F16FLCS, F22PRO grips.

If one want use a B-8 grip (Tm FCS) just plug HAT and 4 buttons in the Shift Register.

I think that Defender Cobra M5 grip is too compatible, since use CD4021B based Shift Register.

I have 2 Warthog grips - one I use on the Warthog base and a second that I use on my FSSB R3 base.

I guess I had the force on my FSSB R3 higher than it should have been because the Warthog grip snapped on the part highlighted in the image below. It's soft metal and I guess not really ideal for force-sensing stick pressure. Anyway, I just bought another Warthog stick to replace the grip. Wondering if the part you have on the F-15 stick could stand up to the force used with the FSSB R3.

Would be great if I could find someone to machine that part out of stainless steel or something stronger that can take the repeated force used with a force sensing stick. :joystick:

highlighted.thumb.jpg.f9b07ffac92ac325fe3cb10b6332044b.jpg

You can order in Shapeways the 3D printed part in metal (steel) and aluminum (expensive).

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/debolestis

And try fit a steel tube inside the piece for reinforce more, to use in FSSB. *

Warthog/Cougar metal is the cheap Zamac - used to make jewelry, door handles...

BTW - Debolesis plastic 3D printed version has more thicker walls for reinforcement:

625x465_13405901_8366903_1459355754.jpg

* In metal version is less tick to save material and lower costs. If want can ask Debolesis to make the plastic version above available to be printed in metal - will cost more.

Edited by Sokol1_br

I have 2 Warthog grips - one I use on the Warthog base and a second that I use on my FSSB R3 base.

I guess I had the force on my FSSB R3 higher than it should have been because the Warthog grip snapped on the part highlighted in the image below. It's soft metal and I guess not really ideal for force-sensing stick pressure. Anyway, I just bought another Warthog stick to replace the grip. Wondering if the part you have on the F-15 stick could stand up to the force used with the FSSB R3.

Would be great if I could find someone to machine that part out of stainless steel or something stronger that can take the repeated force used with a force sensing stick. :joystick:

Debolestis has a Shapeways page with the part you need. Not exactly cheap for a printed stainless tailstock from them, but then again neither would a replacement from TM these days, plus it's flat out nicer and much cheaper than the cast bronze ones the Ribbstick folks offer.

He also has them with the fwd pitch to correct the ergonomics where they should be, TM made the stick too vertical to reduce its already nose-heavy condition, but on a FSSB gimbals that's a non-issue.

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/debolestis

edit: of course Sokol already posted this :p

Edited by Thadiun Okona

Hi guys, I wasn't here for two days and this thread happened. I haven't tested Suncom to TM adapter yet (I ordered it a few days ago), I am glad that it works. I'd like to add a few things:

sways_zpspajvrct3.jpg

Any model can be printed in metal or plastic, you just have to select material. When material is selected a new price will be shown.

I made this ticker version of TM tailpiece for plastic prints. Plastic is actually nylon and it is very strong. A version of it (first version with less plastic) was tested on Warthog base and it worked just fine. I think there is no need for metal prints anyway. But if you choose stainless steel know that it is many times stronger from TM original material, I worked on one tail piece and it was very hard to drill. Any version can be printed in metal or plastic.

If you want to mod F15 grip, there is no need now to cannibalize shift register board from other TM hardware. You can make one for your self. Like in this photo:

IMG_20160517_162137_zpsosdxxzk7.jpg

I posted these boards on my OSH Park page, They have free shipping and price is for 3 PCBs. I waited for about 3 weeks for my order to arrive to Croatia from USA.

I started to work on 4Way switches and knobs that are compatible with Warthog (I hope). This is now in test phase, I made knobs for F15 grip as well.

pov1_zps0dh91rhf.png

pov5_zpsga1ckd03.png

In my opinion, if you mod Suncom F15 grip to TM base, original PCB must be removed, Shift register PCB is needed and switches must be similar to CH or TM 4way switches.

I have one request. I sold so far 61 models but I had almost no feedback. So please guys if you order something post a few photos on my Shapewys store or in this thread. Feedback is important to me so that I can make necessary improvements.

Flashben can I use your photos in my Shapeways store?

Thank you!

• 2 years later...

Not sure if a support ring made of plastic would help reduce the stress, but I shared the design of a 3D-printable one, in case people find it useful.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3114647

Edited by ntsarb

[quote=debolestis;2789660

I have one request. I sold so far 61 models but I had almost no feedback. So please guys if you order something post a few photos on my Shapewys store or in this thread. Feedback is important to me so that I can make necessary improvements.

Thank you!

I will post a review of the tailpiece as soon as I get home...Also look for a PM regarding the Shift Registers.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

I have an old TM Cougar and a nearly new TM X-fighter (B8 grip). I'm looking to strip the Cougar grip and rebuild/update the B8 grip for use in my P-51 sim. Thinking the only real change I need make is a stronger tailpeice to support an extension the approximate length of the P-51 stick. Everything else should be good to go.

Edited by Bazooka
spelling error

• 2 months later...

Can I bu one from yoU

Regards,

Snowman_one

Gary Argue II

“De Oppresso Liber” — "To Free the Oppressed."

email: gargue@gmail.com

I am a Dyslexic and Disabled. So if you can't read something i wrote email me and write some back explaining and I'll get back to you.

So Now I have a lot of time to flight and learn. I fly FA-18c, AV-8a, F-15, A-10C and X-plane 777 and 737.

I Can't fly for real any more and can't work :pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My problem is the f-15 is an Eagle not a Raptor that’s the f-22

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

My problem is the f-15 is an Eagle not a Raptor that’s the f-22

It's just a product name, from quite a few years ago - don't worry about it!

i7-4770k | EVGA GTX 980 SC | 16GB DDR3 | TrackIR 5, TM Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals

DCS: F-16C, F/A-18C, F-14A/B, AV-8B, FC3, A-10C, Black Shark II, UH-1H, F-86F, MiG-21bis, Mirage 2000C, AJS-37, F-5E :pilotfly:

• 2 years later...