Still Got Dumb Wingman

GAJ52

I can't seem to get my wingman to attack a target from a safe distance. Even using Datalink I send him to a safe distance to attack a target then he attacks the target while moving forward and ends up being shot down because he is now too close to other enemy units.

I don't see many posts on this subject so others are either ignoring there wingmen or they have found a way to control then better than me.

Any advice appreciated

Glen

GAJ52

Intel i7-7700K @ 4.60GHz | 32 GB Ram | Win 10 Pro 64 | GTX 1080i 11.00MB | Saitek X52 Pro

Shoot him at the FARP, it's the humane thing to do.

You'll find many threads on the AI over the forums. Generally ED is getting the AI to behave better and he can count to ten without using his fingers now, but you'd honestly be much better off getting to know some guys in a squadron and flying with another human. At least we understand what you mean when you call us a F£@}#G MORON :)

Coming from the UK, you should look up the 159th, they're a great bunch of guys.

Edited by Highwayman-Ed
  • Like 3

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon

32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR3200 RAM

MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio

40" Panasonic TH-40DX600U @ 4K

Pimax Vision 8K Plus / Oculus Rift CV1 / HTC Vive

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

Windows 10 64 Bit Home Edition

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Shoot him at the FARP, it's the humane thing to do......

:megalol:

Best Advice I've heard in a While........So True!

:D

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

I do not have this problem at all. By using combinations of DL ingress and attack points, I got through most of the campaign missions with fewer kills than my wingmen, and its very rare that any get shot down. I always play the role of commander and flank security, hovering 2-3 kms back and assigning targets, as well as responding to enemy air defenses and enemy helicopters when they appear. I let my wingmen handle the destruction of the bulk of the enemy ground forces.

I am always baffled at how different my experience with the AI is compared to what I've seen written on here. Perhaps I'll post a track soon showing how I command my wingmen.

Also, wingmen can be a very strong asset even if you don't command from behind the front line. Just give your wingy a 'Cover Me' command as you run in on your attack; should you get ambushed by SAMs or AAA, the wingman will engage the new threats on his own.

Edited by slug88

Given that the 50 was designed [or not] to be a SF Support copter, and not an all out attack chopper, 7/10 times it might act as 1 not 2 ship flights.

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

ok have to disagree with you guys about the dumb wingman. dont thing there dumb I think they really are working for the otherside or at least is getting bribed. yesterday i was coming around the side of a mountain and pulling into a hover to check out the valley when my wingman was kind enough to fly into the side of me. riped off my left wing and started an engine fire. oh thanks for the help. must have been a glancing blow we were both still in the air so I figured hell just send him home. he quickly flew into the valley and was kind enough to show me where the AA was as missle popped up and turned my idoit friend into a smoking crater.

• Like 1

ok have to disagree with you guys about the dumb wingman. dont thing there dumb I think they really are working for the otherside or at least is getting bribed. ...oh thanks for the help.

I'm pretty convinced as well. I don't think they're so much following me as stalking me, waiting for me to slip up so he can shoot me down and take my vodka. And my woman. In that order.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

ok have to disagree with you guys about the dumb wingman. dont thing there dumb I think they really are working for the otherside or at least is getting bribed. yesterday i was coming around the side of a mountain and pulling into a hover to check out the valley when my wingman was kind enough to fly into the side of me. riped off my left wing and started an engine fire. oh thanks for the help. must have been a glancing blow we were both still in the air so I figured hell just send him home. he quickly flew into the valley and was kind enough to show me where the AA was as missle popped up and turned my idoit friend into a smoking crater.

..this has happened to me more times than you would think. Now I tell them to hold position when moving into a hover slightly ahead of them

Win 10pro x64 | i5 2500 | 16GB RAM | GTX1060 6GB | Logitech G940 | Tir5 + TC

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

OK idoit wingman part #2 just did it to me. had 3 wingman and was camped out 4k from the target area and told them to cover me. and was steadly popping bad guys with missles. a 1 hind killed all 3 of my wingman and they never said a word. you know a nice like message like "2 IM GOING IN!!" or just a good old "AAAAAGGGG" nope not a peep. first I knew was the hind ripping my nice little bird with alot of holes. wasnt till afterward when I looked at the mission report i saw that, that one hind had killed all 3 of them by himself. uggg. so not only can they not fly stright they suck at self deffense. and ever worse at deffending me!!

• 5 months later...

Idiot wingman part #3:

My advice to everyone: if you want to survive and play safe never ever give wingmans any order when they are in tailformation.

Give a wingman in tailformation an order could work well 50 times. But there is a 51th time.

My story begins with:

Once upon a time there was a player in an hover with 1 wingman in wide tailformation behind him

The end should be not a great mystery.

Edited by zdXu

Occasionally I will have a mission where the wingman is an asset but 90% of the time he is a liability. I am NOT looking forward to the first 2-seat DCS aircraft since competent AI is not something ED is close to proving itself capable of.

If smarter wingmen are not in the cards, at least increase the commandability of wingmen so I can do their thinking for them.

Edited by Frederf

I don't know if it is bad form or not to change the wingman skill level in the mission editor, but I find it an easy solution to this common frustration. Most times, in the default campaign, I find the wingman is set at the lowest skill level, so I bump them up one or two. This seems to cure them of the "don't fire 'till you see the whites of their eyes" syndrome. I suppose the higher skill level the more CPU the little guy eats up, ... ?

2600K @ 4.2GHz, MSI P67A-GD55, 16GB G.Skill @2133 , GTX 970, Rift, SSD boot & DCS drive

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Frederf, I think wingmen were extremely "command-able", and if used right you could fly just about every one of the stock SP missions without firing a single weapon yourself. That is, until patch 1.01, which severely broke the wingman AI. I hope it's fixed with the coming FC2.0 compatibility patch.

I mean commands like "Don't fly closer than 4km from the target" or "you WILL use cannon-AP rounds on this attack run" or "when attack is finished return to ingress point." Those commands have never been available in DCS:BS.

It's odd, they haven't been so stupid for me, in the Georgian Oil War campaign my wingman has be only shot down once. In the last mission though, I returned with my hydraulics shot out, and no autopilots, my no.2 with no nose gear ad almost all access hatches gone, and no.3 was missing a wing. Is there a way to drop the gear manually?ScreenShot_032.jpg?t=1266173253

Edited by norm

I mean commands like "Don't fly closer than 4km from the target" or "you WILL use cannon-AP rounds on this attack run" or "when attack is finished return to ingress point." Those commands have never been available in DCS:BS.

Ah, point taken. I agree, I hope we can some day get at least this level of control.